Snohomish or Skagit for Sturgeon

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
evanault
Angler

Snohomish or Skagit for Sturgeon

Post by evanault » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Hello all... New to the message boards. I am going to go for Sturgeon one of these days here. I live on the east side close to bothell. The Snohomish is close and the Skagit is not too far away as well, I hear you can find them in the sloughs on either. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on which is better for sturgeon fishing? Any bait tips for either river? I will be fishing from shore, so good access points? I am not asking for anyone's secrets, just need pointed in the right direction. Feel free to message me if you would rather.

Thanks for any and all asistance.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Snohomish or Skagit for Sturgeon

Post by natetreat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 pm

The Snohomish is good in the sloughs. One of the best spots is by Steamboat Slough just upstream from the bridge. I've had good luck there. Remember it's strictly C&R though. A lot of oversized fish too, come prepared.

evanault
Angler

Post by evanault » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks Natetreat. Yeah with the species on the c&r only list for 2014 entirely I wouldn't think of keeping one even if it was legal. I'd like to get into some oversize, so that's good to hear. I was scouting out a few spots the other day and the one you mentioned was toward the top of my list. Good to know I was on the right track. Thanks again!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Fish along the right hand side with sand shrimp. I run two or three on a hook tied with magic thread. They sure are a kick in the pants, lots of fun to catch.

wussfacekiller
Angler

Post by wussfacekiller » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Why is it strictly C&R? The rulebook says there's retention allowed September 1st through October 15th. No emergency rules in place for the Snohomish regarding sturgeon...

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 am

wussfacekiller wrote:Why is it strictly C&R? The rulebook says there's retention allowed September 1st through October 15th. No emergency rules in place for the Snohomish regarding sturgeon...
2013 - 2014 Sport Fishing Rules Pamphlet, pg 16, under the heading STURGEON:
Sturgeon fishing 2014
Effective January 1, 2014: catch-and-release fishing ONLY in the Columbia River from Bonneville Dam downstream, coastal, and Puget Sound waters including their tributaries.
Unless I missed it, I didn't see any emergency closures listed on WDFW website either. Things change after the 1st of the year.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:49 am

I stand corrected. I haven't checked sturgeon regs since last year when they decided to shut the take down last year.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 am

If your on the shore try the Boat ramp on the lower stilly. fish the incoming tide. and use herring or smelt, the bullheads will have your sandshrimp gone in no time!

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am

The best fishing in the Northwest for sturgeon is:
1. Willamette River in October and November, but especially February through March.
2. Astoria May 25 through July 5.
3. Bonneville Pool January 5 - February 20.
4. Fraser River during Eulachon run around early May, or during the fall salmon run, from Sept 20 to November 10 (gets a bit cold for the fish after that.)
5. Kalama area on Columbia River sometime during the Smelt run, Feb 10. through Feb. 25, if it's a good smelt run that year.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:32 pm

I used to fish Sturgeon in the Columbia and Willy when I lived in Portland, but I haven't fished Sturgeon since I moved to Seattle in the 80's. But they are getting really touchy about Sturgeon fishing on those rivers. I don't know the details but I guess the resource is stressed. I grew up in Portland way back in the 50's and 60's. Back in those day very few folks fished for Gators. But starting in the 80's it became real popular and may have been over fished??--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For immediate release Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2013

Willamette sturgeon season opens Saturday; Columbia shut

CLACKAMAS, Ore. – Anglers will have another chance to reel in and keep a sturgeon Saturday, Oct. 19 when sturgeon retention season opens for one day on the lower Willamette River.

Under rules adopted earlier this year, anglers are allowed to retain up to one white sturgeon with a fork length of 38-54 inches daily, with an annual bag limit of two fish.

The open area for this fishery includes the lower Willamette River from Willamette Falls downstream to its confluence with the Columbia River, plus Multnomah Channel and the lower Gilbert River from its mouth upstream a few hundred yards to the transient boat moorage facility.

ODFW staff intends to monitor harvest on the Willamette and may schedule additional Saturday openings on the lower Willamette, if possible within available harvest limits, according to John North, Columbia River fisheries manager.

Anglers are reminded that the Columbia River will remain closed to retention of white sturgeon, with the exception of that section of the river between The Dalles and John Day dams, which is currently open to retention of white sturgeon with fork lengths of 43 to 54 inches. All other reaches of the Columbia are closed to retention of white sturgeon but are open to catch-and-release fishing.

Single point barbless hooks are required for all sturgeon fishing.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:46 am

the whole stretch of the skagit from mt vernon to above burlington is really good for sturgeon. just gotta find the holes and put your time in. sand shrimp is best for bait but any of the basics will work. youll need heavy duty gear cause some holes can require up to a pound of lead when the rivers running hard. the stillaguamish delta is also a awesome area to fish. get on google maps and look along the stanwood and camano island area. can use lighter gear there cause theres not as much current in most of these places. far as the snohomish im not much help but ive got a few out of ebey slough in the past. hope this helps.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:01 am

Steamboat

Slough

Has

Some

FISH!!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Did you keep that fish your holding up? From the back ground it doesn't look like your on the water..

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:48 am

Yes I did, It's an old picture when it was still legal to do so.

Secondarily, I would NEVER hold a fish up by the gills unless I intended to kill it.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:38 am

I thought I might have just read the book wrong and was missing out on something.
I would love me a big ol pile of smoked sturgeon [drool]