Fish Bonking

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AJ's Dad
Commodore

Fish Bonking

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:55 am

I'm a catch and release guy. Not only so I can do my part to see fish populations grow and keep bigger fish in the gene pool, but because I'm simply not a fish eater. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against fish eaters.
A subject that has me intregued in when I read the word "Bonk" mainly used in the salmon posts. My question is, is there a right, or politically correct way to "Bonk" a fish??
For example, should a fish be "Bonked" more than once to insure it's sufficiently dead?
Should an angler "Bonk" said fish with a mighty blow, or several slight blows?
Is there an official fish "Binking" tool?
Is it acceptable to "Bonk" a fishes head on the side of the boat?
I dropped a pike one time while I was trying to release it. That fish "Bonked" his head on the edge of the boat and started quivering. I tried to reveve it but it just laid there in the water doing nothing. Would that count as an official "Bonk" or just an accidental knock on the head, causing the fish to expire. (By the way I gave that fish to a guy that ate it).
Do you have a preferred method of "Bonking"? If so, lets hear the different ways to effectively "Bonk" a fish.
(Just for fun) [thumbsup]

Rocky
Angler

Re: Fish Bonking

Post by Rocky » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:51 am

dead is dead

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:02 am

I cut the gills let em bleed, then I bonk with a salmon club. One good whack will make the eyes look straight instead of down.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:38 am

I give them a whack with a rock or piece of driftwood til the eyes look straight then pull out the gills.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 am

First I give them a mild wack on the head and yank out the gills to bleed them. You want them a bit alive to bleed them.Once you yank the gills out they bleed like crazy. Keeps your fish fresher tasting.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:12 am

I got a fish nobler I made from 2" dowell but I prefer to bare knuckle box humpies, one solid punch to the back of the head and its all over. Warning, do not try this with any other salmon, I tried to punch out a 16lb coho and just about broke my hand. [-X

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:46 am

NFCustom wrote:I cut the gills let em bleed, then I bonk with a salmon club. One good whack will make the eyes look straight instead of down.
This is what I do.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 am

I cut the gills, and then give a quick stab through the skull. I used to bonk fish, and it was never really effective for me.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:46 am

BlakeP wrote:I cut the gills, and then give a quick stab through the skull. I used to bonk fish, and it was never really effective for me.
This is what I do now, too. Used to bonk, but watched a video on the through the brain technique. I forget the Japanese term for it.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:34 pm

I let my kid bonk 'em enough to stun them but the heart still pumps, then I cut the gills and bleed'em while the heart is still pumping that blood out..

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:47 pm

oneshot wrote:I let my kid bonk 'em enough to stun them but the heart still pumps, then I cut the gills and bleed'em while the heart is still pumping that blood out..

That just looks like a broken finger waiting to happen. [cursing]

A couple sharp bonks, cut the gills and let them bleed out in the motor well.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:27 pm

BlakeP wrote:I cut the gills, and then give a quick stab through the skull. I used to bonk fish, and it was never really effective for me.
I do not understand how bonking is not effective?

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:35 pm

wolff wrote:
This is what I do now, too. Used to bonk, but watched a video on the through the brain technique. I forget the Japanese term for it.
The Japanese technique is called "Iki-jime" Works great for me!
Thank you! Come again! Image

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:26 pm

At my fave spot on the Puyallup, there is a tree near by. I get a good hold of the fish, whack it's head against a tree branch and slit it's throat all the way up to the backbone to bleed it. I also gut them on the river and get them on ice.

Here's me having a little fun with the photographer on one of our recent outings. This is my "killing tree". After I slit their throat, I'll run a thin branch through the gill opening and out the mouth so they are hanging off the limb. Makes it much easier to let them hang there while I gut them.
Fish guts Aug 25 2012.jpg

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 pm

A good bonk just knocks em out. Then bleed them. Bonking doesnt kill them so the heart keeps pumping.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 pm

schu7498 wrote:A good bonk just knocks em out. Then bleed them. Bonking doesnt kill them so the heart keeps pumping.
Remind me never to cross you shu... 8-[

[laugh]

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Are you critizing my user name now? Haha I do the old fashion rock to the noggin or take a large stick to aplly the shampoo

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:23 pm

The knock on the head paralyzes them, but doesn't kill them. Bleeding the fish removes the fishy blood taste from the meat of the fish, if it stays in the meat it coagulates and give the "muddy" taste that you'll find. If you are going to eat the fish, you want to bleed it out.

If I am fishing from the bank sans-cooler, I like to keep my fish alive on a strong stringer and then do the killing at the end of the trip or when I move. Be careful though, because they'll revive on the stringer and have just as much fight in them as when you caught them if you're not careful.

When I was a kid we used to kill them with a pen knife into the brain, quick and painless for the fish, but that doesn't allow the heart to pump the blood out of the meat. I find that if you don't bonk the fish, they bleed out better when you just cut the gills and throw them in the box.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:06 pm

natetreat wrote:The knock on the head paralyzes them, but doesn't kill them. Bleeding the fish removes the fishy blood taste from the meat of the fish, if it stays in the meat it coagulates and give the "muddy" taste that you'll find. If you are going to eat the fish, you want to bleed it out.

If I am fishing from the bank sans-cooler, I like to keep my fish alive on a strong stringer and then do the killing at the end of the trip or when I move. Be careful though, because they'll revive on the stringer and have just as much fight in them as when you caught them if you're not careful.

When I was a kid we used to kill them with a pen knife into the brain, quick and painless for the fish, but that doesn't allow the heart to pump the blood out of the meat. I find that if you don't bonk the fish, they bleed out better when you just cut the gills and throw them in the box.
A bonk to the head does kill them. If you notice when you land your fish the eyes are looking down when our of the water. As soon as you take one good whack the eyes look straight and the fish us dead.

Its much better to kill your fish immediately. Leaving a fish on a stringer creates Lactic acid in the meat and lessens the quality. Lactic acid is created when muscles in animals are over worked, exactly like the feeling in your muscles after work out.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Cut out a gill or just cut the gill near the top and toss in the box, no bonking for me! I love the sound of a thrashing fish in the box! I believe they do bleed out faster that way and I don't give a hoot about all of these politically correct va jay jays that think the fish or crab or raccoon or deer suffers too much during harvesting. LOL I don't eat raccoon but I kill plenty!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"