Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fear_no_fish
Captain

Re: Skok

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:09 am

jd39 wrote:Pretty sad thread indeed but i like that the mods let it play out. Just my $.02. Honestly it's helped inform my views as a newer angler to rivers.
Pretty sad doesn't even cover this.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 am

fear_no_fish wrote:
jd39 wrote:Pretty sad thread indeed but i like that the mods let it play out. Just my $.02. Honestly it's helped inform my views as a newer angler to rivers.
Won't argue with you on this one. We got off on the wrong foot awhile back but I think we agree here. Take care fnf.

I've said my peace, I'm against flossing/snagging but beyond that I'm not going to comment on the subject anymore. I've come around to Nate's point of view that's it's a pointless debate going nowhere fast. It's not what I joined this site for anyway. See you all on the water, have fun and be safe!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:48 pm

I am the River fisherman amongst the Mods, so by default this thread probably falls under my watch, and I have to admit, I have not - until today, looked at it. So, why have I let this thread play out...
:-k

There are a few reasons really.

#1 I've been too busy working or fishing to follow it.

#2 I tried fishing the Skok a couple years in a row - the 1st year I left saying "I'll never go back" and the 2nd year I left saying, "Now I remember why I said I'll never go back". I have no interest in that fishery so no interest in the thread.

#3 I knew from past years as soon as the thread was started it was doomed just like any threads that have the words "Flossing", "Snagging" or "Eating Bass".

#4 If I did shut it down immediatly a new thread would appear titled "What happened to the Skok thread?" and the whole deal starts all over again (only with the added posts about us Mods overstepping our bounds).

So in the end, as long as the bickering is at a safe and sane level, why not let it play out here instead of branching out to other parts of the site.

To those that don't like the thread - stop reading it
To those that don't like the Skok - stop fishing it
To those that don't like the way the Skok is fished - contact the WDFW
To those that think us Mods are not doing a good enough job on this site - volunteer, we could use the eyes.
(You notice I underlined volunteer - we mods are just that, volunteers. This thread has like 15 pages of posts, I don't have the time or interest to read each and every post)
If you specifically have been called a name or threatened in any way, contact us - those actions are against site policy, we will review and take appropriate action.

Well there went my break - back to work....
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote: ...or "Eating Bass".....
Oh no, now you done it! [-X

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:28 pm

natetreat wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote: ...or "Eating Bass".....
Oh no, now you done it! [-X

I like to eat the smaller size bass (under 12 inches). They are much more tender and flavorful than the bigger ones that can be legally retained.

I've seen a bacon-wrapped bass recipe/posting on another local fishing website, which I would like try next time I retain some smallies for the table.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 pm

#-o
](*,)
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:#-o
](*,)
See what I mean?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:29 pm

jd39 wrote:
fear_no_fish wrote:
Won't argue with you on this one. We got off on the wrong foot awhile back but I think we agree here. Take care fnf.

I've said my peace, I'm against flossing/snagging but beyond that I'm not going to comment on the subject anymore. I've come around to Nate's point of view that's it's a pointless debate going nowhere fast. It's not what I joined this site for anyway. See you all on the water, have fun and be safe!
Some people around here grew up fishing that way. This isn't a new discussion, it's been going on for 80 years. Everyone wants to catch fish, they find a way to do it. With declining salmon runs, lower numbers, fewer rivers to fish with hatcheries less than 3 miles from the salt, this is the kind of fishery we have to deal with. Can you name a bank only fishery with the numbers of chinook that the Skok or Samish has? There isn't one. All of the king anglers convene on that one tiny little river, and you're going to see it all. The technique has evolved as a perceived necessity from the sheer number of anglers stomping around in one little creek. Agree or disagree, that's how it is. I don't support either side, I see it as an interesting and frustrating, if not pointless debate. I just wish everyone could get along, and stop slinging mud one way or the other. Those fish are put into the river to get caught, so let's catch 'em before the nets get them all. I wish the season would be longer on the Skok to spread out the pressure. Further arguments on the merits of mouth snagging I will be responding to in the form of animated gifs and rage comics.

That being said, don't eat bass. If you do, don't talk about it in public.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Nate There are other small rivers that you can't get a boat down that have just as many chinook as the Samish and the Skokomish. I have not seen anyone floss on either one of those rivers ever. One of the main problems is the mortality rate of native chinook in the Skokomish due to flossing. The last time I fished that river 2 years ago I found a dead native nook with 6 hooks hanging out of him. None of the hooks were anywhere near the mouth.

woady
Petty Officer

meat stick recommendation?

Post by woady » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:45 am

Anybody have a recommendation for a good meat stick rod, baitcaster, under $100? Something I can use next year on the skok and samish that i can buy locally.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

NFCustom wrote:Nate There are other small rivers that you can't get a boat down that have just as many chinook as the Samish and the Skokomish. I have not seen anyone floss on either one of those rivers ever. One of the main problems is the mortality rate of native chinook in the Skokomish due to flossing. The last time I fished that river 2 years ago I found a dead native nook with 6 hooks hanging out of him. None of the hooks were anywhere near the mouth.
That would be called snagging. Not flossing. Haha :-&
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

lost360
Petty Officer

Post by lost360 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 am

Snagging is flossing there guy

kromekrusher
Petty Officer

Post by kromekrusher » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 am

Wow you guys have a lot of spare time.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 am

Ok, now I've never fished the skok, and probably never will. But I love this thread, its like watching jerry springer and I can't help myself, its my guilty pleasure. Now I'm not knocking either side. but from all I've heard, this is not my fishery I enjoy fishing, or more specificly, angling. I like coercing a fish to my lure and enjoying the battle. Not to say I've never flossed a fish but to go to a river rip lip on two fish, yard em in with a meatstick unceremoniously bonk em and go home. No thanks. You boys can have it everyone gets something else out of fishing and if that's what you like and its within the rules, hey, more power to ya. Miss please don't shut this thing down its too much fun to read.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:32 am

Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Post by Jhuynh2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 am

last time I was there, the natives brought out their nets, gutted quite a few chromers and they took the eggs and threw back these beautiful kings!!! I was going to ask them if I could have the fish but figured they were native. But huge chromers just taken for eggs and thrown back - such a waste. The older natives would be upset for the newer tribes are doing this. Do they even know this act is going on?

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:01 am

Jhuynh2 wrote:last time I was there, the natives brought out their nets, gutted quite a few chromers and they took the eggs and threw back these beautiful kings!!! I was going to ask them if I could have the fish but figured they were native. But huge chromers just taken for eggs and thrown back - such a waste. The older natives would be upset for the newer tribes are doing this. Do they even know this act is going on?
Are the eggs for the hatchery? I didn't think that was the process to recover eggs for hatcheries (although I don't know how tribal hatcheries are run at all). Besides for the hatchery I'm a bit confused why eggs would be valuable to tribal members?

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:06 am

there is a big market for exporting eggs. My wife worked for a distribution company a while back that sold styro packaging materials and she sold a ton to the tribes for roe to be shipped back to Japan and China.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 am

fishenfreak wrote:
NFCustom wrote:Nate There are other small rivers that you can't get a boat down that have just as many chinook as the Samish and the Skokomish. I have not seen anyone floss on either one of those rivers ever. One of the main problems is the mortality rate of native chinook in the Skokomish due to flossing. The last time I fished that river 2 years ago I found a dead native nook with 6 hooks hanging out of him. None of the hooks were anywhere near the mouth.
That would be called snagging. Not flossing. Haha :-&
They six hooks hanging out was a floss attempt fail. Aka snagging.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 am

[quote="chrome_chasin"]there is a big market for exporting eggs. My wife worked for a distribution company a while back that sold styro packaging materials and she sold a ton to the tribes for roe to be shipped back to Japan and China.

Asian and Eastern European countries buying up our resource is the real problem. Don't even get me started on trawlers.