Snagging

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Snagging

Post by Jerry H » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:19 pm

This is a story posted on WSFW Police Face Book. I couldn't copy the picture so put in the web link hope it works.

Talk about being caught in the act…

Anyone who casts their line into Washington’s rivers while salmon are running has witnessed at least a few unethical anglers participating in “snagging.” For those who don’t know what snagging is, it’s hooking a fish in a way that does not involve the fish voluntarily taking the hook(s) in its mouth. This is usually achieved by casting a treble hook into a salmon-filled river and jerking it along the bottom to try to hook the salmon in its side (in freshwater fishing, it is illegal to possess a fish hooked anywhere other than inside the mouth or on the head). This is a gross misdemeanor in Washington State that can result in a year in jail and/or a $5,000 fine. To add to the pain, as demonstrated in this photo taken on the Skokomish River, is the very real possibility of catching yourself, or your fishing buddy, with your treble hook.

Don’t try this at home, folks – it’s just not worth it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Snagging

Post by Amx » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Kool.

Karma works.

Tom.

Interests: living

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Ouch, hope he has his tetanus shot up to date.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 pm

We have found a couple of those trebles at the Skok at varies parts of the river

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:15 pm

I have pulled that set up out of the Skok also.

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:21 pm

ooo, look at those barbs haha

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 pm

bet that was fun to take out.. [cursing]

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 pm

That was actually not from a snagger but from a float fisherman who had terrible luck.
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/foru ... Post857920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:04 am

NFCustom wrote:That was actually not from a snagger but from a float fisherman who had terrible luck.
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/foru ... Post857920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, that's just plain ol state propaganda. As if I needed another reason not to trust wdfw.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:08 am

Its too bad it was not the snagger, the snagger should now be charged with assault for using illegal gear and hurting someone with it. I love catching Pinks but I have had enough of sharing the rivers with the snaggers. I have seen to many blatant vioations this Pink season and no LE in sight.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:02 am

It's the tribe doing most of the snagging on that system. But it's a conspiracy according to WDFW.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am

I have been to the Skoke twice now, once last year and again this past sunday and had thought the grip and rips on the state side was bad until I saw a family come down the other side and start slinging these skoke flies, the sporties were doing quite a bit of foul hooks with their multiple hook sets but none of them had anything close to the actual snagging mentality of the tribesman. The ferocity of those hook sets was just un-effing-believable, RIIIPPPPPP, reel, RIPPPPP... The dude lost a few set ups and untold amount of line, and from the looks of it it was at a minimum 20 or 30 lb test. Left in absolute disgust that our state has tucked tail and allows this to happen.

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:14 pm

NFCustom wrote:That was actually not from a snagger but from a float fisherman who had terrible luck.

The state has sense printed a retraction to the story and tried to explain themselves

Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Post by Jhuynh2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:09 pm

ummm usually I see the natives stand near the shore and use those treble hooks and we fisherman retrieve those while fishing

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 am

Jerry H wrote:

The state has sense printed a retraction to the story and tried to explain themselves
Yeah, I love how after he sent them the picture of his on volition he got all butt hurt because they used it. Regardless of the story, he gave them the picture. I also really like the others on Piss-catoial pursuits, "Oh yeah man you should sue the State", great advice considering. And the, "It's pretty normal for the State to just lie", good form all around. I guess there's a reason I rarely ever read anything there, the IQ's closely follow their hat size.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 am

[quote

Yeah, I love how after he sent them the picture of his on volition he got all butt hurt because they used it. Regardless of the story, he gave them the picture. I also really like the others on Piss-catoial pursuits, "Oh yeah man you should sue the State", great advice considering. And the, "It's pretty normal for the State to just lie", good form all around. I guess there's a reason I rarely ever read anything there, the IQ's closely follow their hat size.[/quote]

Do you have to be a dbag to be on piscatorial? Or is it just where they naturally congregate?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:15 am

spoonman wrote:[quote

Yeah, I love how after he sent them the picture of his on volition he got all butt hurt because they used it. Regardless of the story, he gave them the picture. I also really like the others on Piss-catoial pursuits, "Oh yeah man you should sue the State", great advice considering. And the, "It's pretty normal for the State to just lie", good form all around. I guess there's a reason I rarely ever read anything there, the IQ's closely follow their hat size.

Do you have to be a dbag to be on piscatorial? Or is it just where they naturally congregate?[/quote]

Not sure how they get there but it's sure full of them!!! [razz]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 am

I like piscatorial. Theres some good info on there. But if you wanna join now, you have to be a bitter 50+ yr old divorced man, so I'm not a member.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:20 am

schu7498 wrote:I like piscatorial. Theres some good info on there. But if you wanna join now, you have to be a bitter 50+ yr old divorced man, so I'm not a member.
Good thing for that! I hope none of that ever happens for you!!! [wink] [biggrin]