Sorry have to ask

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
jd39
Commander

Sorry have to ask

Post by jd39 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am

What's with the sexually explicit/themed advertising on this site? Don't get me wrong, doesn't bother me one bit, the eye candy is nice, just seems like a bit of a contradiction to this site's rules, policies and intent. Granted this stuff is all over the internet anywhere you go but so is a lot of stuff that this site's rules prohibit. Never knew so many Thai, Filipino, Japanese, Chinese and cougars needed lovin! To bad I'm married.....

So curiosity got the best of me, what's the logic behind this apparent contradiction? Or am I just looking at it all wrong?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Sorry have to ask

Post by Amx » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:16 am

Probably the Google Ads, the web site owner has no control what Google sends.
Tom.

Interests: living

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:41 am

These must be some criteria or ability to have "family oriented" advertising...
it does not bother mr either but it is in [razz] conflict with a family oriented web site

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 am

Darn it. I dont get any. I havent seen anyone since that Stepanie was on the site. :-({|=

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:47 am

Whats funny is for me, the adds are normally something else I have googled lately. I can always tell when my wife has been on my computer because all the adds you are talking about have shoes and purses in them. For me that has been a good thing. I get all the praise for getting her exactly what she wants without asking!

I have yet to see any add come up on mine that has anything to do with dating or woman etc

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 am

All I see are Chevy trucks and treatment for toe fungus....ewwww. I think I'd rather have some of the other. :-"

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:57 am

google adds generally target your cookies. what were you looking at earlier?
Eat, sleep, fish

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:12 am

^ha. JD download an add blocker.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:24 am

I get the Asian dating ads as well....and I don't visit those types of sites. As others have said, the ad software targets you, but I have to question how it's running it's targeting because like I said, I don't visit dating websites or anything along those lines. I'm happily married.

Oh well.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Im not one to point fingers but someone somewhere mustve been chatting somewhere. We had a 2 page thread laughing about the girl who wanted dating. I was interested till I found out she cant cut Cutplug herring,dig worms or hook up a sand shrimp. Without those talents "Why Bother"

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm

To echo mizm05 comment, I don't visit dating sites either, faithfully been with same woman for 12 years and happy.

Plus I think married people trolling dating sites is seedy and pathetic and would not do it even if I wasn't happy.

I don't always get these dating adds, sometimes I get the toe fungus adds too (although I've never had it and don't visit toe fungus sites either). Sometimes they're political, etc....

Good times, gotta love the internet (reminds me of the skit Dave Chappelle did on his show, cracked me up if anyone knows the skit I'm talking about).

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 pm

racfish wrote:Im not one to point fingers but someone somewhere mustve been chatting somewhere. We had a 2 page thread laughing about the girl who wanted dating. I was interested till I found out she cant cut Cutplug herring,dig worms or hook up a sand shrimp. Without those talents "Why Bother"
[laugh]
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:08 pm

We have two ad servers, one, Outdoor Hub, we can contact and stop ads that cause a problem (usually it's an expanding ad that we don't authorize/allow). The other is Google. As noted, Google does use cookies to try to match up ads that are relevant with the viewer. Now, I'm not say'in anything, because who knows how accurate it really is? Sometimes scary accurate when you surf for a product and then ads immediately show up based on what you surfed for.

To be more specific about the date site ads, I'm not sure how much control we have to shut off a whole genre of ads. I'll concede it's a bit embarrassing at times. I was showing the site to a prospective resort sponsor and they popped up on the resort computer, ouch. It may be that these ads aren't targeted by user, rather by demographics, since we have a large readership of young single males. So it may not be your surfing habits, it may be something else more general.

Or maybe not. 8-[

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:48 pm

I'd have to vote for general, you all don't have to trust me but I don't visit those sites. With the background/context of how the Google adds program works though I do find it interesting.
This computer has never visited any untoward website, dating or otherwise, I value my job too much. I visit this site to take breaks sometimes, today there was anime add that was a bit much since I was on this computer so it prompted the question.

You all have good nights and tight lines this weekend! Fun discussion but gotta go and get ready for a trip tomorrow am.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:42 pm

come on fellas, quite surfing those seedy sites. i mean if u are its cool but don't lie about it. [blush]

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 am

putting an ad blocker on stopped all of them on mine.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:49 pm

The pop adds I get are usually related to things I have purchased online.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:38 pm

HOOKEDONFISHING wrote:The pop adds I get are usually related to things I have purchased online.
We never had pop up ads. The one that came up from the bottom of the screen (which you would never see if you were logged in, it was only shown to people that weren't logged in) was stopped this month.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:47 pm

kind of feeling left out on the seedier ads. all i'm getting are chevy, cheetos and lawnmower ads and this is my dirty computer. just being honest.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:43 pm

I know that this site gets a revenue from the ads, but try Adblock Plus. Every once in a while I get the girls near you ad, but most of the time it's shoes, lingerie and dresses at nordstrom. I blame my wife.