Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Re: Skok

Post by Jhuynh2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:41 pm

fishing is fishing. As long as everyone is having fun who cares. But I recently noticed 2 cameras the tribes put into the trees in the lower river. They are recording us as we fish to get evidence to kick us out of the river due to our fishing style and trash and approach to one another. They also deny their people using treble hooks with a huge weight on it. I just saw a native go on the other side, sink down a treble hook and started yanking until he lost the treble hook in the water. I showed the game warden a treble hook I fished out of the river and he said he wasn't surprised by it and that the natives are blaming us for using these treble hooks. That is a joke b/c I have never seen a fellow fisherman use a treble hook. have fun and clean up after yourselves

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Hated to post after your dead horse Nate but had accidental flossing experience. I was out in a float tube on Dry Falls fly fishing with a size 18 bead head pheasant tail under a strike indicator during a mayfly hatch. Caught two RBT by accident when they bit my indicator, does that count as flossing?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:02 pm

eat-sleep-fish wrote:Hated to post after your dead horse Nate but had accidental flossing experience. I was out in a float tube on Dry Falls fly fishing with a size 18 bead head pheasant tail under a strike indicator during a mayfly hatch. Caught two RBT by accident when they bit my indicator, does that count as flossing?
Yes. You my friend are a snagger.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:11 pm

natetreat wrote:
eat-sleep-fish wrote:Hated to post after your dead horse Nate but had accidental flossing experience. I was out in a float tube on Dry Falls fly fishing with a size 18 bead head pheasant tail under a strike indicator during a mayfly hatch. Caught two RBT by accident when they bit my indicator, does that count as flossing?

Dang it! I was afraid of that! LOL Is there a cure? Or am I doomed forever?

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm

racfish wrote:I'll agree with you on that. If I use a longer leader I dont try to rip a face off. I vary my leader length so i can send down my bait without the swivel ,weight being right there spooking a fish. I use longer leaders at times but I dont call it flossing. Its called presentation.I get angry watching people snag but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. If they are snagging they dont want to hear a lecture. I'll guarantee. Plus these days you need to be fluent in 7 languages to explain it.
Yep, every book/article I've read recommended different leader lengths based on water conditions and technique being used. I'm still a newbie to river fishing so I'm not sure what leader lengths I should be using, when alone I try different lengths to see what happens and learn. With guides, I've seen different leader lengths used too. Yeah, I don't bother people either, if it's really blatant I'll report it. If it's iffy, I leave it alone and just try to enjoy being out and hopefully get better at fishing rivers. Take care racfish! Appreciate your response and discussing with you, tight lines!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Dang it! I was afraid of that! LOL Is there a cure? Or am I doomed forever?
50 Hail Mary's and 20 Acts of Contrition and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:17 pm

natetreat wrote:

Did I touch a nerve Nate? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but this response appears to be an attempt to ridicule my recent posts / observations. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If I'm not, you should read some of your own posts and take some of your own advice, it's actually very good sometimes and I've agreed with your input and perspective a lot, especially about civil discourse. Take care.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:23 pm

jd39 wrote:
natetreat wrote:

Did I touch a nerve Nate? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but this response appears to be an attempt to ridicule my recent posts / observations. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If I'm not, you should read some of your own posts and take some of your own advice, it's actually very good sometimes and I've agreed with your input and perspective a lot, especially about civil discourse. Take care.
No, I'm not ridiculing your posts, just the topic. It happens every year, the moment the salmon show up in small water. Some one gets upset and starts the ball rolling and it doesn't go away until the chum turn moldy.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Someone please cage this dead horse Lol make it stop! ](*,)

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 pm

[/quote]
No, I'm not ridiculing your posts, just the topic. It happens every year, the moment the salmon show up in small water. Some one gets upset and starts the ball rolling and it doesn't go away until the chum turn moldy.[/quote]

Fair enough, still being a newbie (never even been to the skok) I find it all interesting and worth discussing. I'm sure that'll wear off sooner or later. Take care and I hope the crazies leave you alone, nobody should have to fish armed, get hate mail or have to physically defend themselves from assault.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:18 pm

yah I have stood next to the natives snagging with large trebles before at the skok, it was 2 years ago and I remember one ripping it so hard when he hooked a pink it went flying back at him. of course he dehooked the barbed hook out of the fish and threw it up on the bank and continued snagging. earlier that day I found the exact same rig the guy was using too. I hope you took down those cameras or atleast blocked them with something. maybe take a video of the natives snagging too to have evidence.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Well im biting my tongue and moving on.

Today was the 11th day of the skok being open, 9 limits, 2 days with 1 fish. Gonna go earlier tomorrow an throw eggs.
7 over 20 pounds. 11 for harvester cards.

Also, this older married couple comes to the clay banks today for there first time, never been to the skok doesn't know anyone who fishes it. Theyre from Wenatchee. They come over and say, "We heard from a guy at our local sporting goods store that there is a 15 year old named Jacob that catches fish more than anyone else here. Is it true?" Or something like that. Is it a good or bad thing that people are chit chatting about me a lot? I have people come up to me all the time that I don't know and say stuff like "hey Jacob, well how many you got today? You slay 'em all the time" They act like were bestfriends Lol
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 pm

I would say that you have a scouting report haha, well normally it is good that people know you are a fish slayer as long as it is true which in this case it is, you flat out catch fish bro and I have witnessed it with my own eyes, flat out fish killer[drool]

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:I would say that you have a scouting report haha, well normally it is good that people know you are a fish slayer as long as it is true which in this case it is, you flat out catch fish bro and I have witnessed it with my own eyes, flat out fish killer[drool]
Yeah haha thanks brotha! I was talkin to David the other day, and he said I should fish the hump with you guys this year, you guys can show me the spots out there.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:53 pm

jd39 wrote:
racfish wrote:I'll agree with you on that. If I use a longer leader I dont try to rip a face off. I vary my leader length so i can send down my bait without the swivel ,weight being right there spooking a fish. I use longer leaders at times but I dont call it flossing. Its called presentation.I get angry watching people snag but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. If they are snagging they dont want to hear a lecture. I'll guarantee. Plus these days you need to be fluent in 7 languages to explain it.
Yep, every book/article I've read recommended different leader lengths based on water conditions and technique being used. I'm still a newbie to river fishing so I'm not sure what leader lengths I should be using, when alone I try different lengths to see what happens and learn. With guides, I've seen different leader lengths used too. Yeah, I don't bother people either, if it's really blatant I'll report it. If it's iffy, I leave it alone and just try to enjoy being out and hopefully get better at fishing rivers. Take care racfish! Appreciate your response and discussing with you, tight lines!

this is not about running a longer leader for conditions. this is about running leaders in the six plus foot range and longer for purposes that have nothing to do with presentation to entice a strike. it has to do with a style of harvesting in which the "angler" seems to set the hook low and hard on nearly every cast. it is obvious and i have never fished in an area where it is accepted before as angling. I'm not trying to irritate anyone or be abrasive but i have a hard time believing this is accepted and defended especially by "guides". thx for your consideration and tact.

jbm

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:09 pm

John Bushmaster wrote:
jd39 wrote:

this is not about running a longer leader for conditions. this is about running leaders in the six plus foot range and longer for purposes that have nothing to do with presentation to entice a strike. it has to do with a style of harvesting in which the "angler" seems to set the hook low and hard on nearly every cast. it is obvious and i have never fished in an area where it is accepted before as angling. I'm not trying to irritate anyone or be abrasive but i have a hard time believing this is accepted and defended especially by "guides". thx for your consideration and tact.

jbm
I'm not defending flossing. I'm not having that debate right now, what I said, and stand by, is that the attitude of folks that dislike flossing towards the anglers that do it is unacceptable. You're talking about ethics here. Let's put it on the scales of justice:
1. Using a technique that's not "fair" for the fish, hooking an unwilling fish. Mouth snagging, if you will. Forcing a lock jaw fish onto the end of your line. A violation of ethics against a fish.

2. Insulting other people. Redneck Snagger, Knuckledragger, worthless... I'm sure if they wouldn't get banned they'd call them worse names. Not only that, they say it to people on the river, and cause trouble there. A violation of ethics against a person.

Who is committing the bigger sin? Whether I floss fish or not isn't even what we are talking about. I would rather fish with a line of flossing snagger knuckledraggers than you. It's no sweat off my back if you don't hire me. I don't floss fish with my clients. I get my clients on fish, I give them the trip of a lifetime, and I've helped more beginning anglers to their first steelhead or salmon than I can count. I'm proud of the service that I provide, and I'm proud of the fact that I treat everyone with respect. And I would rather have a jolly good time flossing fish than put up with elitist aholes.

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah haha thanks brotha! I was talkin to David the other day, and he said I should fish the hump with you guys this year, you guys can show me the spots out there.[/quote]

Still just a thought though. Its a long drive and the only good bank spot we know of is Stevens crk.

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 pm

jbm[/quote]

I'm not defending flossing. I'm not having that debate right now, what I said, and stand by, is that the attitude of folks that dislike flossing towards the anglers that do it is unacceptable. You're talking about ethics here. Let's put it on the scales of justice:
1. Using a technique that's not "fair" for the fish, hooking an unwilling fish. Mouth snagging, if you will. Forcing a lock jaw fish onto the end of your line. A violation of ethics against a fish.

2. Insulting other people. Redneck Snagger, Knuckledragger, worthless... I'm sure if they wouldn't get banned they'd call them worse names. Not only that, they say it to people on the river, and cause trouble there. A violation of ethics against a person.

Who is committing the bigger sin? Whether I floss fish or not isn't even what we are talking about. I would rather fish with a line of flossing snagger knuckledraggers than you. It's no sweat off my back if you don't hire me. I don't floss fish with my clients. I get my clients on fish, I give them the trip of a lifetime, and I've helped more beginning anglers to their first steelhead or salmon than I can count. I'm proud of the service that I provide, and I'm proud of the fact that I treat everyone with respect. And I would rather have a jolly good time flossing fish than put up with elitist aholes.[/quote]

Nate I'm not picking on you nor do i want a debate of what is obviously of a personal nature for you. also i am not here to discuss your merits or demerits as a guide. I'm just curious about this. i am not an elitist or as you put it an "ahole". besides the last time i called a fish out for being a lousy tug they didn't care. i don't care if you call me unnfounded names, seems to me folks are most sensitive about names that cut close to the reality of what they know they are. I'm sure you are a fantastic guide as you seem to have quite a following here and are a respected member of this esteemed community.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:36 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote: Yeah haha thanks brotha! I was talkin to David the other day, and he said I should fish the hump with you guys this year, you guys can show me the spots out there.
yeah either there or the satsop, but I rather fish the local stuff before that like other hood canal tribs and the dungy. with this years huge run expected in the quil it should be good in October too.

Jhuynh2
Petty Officer

Post by Jhuynh2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:09 pm

r they nettimg the mouth so its so slow?