Pink run question

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jd39
Commander

Pink run question

Post by jd39 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:57 pm

How much longer will they be running? Curious how much longer fresh fish from the salt will continue entering puget sound rivers?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Pink run question

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:12 pm

A lot! I could have swore I heard that the run has been vastly revised upward from 6 to 14 million, but I can't find a reference anywhere and don't remember for sure where I heard it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Mike Carey wrote:A lot! I could have swore I heard that the run has been vastly revised upward from 6 to 14 million, but I can't find a reference anywhere and don't remember for sure where I heard it.
Could that be with the Frazer River run? A Seattle Times blogger had that at 8.9M.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Mike Carey wrote:A lot! I could have swore I heard that the run has been vastly revised upward from 6 to 14 million, but I can't find a reference anywhere and don't remember for sure where I heard it.
I heard the same thing as well, on the Outdoorline podcast. Hard to believe, as the river I fish has less fish right now than previous years.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:49 pm

that was it. that number is just unreal, 14 million fish. More waves to come is what it sounds like. Anyway, I've moved on to the coho. I'll try for pinks but only after getting a coho limit. It's not as effective trying to target them both at the same time in the saltwater.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:54 pm

there are millions of pinks still in the saltwater waiting to come up!
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm

fishenfreak wrote:there are millions of pinks still in the saltwater waiting to come up!
And I bet you're just drooling with anticipation! =P~ =P~ =P~

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:22 pm

natetreat wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:there are millions of pinks still in the saltwater waiting to come up!
i wish theyd net um all!!!!!
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 pm

14 million is unreal, hope that means the duwi/green is getting 3ish!

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:51 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
natetreat wrote:
Do you have any idea what Pinks do for the riparian areas and the ecosystem it self. And of course the fry that fattens up the steelhead smolts.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:27 pm

I know they will make one big smell in about a month. :-#

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Mike Carey wrote:I know they will make one big smell in about a month. :-#
True dat, Mike.
Thank you! Come again! Image

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 am

i wish theyd net um all!!!!![/quote]

Do you have any idea what Pinks do for the riparian areas and the ecosystem it self. And of course the fry that fattens up the steelhead smolts.[/quote]
Pretty sure it was a joke there nfc.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:37 am

fishenfreak wrote:
natetreat wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I have heard that danny was trying for pinks in bc, and couldnt get through all the kings.... thats the word on a certain website though which I shall not say.

And they are still trying to weed through them in Areas 4,5 and 6 so they will be in the salt for a bit! The Stilly run hasnt even started yet, and the Snohomish is just starting to hit prime numbers for fish almost every cast.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 am

The Puyallup is also just now getting to where it's a fish every cast. There's been plenty of action so far on the Puyallup, but last night was like nothing I've seen yet. It was absolutely bonkers. Keep bringing them in...this is a blast.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:50 am

Mike Carey wrote:that was it. that number is just unreal, 14 million fish. More waves to come is what it sounds like. Anyway, I've moved on to the coho. I'll try for pinks but only after getting a coho limit. It's not as effective trying to target them both at the same time in the saltwater.
Not so sure, we limited out on both Sat and Sunday, one Pink squid and one Green squid. Both rods caught the same amount of fish, both species. Fun fishing, a lot of pinks for a couple Coho.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 pm

I agree you can catch em both at the same time, but I'd rather focus on the coho with a fast troll, and magnum green hoochies, and then go to the white flashers/pink hoochie gear for the pinks. But considering how poorly I did on the saltwater pinks this year maybe I'd do better anyway. It was a weird year for me on the salt with the pinks.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:05 am

I just never do the little pink squid and white dodger. I seem to get plenty just trolling for Coho with the normal rig. I set up a green, a glow, a blue, a pink and a red with a few splatter backs and just rotate till I find what they like for the day. Usually green or glow. Run at about 3-4 kts and grab a pink when you turn.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Bodofish wrote:I just never do the little pink squid and white dodger. I seem to get plenty just trolling for Coho with the normal rig. I set up a green, a glow, a blue, a pink and a red with a few splatter backs and just rotate till I find what they like for the day. Usually green or glow. Run at about 3-4 kts and grab a pink when you turn.
cool. I have never had a pink at that speed, maybe next trip.

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:33 am

In one Humpy Hollow video of yours, Mike (great video, by the way), you are using a FULL-SIZED squid in light pink. Most guys recommend the SMALL squid in bright bubble-gum (F15), so I'm wondering if that makes a difference? I'm not sure. I've mostly used the full-sized squid for coho/kings, although that F15 is hot for Port Alberni Kings near the river mouth of the Somass River, surprisingly.