Rigging up and BC Spoon and Blue Fox #5

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sealegs
Warrant Officer

Rigging up and BC Spoon and Blue Fox #5

Post by sealegs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:24 pm

I just purchased my first BC Spoon and Blue Fox. I've been using DN with leader and dropper. Now it's time for try the BC Spoon and Blue Fox.

Could I use the same setup with leader and dropper or is there a move effective setup?

mallard83
Commodore

Re: Rigging up and BC Spoon and Blue Fox #5

Post by mallard83 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:41 pm

No need for the dropper on either, tie straight to your main. They are a weighted lure to begin with. There is a time and place for every lure, too many variables to explain in detail. Just more effective to fish them without the extra junk associated with a DN rig.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Make sure to put a #5 barrel swivel on the front of your spoon and do the same thing to your siwash. It prevents twist and the swivel attached to your siwash lets the hook rotate 360 degrees.

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:40 pm

wow great advice ( high five) thanks!!

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:55 am

Make sure your snap swivel has a positive snap like the snap on the front of a plug. Also use the swivels with a good round shape to the snap, some have a Wierd 45 degree shape and will ruin your spoons action. Or you can use a split ring and plane barrel swivel and leave them on your spoons and just re tie when changing. As said, using such lures successfully is more complex than you would think. But basically, if you have good current just cast straight out from you and let it drift, if you get a good thump,thump, thump of action it is working. In slower water slowly reel in until you feel it working. Many times people reel too fast and pull the spoon too far off the bottom. Good luck, next to plugs, there is nothing like a strike on a spoon :cheers: as for finish,matte silver will catch any fish in the river, copper brass are excellent too.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Matching blade color to water temp, light conditions, and turbidity is very important also, however that is an all new can of worms. I suggest buying a book or doing a bit of research to unlock all of those mysteries.