Dick Nite set up

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sealegs
Warrant Officer

Dick Nite set up

Post by sealegs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:53 pm

I plan on heading back out to Snohomish 522 bridge(( this time with waders) for salmon fishing. My current set up is cork and yarn. I wanted some feedback on whether i should attach DN 50/50 directly to my main line or continue to use a leader?

spokey9
Captain

Re: Dick Nite set up

Post by spokey9 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:11 pm

rig.jpg
Dick Nite River Setup
rig.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 7436 times
this is the basic setup for fishing a dick nite for pinks & silvers (though you don't have to use a dropper line on the sinker, it just helps keep your lure out of the rocks in slower currents).
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:14 pm

I use them for trout on the satsop thought he silvers love to hit them. i just have a single split shot on my line but i'm using only 6lb test at the most. I had a coho pick one up off the bottom while I was dealing with a mess in loop in my line once. copper is my go to color on the river. crescent lake near gig harbor rainbow seem to like the half brass half nickle trolled.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 pm

You can see from the the picture to keep the leader. Directly tie your DN to the end of your leader (4'-6'). Using a dropper line for your weight is not absolutely necessary, but can save you some gear on occasion, but can also lead to tangles with your leader. I gave up on the dropper line and stuck with home cut stick lead. I think my one word of advice is do not drift it just like a corky and yarn. After casting slightly upcurrent start your retrieve before it hits the bottom and slowly retrieve it during the drift. Ticking bottom on occasion is ok, but if you're dragging your weight you'll just get hung up and lose your gear. I use just over a 1/4 oz weight (~5/16 oz) . Anything more and it seems to get hung up more and anything less is hard to cast the distance at least with my setup. What's worked for me is a combination of drift style fishing and spinner fishing. Slow retrieve to jet get the spoon wobbling while the lure is working it's way down current. The weight is there to keep your presentation down low in the target zone.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:31 pm

I would recommend changing out the hooks with gami siwash hooks of the SAME size. The stock hooks straighten out quite easy.

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:00 pm

I am a big proponent of dick nites, they work great. Their hooks are high quality and strong for its size. Retrieve very slowly so the dick nite flutters like a dodger. 1/4oz slinky weights are perfect at 522 in low flow. Using different # test for each, main, leader, and dropper, helps with line wrapping. Good luck

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:01 pm

I like to (when time allows) put my weight on a sliding setup, and i'll use 6 to 10" drop on 3/8 to 1/2 oz cannon balls on that sliding swivel.. seems to be less snaggy, less tangles and more fishy..

my favorite tackle to use hands down..

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Picked up 2 silvers today with that setup. Never had a problem with the hooks,
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Sort of highjacking this thread:

I've been using the DNs on the Duwi for a number of weeks now and have had a lot of luck with the Pinks, so I know my setup works, but absolutely no Coho (that I know of). I'm only using the #2 size in various colors/patterns known to produce. Does the difference between the #1 and #2 size really make that much of a difference in regards to Coho? Figured if the Pinks are hitting it then the Coho would too. I'm getting desperate here. Anybody else experience the same problem? Don't want to go out and drop more $ on more gear if it's not going to do any good. This is my first season fishing the DNs. Tried last year, but gave up after losing the first couple in short order. #-o

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:54 pm

For coho I use the smaller sizes. Size 1 and the smaller wee.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Last edited by losaturn on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 pm

I don't use the dropper anymore and seem to be doing just fine without it. Usually use 10lb mainline and an 8lb leader about 5' or so. The countdown method works good, cast out and count til your wait hits the bottom. On the next cast start your retrieve a second before your count so the lure stays just above bottom. Usually I'm using a very small wait, maybe 1/4oz or so due to the slow current I fish.

I'm interested to know what rod length & power people are using with Dick NItes? I've been using my 7' ML trout/bass rod and am 2 for 7 for silvers. Been losing a bunch, but just have been attributing it to the small #8 hooks popping out & silvers are great fighters. My drag is set pretty light too, so I don't bust them off.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm using a 10' medium action spinning rod. 1/4 to 3/8 oz weight and 3' to 5' of 8# or 10# mono leader. I haven't brought in a Coho yet, but have landed a bunch of Pinks and hooked a couple that didn't act like Pinks, but never saw them. I've lost a few fish on this setup and I'm using the size 2 DNs that have #4 hooks, so hook size doesn't always help keep them attached. I keep my drag at a medium tension. Strong enough that it doesn't peel off when I set the hook, but the fish can pull line if it makes a run.

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 am

One thing I saw a lot of guys doing with the pinks (due to a softer mouth, but might work here) is to have your drag pretty tight for the hookset and right after the first couple head shakes reach up and loosen it up to normal. I know a lot of guys dont like to mess with the drag with a fish on (myself included) but it seemed to increase the number of fish landed for those I saw doing this.

I have seen the DN set up work very well with a dropper and without, for me it depends on the current. For faster deep water like the skagit I like to use a dropper but for slower water like the duwamish at times I go with no dropper. Both have proven deadly for pinks this year and silvers last year. I believe the most important aspect is to make sure your retrieve is dead slow. As soon as that DN is doing anything other than a wobble its too fast, or too slow I suppose. I was with a guide once who kept getting on me about realling really slow! As soon as I listened my catch rate went up.

Good luck and tight lines!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:52 am

tlang wrote:One thing I saw a lot of guys doing with the pinks (due to a softer mouth, but might work here) is to have your drag pretty tight for the hookset and right after the first couple head shakes reach up and loosen it up to normal. I know a lot of guys dont like to mess with the drag with a fish on (myself included) but it seemed to increase the number of fish landed for those I saw doing this.
This is good practice. I'm not afraid to adjust my drag after the hookset. Each fish fights different, so a larger or scrappier fish usually gets adjusted down to minimize strain on the leader and ideal drag setting changes as the fish gets closer to the rod as there isn't as much forgiveness with 10 feet of line out as when there is 30 feet of line out. I will usually start tightening it as the fish tires and will loosen it again if need be. If I've dialed it down and need to turn the fish into the current I'll use my hand as a break on the line to add some tension (like flyfishing), but make sure to feather it and not clamp down as that can be a disaster. Once the fish is successfully stopped I'll then tighten up the drag and try to gain ground. Worse case scenario I'd rather snap my leader than get spooled. However, when those fish tire get to the bank and see you they can go berserk and take off again. Not a good time to have your drag cranked down tight.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:57 am

I constatly adjust my drag after the hook set. I always allow as stated above for the current and fight in the size of the fish and how tired the fish gets. I havent had a fish break me off in [thumbup] a long time....

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread on this so I hope it's cool I ask this question here....
How long of a leader do you guys run on your simple corkie and yarn setup? I hear some people run a 10ft leader and I'm curious how they cast? Im running a 4 ft leader right now and its hard enough trying to fling it out there! I mean you run the leader to a swivel and weight correct? Its not like bobber fishing where you can have a float stop 10ft up but your still able to cast because you can reel in enough line...

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Bmastro777 wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread on this so I hope it's cool I ask this question here....
How long of a leader do you guys run on your simple corkie and yarn setup? I hear some people run a 10ft leader and I'm curious how they cast? Im running a 4 ft leader right now and its hard enough trying to fling it out there! I mean you run the leader to a swivel and weight correct? Its not like bobber fishing where you can have a float stop 10ft up but your still able to cast because you can reel in enough line...
10 feet is ridiculous. There is no reason to run a leader that long. 4' is sufficient. 3 feet minimum or 6 feet max in my opinion if you're fishing gin clear water with a small offering, but with the water right now 4'-5' should be fine. Your leader should never be longer than your rod either otherwise you'll never get the fish in the net, not to mention it makes casting near impossible. If you do a search on the forum you'll find plenty of previous threads on the topic ranging in titles from "flossing" to "leader length".

EDIT: I just saw the report where you got the 10 foot leader idea. jumpinjim was being sarcastic. He was referring to those who run extremely long leaders for the concept of "flossing". If you're not familiar with it, then just search "flossing" and you'll have plenty of reading material. [rolleyes] Best to not get into a discussion about it as it usually ends up in arguments and locked threads. :-$ [wink]
Last edited by BentRod on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Ohhhh, ok. I get it now. 10ft just sounded ridiculous to me lol. But hey, the way things are going for me with silvers so far, I'm willing to try anything...

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:56 pm

oh, ive seen those annoying ten foot leaders plenty of times lol, my usual spot on the puke i run a 6ft +- leader but ive seen some hardcore flossers with ten foot leaders, and just plain old beads just rippin into fish, saying fish on! every cast, makes me sick