Good Bet for Tomorrow

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

Good Bet for Tomorrow

Post by DannyL » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Since all the rivers seem to be back to fishable levels where is the best bet? Stilly, Wallace or somewhere else. Both are about 30 mins from me. I've got eggs, dick nites and blue fox spinners
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

oneshot
Commodore

Re: Good Bet for Tomorrow

Post by oneshot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:39 pm

they're still bright down low in the systems.. :-"

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Pm sent
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Wallace is very clear right now so you may have to combat fish or walk a bit to find some biters... Stilly has some fish , but anywhere above Marine drive, you'll have to leave eggs at home.... was thinking about hitting stilly below Marine drive with some fresh eggs to see if any willing takers

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:32 pm

chongo469 wrote:Wallace is very clear right now so you may have to combat fish or walk a bit to find some biters... Stilly has some fish , but anywhere above Marine drive, you'll have to leave eggs at home.... was thinking about hitting stilly below Marine drive with some fresh eggs to see if any willing takers
launch your boat at cady and go get some chromers..

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:04 pm

You guys still trolling em up? Thinking about floating from Monroe to Doug bar this weekend. But if its still that good down low, might have to get the little evinrude out.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Down low is pretty darn good right now.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58 pm

If done low is good then wallace must be as good went 4/7 haha
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:38 am

There are 0 fish in the Stilly right now, definitely not there....

[bored]

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 am

The Stilly has fish in it, but they are begging to lock down and you have to piss them off to get them to hit. Twitching jigs, rattling plugs, and big bright spinner will get them angry.

The Wallace is starting to pick up, but, I dont like holding hands with the guy next to me.

The lower Snohomish has been, well, ON FREAKING FIRE. At high tide yesterday I limited out on 9-14 pound sealice chromers in under a half hour.

Hope you get into some fish today

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:04 am

steelheadin where on the snohomish? what is considered down low? you bank or boat fishing? thanks for any hints.
Carl

ragibby
Petty Officer

Post by ragibby » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:The Stilly has fish in it, but they are begging to lock down and you have to piss them off to get them to hit. Twitching jigs, rattling plugs, and big bright spinner will get them angry.

The Wallace is starting to pick up, but, I dont like holding hands with the guy next to me.

The lower Snohomish has been, well, ON FREAKING FIRE. At high tide yesterday I limited out on 9-14 pound sealice chromers in under a half hour.

Hope you get into some fish today
I am also curious what you consider the lower snoho. Ive been fishing up at the Sultan boat launch the last 2 weekends, throwing dick nites, eggs, jigs. Still no luck. Anyone with any tips?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:12 pm

I consider the lower snohomish basically from the farthest point up that the tide effects (Thomas Eddy/Douglas Bar) downstream to the mouth. Others might consider the lower portion from hwy 9 bridge dowstream. I've been out 6 times targeting silvers between September 28th through yesterday and limited easily every time with many others released being selective. I have been fishing from a boat every time I've gone out. Starting to trickle off a little now but still enough coming in to be good for awhile longer yet. All the usual coho lures have been catching.

ragibby
Petty Officer

Post by ragibby » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah. My usual Humpy Spot is west of the Hwy 9 bridge. So thats why i was asking what is considered the lower. I havent seen many people out on the river from town going west. But i havent tried fishing thomas eddy for about 3-4 weeks now. Sultan and the sky have been my go to places these last couple weeks. But still no fish. This is my first season fishing coho. Ive fished pinks sense i was 8 years old (24yo now) and i had such a good pink season this year i just couldnt stop fishing. guess you could say i caught the bug. But ive been trying, just cant seem to find the fish. thanks for the info. And again any tips would be much apprieciated.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Best tip/advise for coho that I can give you is to search out the jumpers and rollers and throw the kitchen sink at them. Silvers will more often than not. make their presence known. Standing on the bank in one spot all day is not going to produce unless the fish are there or on the move. Move around a bit, whether it be 100 yards or 20 miles. Dick nites, spinners, plugs, jigs and eggs are all great options. Different lures and colors for various locations and water color.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Hmm, where I have been fishing DN's there are no real rollers present... patience pays off. Averaging 2-5 per night after work.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Like I said pounding one spot isn't going to produce unless they are there or moving through. You obviously found a spot with fish.........he hasn't. I didn't say jumpers and rollers are a requirement, its just a good way to locate coho easily. Sorry I should have said most of the time but not always. In fact my last trip I saw only one silver surface and still limited along with a couple buddys. So again jumpers not a necessity but is a good general rule of thumb to have more success when it comes to silvers. To many people get caught up in hanging on to one hole like the next cast is going to be the one after making a thousand casts before without a bite. Not saying the next cast won't be the one just saying its not effective if there just aren't any fish or ones willing to bite there. Don't be lazy tighten the laces on the hiking boots and explore.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:31 pm

mallard83 wrote:Like I said pounding one spot isn't going to produce unless they are there or moving through. You obviously found a spot with fish.........he hasn't. I didn't say jumpers and rollers are a requirement, its just a good way to locate coho easily. Sorry I should have said most of the time but not always. In fact my last trip I saw only one silver surface and still limited along with a couple buddys. So again jumpers not a necessity but is a good general rule of thumb to have more success when it comes to silvers. To many people get caught up in hanging on to one hole like the next cast is going to be the one after making a thousand casts before without a bite. Not saying the next cast won't be the one just saying its not effective if there just aren't any fish or ones willing to bite there. Don't be lazy tighten the laces on the hiking boots and explore.
Word. If I'm not catching anything, and I've seen no signs of life, it's time to move on. Either until I find the fish, or the biters. If there aren't any fish, you're not going to catch a fish. The water is dropped right now, they aren't going to be moving around much, so if you can find them you have a captive audience for the most part. There are large stretches of river without fish in it too. Gotta fish where the fish are to catch fish.