for the egg- less man

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
drysuperfly52
Commander

for the egg- less man

Post by drysuperfly52 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:46 am

I am headed out coho fishing with the clean up crew this weekend and since I never had the chance to get some pink eggs. I am forced to by some store eggs. any suggestion to brands that have the best quality or should i just use shrimp?
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

tlang
Petty Officer

Re: for the egg- less man

Post by tlang » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 am

I would fire cure some shrimp, depending on color and scent they can be just as deadly.

Last year towards the end of the season I was talking to a couple of guys who bought some eggs and just re-cured them at home, they said it worked pretty well for them and caught fish.

Good luck HTH

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:02 am

that sounds way better then store bought eggs, any suggestions for color or scent? i will be buying some on my way home from work today.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 am

I've had to go that route before as well, and did pretty good on Coho. Just bought whatever it is they sell at outdoor emporium (can't recall the brand name. I've seen them at Cabelas, Fred Meyer as well....), and recured them Pautzkies FireCure (red). Since the eggs are already cured, you're not really "recuring" them. But they will juice a little and absorb the FireCure. Essentially just adding a bit more color and scent from what I could tell. Took em out and caught fish with em.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:41 am

fire cure up some raw prawns. Salt em up first then add fire cure and bag over night. Add em to your jig and hold on.

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:54 am

chrome_chasin wrote:fire cure up some raw prawns. Salt em up first then add fire cure and bag over night. Add em to your jig and hold on.

this

I like red and orange, others might not agree. But it seems to work for me. I grabbed that krill plus egg scent Im going to try that stuff. My prawns have been marinating since wed night. I say grab a few and try em out in smaller batches. Its pretty cheap for what ends up being quite a bit of prawn bait.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:31 am

looking at the fire blog and found one that uses fire brine and fire cure and a couple other things like salt and sugar but from what I can tell this process gets the color/scent much deeper into the meat. Might want to check that one out as well.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi Superdryfly,
I got some eggs today and started curing. I'm in South Bellevue if you want them! I hope to be at the Everett launch tomorrow, but not sure what time.

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:37 pm

My first coho last year i caught on rays fish candy eggs

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Whole sandshrimp is a great coho bait.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:21 am

i buy the bags of frozen shrimp from costco, thaw out a handful with salt, then cure in red fire cure. deadly!!!!

i also cut them up into dime size chunks. just enough to tip the jig but not interfere with its action.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:29 pm

i cured some raw shrimp last weekend for the sky and wallace. the pinks loved them, i was 4 fish in 5 casts at my first hole. we did get one coho on the shrimp on the wallace. i used a cure then turned them a florescent purple pink color, threw that on a green jig and let it bounce of the bottom.

my pink to silver ratio was rediculous. if i put the shrimp/jig combo under a float and bring it off the bottom would i yeild more silvers?

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Youll probably catch even more pinks! Jigs tipped with shrimp is a humpies weakness.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 am

drysuperfly52 wrote:i cured some raw shrimp last weekend for the sky and wallace. the pinks loved them, i was 4 fish in 5 casts at my first hole. we did get one coho on the shrimp on the wallace. i used a cure then turned them a florescent purple pink color, threw that on a green jig and let it bounce of the bottom.

my pink to silver ratio was rediculous. if i put the shrimp/jig combo under a float and bring it off the bottom would i yeild more silvers?
This combo does fairly well on the green for silvers. fish it low and slow and hold on. [thumbsup]