Tigers on the Fly!

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
edw
Petty Officer

Re: Tigers on the Fly!

Post by edw » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:05 am

Anglinarcher, I fly fish for Muskies exclusively and I take exception to some of the things you said. One in particular is the fly size. "That is mostly a demonstration of foolish statements and bravado" If 12-14" flies bother you-I also make and use 17" flies. Using small flies will get you Muskies of a smaller lot for sure. I have over 30 Muskies this year with the biggest being 48"and it looks like many more to come but not one fish under 30". My average is 38" and soon will be 39". If your goal is to brag like a guide that you caught all these Muskies even 20"ers, then by all means use little flies. Let me use the big flies and catch the big fish.
Ed

edw
Petty Officer

Post by edw » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 am

Anglinarcher, I fly fish for Muskies exclusively and I take exception to some of the things you said. One in particular is the fly size. "That is mostly a demonstration of foolish statements and bravado" If 12-14" flies bother you-I also make and use 17" flies. Using small flies will get you Muskies of a smaller lot for sure. I have over 30 Muskies this year with the biggest being 48"and it looks like many more to come but not one fish under 30". My average is 38" and soon will be 39". If your goal is to brag like a guide that you caught all these Muskies even 20"ers, then by all means use little flies. Let me use the big flies and catch the big fish.
Ed
PS go to http:www.youtube.com/9r8XCkN1gnE

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Saying it twice sure makes me believe it more. [laugh] [thumbsup]

I said you could catch then on larger offerings, I also said that 95% were caught on smaller offerings. I too fish with larger offerings then everyone else I know, but that is because I target the biggest, not the first or most. He is getting started with Fly Fishing for Tigers, would you suggest he wait to get his first fish until it is a monster?

Like I said Bravado. [-X ](*,)

slammerscott
Angler

Post by slammerscott » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Fly fishing for Muskies is for guys that can't seem to figure out how to catch them on conventional gear. Standard gear will outfish flies in most cases, it's just a matter of thinking outside the box at times and knowing the fish. I've got a buddy that's caught over 50 Tigers this season throwing the hard baits.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:17 pm

slammerscott wrote:Fly fishing for Muskies is for guys that can't seem to figure out how to catch them on conventional gear. Standard gear will outfish flies in most cases, it's just a matter of thinking outside the box at times and knowing the fish. I've got a buddy that's caught over 50 Tigers this season throwing the hard baits.
ROFLMAO - we have gone from Bravado to really bad jokes.

Scott, you are correct, Standard gear will out-fish flies, "all of the time". Just like race cars will go faster then a horse and riffles will shoot farther then bows. So why do people ride horses instead of race cars and hunt with bows instead of riffles???? Because they chose the hard way, the challenging way, the way that is "more fun" to them.

You must be telling a joke because no one in their right mind would say that anyone would fly fish for Muskies, or Tigers, because they can't seem to figure out how to catch them on conventional gear. It must be a joke because no one on this site in the entire thread has said anything about flies being easier to catch Tigers, or Muskies, with.

I really don't care what your "buddy" has done and how he uses hard baits. What I do care about is what the thread is about, "tigers on the fly".

Troll alert! [scared] [-X

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Hey Slammerscott and fellow Muskie Anglers,

I did not start this forum to go back and forth about who was better at Muskie fishing or who has more knowledge or experience. Although I will say it is great to see the diversity of knowledge on this subject and is very educational.

Here is something for everyone to think about, where and when did you start fishing? How old were you? and who had the influence on your passion to begin being a Muskie Angler. I am going to go out on a limb and say that none of us on here became Professional Muskie Anglers overnight and not one of us started out Muskie Fishing from day one. I can personally tell you that I have been Muskie Fishing for over 20 years and started in the Muskie Capital of the World on the Chippewa Flowage in Hayward, Wisconsin and am proud as hell to still call this home today! I am not in Washington on my own accord, I was placed here under Military orders and have accepted the call to serve here in the Great Northwest.

Many people on here assume that I have no background in Muskie Fishing however what they don't know is that I have probably been fishing and catching Muskie's for as long, if not longer than the majority of people on here. I don't say this to brag or sound arrogant, I say this because I chose to start Fly Fishing for Tigers and fish in general as a new way of catching Muskies and other kinds of fish since I have spent numerous years with just a regular rod and reel. I wanted to not only do something for myself differently, but I also wanted to give back to my Grandparents who instilled in me the passion for fishing. Learning about and how to Fly Fish in general is something that I will be able to teach my Grandparents and will be the best thing I could ever do for anyone who has ever had an impact in my fishing life! I caught my very first Muskie when I was 11 years old and ever since then I have always had the itch and can't wait to get back out for that next one.

Anyone who is anyone in the Muskie world will tell you that the comment in regards to "Fly fishing for Muskies is for guys that can't seem to figure out how to catch them on conventional gear" would be someone who doesn't understand or really know that much about Muskie Fishing. Go do some research, start with Muskie Inc Magazine and then work your way into some of the pages of Muskyhunter magazine and you will be shocked to see that over the past few years, some of the biggest recorded numbers of Muskies were caught on Fly's. I am not arguing that they can't be caught with conventional gear, because we all know that is true. I have caught my fare share on Spoons, bucktails, and swimbaits and I wouldn't argue for a minute that those ways aren't affective however Fly Fishing for Muskies has been extremely successful and I would venture to say that guys like Ed W and others who Fly Fish in this State for Tigers have been as successful if not more successful than those fishing with conventional gear. As a matter of fact I do believe Ed W who strictly Fly Fishes for Tigers actually Won a Tiger Muskie Tournament not too long ago hands down using just Fly Fishing techniques while the rest of the field used conventional Muskie Fishing tactics.

At the end of the day, none of us are fishing the professional circuit in the Muskie world so my thoughts are that most of us on here are fishing for FUN and trying to learn new things and become more educated on Muskies. Last I checked that is what Muskie fishing is all about, however if you are a Pro I would personally enjoy to get out and fish with you and learn your ways and how I personally can become a better Muskie Angler. If Fly Fishing for Muskies in general makes me seem like I don't know what I am doing then that is perfectly fine with me and I have no problem being the guy who knows nothing. Trust me I have dealt with all kinds of anglers and personalities out on the water and I personally could care less what anyone thinks of me. I am not trying to impress anyone, I just consider it a bonus if you like me and if you don't well it certainly is not my loss. I once was told by someone very close to me "Surround yourself with the people you most want to be like." Think about that long and hard and maybe take a look in the mirror, being someone who tries to make themselves feel better by bashing others really doesn't understand what Fishing really is all about. I am more than willing to take anyone on this site out fishing with me so you can get to know who I really am and I think you would be shocked to learn that I am someone who actually is a passionate angler who wants to become better on all fronts! Thanks for keeping this conversation going it has been educational. Tight Lines All!!!

Nate

edw
Petty Officer

Post by edw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 am

hey slammerscott check this outis video by WDFW features my friend Ed Walzer, aka "The Fly Guy." Ed's team of musky hunters took first place two years running in the annual Cascade Musky Association's Lake Mayfield Open tournament. Seven fish the first year (out of 13 caught), eight the second year (out of 22 caught). Visit the CMA website to see some photos of some amazingly talented anglers with their monster fish: http://www.cascademuskyassociation.com/ ... dopen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Ed got some strange looks the first year he brought his fly rod to the tourney, but he made us all believers by the end of the first day. See my story from the 2012 tourney here: http://www.almostdailynews.com/2012/07/ ... ournament/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.