Tough times, sell all fishing gear

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
returnofthefish
Captain

Tough times, sell all fishing gear

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 am

I was wondering if anyone has been through tough times and sold all their fishing gear to make some money? If so, did you regret it. The part buying new gear when I want to fish again is going to suck bad.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Tough times, sell all fishing gear

Post by Amx » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 am

Nope, my fishing gear NEVER gets sold, unless I've already replaced/upgraded it. Fishing comes before ANYTHING else. Some guns were sold, and I'd sell the cars long before the fishing equipment.
Tom.

Interests: living

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 am

I thought about this last year when times were tough for me. I kinda did a crude inventory check and found out my gear is older and not worth enough to sell.Most all my rods are Ugly Sticks and the reels are less expensive.Good Luck

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 am

It definitely depends on what fishing gear you speak of. If you have a 30,000.00 boat in the drive way and your about to loose your house that keeps your family dry/warm, Id sell it in a heartbeat. If its rods that originally cost 100 bucks and you need to pay 1500 dollar mortgage, I wouldnt. I have noticed used fishing gear really doesnt hold its value. I recently bought a 400 dollar legend elite for about half because the guy had trouble selling it. Its in great condition, looks to never have been fished, it can just be hard to sell some fishing gear on the used market. I keep a mental running tally of what can go if something happens and I need to provide for my kids. I love my guns but they are first on the block simply because if you buy right they really hold their value and generally move fast. Its only happened once (wifes company went belly up in the beginning of december) two pistols later X mas and the mortgage was takin care of. Personally I dont like selling stuff, if im physically able to work I will do what I can even if I have to step outside of my career box. Good luck and keep at it. I hope all turns out well.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:21 pm

fishing gear would not get sold off even if I moved away I would find something to do with all my gear... As with others guns would be first to go one because I have plenty of them and I will always keep one of each group rifle pistol shotgun. I have some Pricey gear and not worth the headache or hassel of selling I rather give it to a friend then deal with selling it for nothing

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:24 pm

returnofthefish wrote:I was wondering if anyone has been through tough times and sold all their fishing gear to make some money? If so, did you regret it. The part buying new gear when I want to fish again is going to suck bad.
Life has it's ups and downs. What is here today, might get replaced tomorrow.
Returnofthefish, I'll always take you fishing if you need your fix. :-"

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:55 am

thanks guys. sounds better just to keep the gear.

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 pm

whats wrong? really, you can't sell your fishing gear(rods and reels) could care less about hooks and ect. Fishing gear is like my firearms collection.
Upgrades only.
It will be handed down to a family member or loved one.
Get out and fish on your days off. Hit me up. off sundays

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:06 pm

That would never even cross my mind.