Fish Bonking

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Fish Bonking

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 am

Mike Carey wrote:
Bodofish wrote:Last post. If they don't flinch they don't feel pain. Simple as that.
Can't resist... if they don't flinch you aren't hitting them hard enough. :-({|=
Me too...... [razz]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm

On certain occasions, I feel no pain. Sorry, different topic. Bonked myself once or twice and not only did I flinch, spoke a foreign language all of a sudden. I like the little aluminum fish bonker that the guy on Hawg Quest uses, sounds like a nice pop with a number one driver. PING! [thumbup]

woady
Petty Officer

Post by woady » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 pm

I tried the no-bonking technique yesterday. Caught a buck pink and put it on the stringer, then into the water with good flow.

Sure enough, later on it was swimming in place. Hesitated on killing it.... in the heat of the moment bonking is part of the adrenaline after rush. Decided to give it to my boss. Slit the gills and watched the life drain from the little fishie. Circle of life....

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Just got a new fish bonker from my grandpa today, it is sufficiently heavy and should be able to dispatch even the most unruly humpy
Attachments
IMAG0418-1.jpg
IMAG0418-1.jpg (117.35 KiB) Viewed 2762 times

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 pm

ha now thats a fish bonker!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am

Red Hawk? That's quite a bonker!!!! [drool]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 pm

I never had much luck knocking them out with a found stick & didn't like how big the fish knockers were in the stores so I commandeered one of my hubbys old collapsible batons. Works great & fits nicely in the tackle box when collapsed. We call it "the aluminum shampoo" [biggrin]
The fish that got away, gains at least 2 lbs a day. It's science.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Why during spawning do the bucks (male salmon) go after the competing males physically, most the time the salmon (two males) aren't only just chasing the other around the stream out of territorial reasons I've noticed them also biting the other males tails as well as everywhere else. I was thinking the other day why would a salmon bite down on another fishes tall out of "anger" if fish don't feel pain? I was hoping some of you guys could help me answer this question, my apologize if this comes a crossed as a "dumb question" was just curious why.To me that makes no sense, they would have to know it hurts to want to do it to another fish out of greed for reproduction/spawning with the hens. By the way I personally don't care for bonking my fish I just pull the gills when I'm getting ready to head back to the truck. (keeping them alive till then)

Thanks all, tight lines.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:56 pm

This is how we bonk in my boat... [thumbsup]
Attachments
bonker.jpg
bonker.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Bodofish wrote:Last post. If they don't flinch they don't feel pain. Simple as that.
On the bank I just cut the gills and let em bleed out, in the boat I bonk em if I need to stop em long enough to get the hook out and out of the net. I have no reservations about either way - used to help grandma dress out her chickens which started with stringing em up on the clothes line by their feet so she could cut the heads off. Also been fishing since age five. Maybe those things have something to do with it.

But for some reason I got to thinking about this - How in the heck would a fish "flinch" in the 1st place? :scratch: :tongue:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:This is how we bonk in my boat... [thumbsup]
Oh yeah, use the children to do your dirty work. How do sleep at night?!? [razz]

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:...How in the heck would a fish "flinch" in the 1st place? :scratch: :tongue:
Two for flinching...bonk, bonk. [flapper]

Similar to you GP, grew up with the farm style mentality, so no qualms when it comes to bleed'n 'em or bonk'n em. In the end, it's food on the table. I'm not going to lose sleep over fish.....hated losing wounded ducks or pheasants when I used to hunt them though. That always made me feel bad.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Weekend-warrior17 wrote:Why during spawning do the bucks (male salmon) go after the competing males physically, most the time the salmon (two males) aren't only just chasing the other around the stream out of territorial reasons I've noticed them also biting the other males tails as well as everywhere else. I was thinking the other day why would a salmon bite down on another fishes tall out of "anger" if fish don't feel pain? I was hoping some of you guys could help me answer this question, my apologize if this comes a crossed as a "dumb question" was just curious why.To me that makes no sense, they would have to know it hurts to want to do it to another fish out of greed for reproduction/spawning with the hens. By the way I personally don't care for bonking my fish I just pull the gills when I'm getting ready to head back to the truck. (keeping them alive till then)

Thanks all, tight lines.
I don't think fish "know" in the sense that you or I know things. What you are seeing is extreme territorial behavior and males under the influence of their biological drive. Our drives our subtle compared to their drives. They get one shot and then they die. Their bodies are on a chemical over-drive we can't imagine.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:42 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:
On the bank I just cut the gills and let em bleed out, in the boat I bonk em if I need to stop em long enough to get the hook out and out of the net. I have no reservations about either way - used to help grandma dress out her chickens which started with stringing em up on the clothes line by their feet so she could cut the heads off. Also been fishing since age five. Maybe those things have something to do with it.

But for some reason I got to thinking about this - How in the heck would a fish "flinch" in the 1st place? :scratch: :tongue:
Same way we do a short violent twitch in response to external stimulus. When they thrash in the net, it's s series of connected flinches.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:09 am

Did anybody read the link to the study I put on the bottom of page 2. It explains everything.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 am

Too many studies published with flawed procedures and speculative results but yes, physiology kind of trumps all the studies.