The Anti-Pink Thread

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: The Anti-Pink Thread

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:33 am

To each his own is my opinion. Crowds do bring out the pigs, sad to say. Whether it's an outdoor rock concert, a festival, or fishing for pinks, there are those people that we unfortunately have to share the planet with that just don't respect Mother Earth. It is sickening.
As to the taste of pinks, I guess my taste buds must be marginal, I never thought they were bad. I'll have to pay more attention.
I know this - we have visitors coming from Montana in two weeks, first time fishing for salmon. I think they will have a good time catching pinks, even with a flasher and downrigger rod. I'm anticipating some smiles and shouts. :cheers:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:44 am

Mike Carey wrote:To each his own is my opinion. Crowds do bring out the pigs, sad to say. Whether it's an outdoor rock concert, a festival, or fishing for pinks, there are those people that we unfortunately have to share the planet with that just don't respect Mother Earth. It is sickening.
As to the taste of pinks, I guess my taste buds must be marginal, I never thought they were bad. I'll have to pay more attention.
I know this - we have visitors coming from Montana in two weeks, first time fishing for salmon. I think they will have a good time catching pinks, even with a flasher and downrigger rod. I'm anticipating some smiles and shouts. :cheers:
Mike, it would be interesting to hear. If one rod used during that Pink trip was a Kokanee rod. Just for comparison. On a rod rated for 4-10 test, these fish are strong drag screamers. The wife, whom has many Salmon under her belt. Coho, Kings, Pinks, and Sockeye. She could not believe the fight of the Pink on a Trout rod.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 am

Just caught some on a 8 1/2 4-6 pound with a light reel. 6 poundtest line haha drag was screaming.

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:05 am

MotoBoat wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:To each his own is my opinion. Crowds do bring out the pigs, sad to say. Whether it's an outdoor rock concert, a festival, or fishing for pinks, there are those people that we unfortunately have to share the planet with that just don't respect Mother Earth. It is sickening.
Mike, it would be interesting to hear. If one rod used during that Pink trip was a Kokanee rod. Just for comparison. On a rod rated for 4-10 test, these fish are strong drag screamers. The wife, whom has many Salmon under her belt. Coho, Kings, Pinks, and Sockeye. She could not believe the fight of the Pink on a Trout rod.
I got out and trolled for pinks last sunday after I got my chinook, and I used one of my white lamiglas kokanee rods. They were absolutely appropriate for fishing for pinks. It was way more fun than my heavier salmon rods. Also, using the smaller white flashers (like the coyote 0 white fish scale) makes the fight a lot more interesting.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:09 am

fear_no_fish wrote:"Its not my job" is completely correct. I shouldn't have to deal with peoples trash and no one else should either. Pick up after yourself, its that simple. Sure it helps to clean up after others but that gives them room to continue to ruin the rivers, lakes, ect. So rather then teaching people to pick up after others the focus should shift towards picking up after ones self. Seems like a better message to me?
Boy, if only the world were a perfect place! Your logic fails you though. Because they're already littering and treating the area like garbage, picking up after them does not encourage them to do it more. I am one of those people who pick up styro containers, plastic bags and beer cans and bring them to the garbage can, and I can't tell you how many times while I'm picking up someones garbage, they say "oh sorry, let me get that" and put it in their bag. You know damn well they weren't going to pick it up if they didn't feel ashamed about someone ELSE picking it up for them.

So instead of being petulant and saying "that's not my job", how about you pitch in and spread the word?

By the way, I picked up more trash at jonkers this year before pinks were even hinted about coming, and that's not a very well fished spot in the spring and early summer, so these people littering are everywhere at all times, not just during pink season!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:57 am

rcthepirate wrote:
MotoBoat wrote:
I got out and trolled for pinks last sunday after I got my chinook, and I used one of my white lamiglas kokanee rods. They were absolutely appropriate for fishing for pinks. It was way more fun than my heavier salmon rods. Also, using the smaller white flashers (like the coyote 0 white fish scale) makes the fight a lot more interesting.
OK, I should definitely give that a try.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:55 am

An "anti pink" thread is surely my kind of thread. While everyone is out on the river plunking 40 ounces of lead for 4 lb fish, ive been doing this....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (129.01 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:53 am

Mordalphus wrote: So instead of being petulant and saying "that's not my job", how about you pitch in and spread the word?
Since i'm so off base, please inform me on how I can properly "pitch in and spread the word".

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:02 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:
Mordalphus wrote: So instead of being petulant and saying "that's not my job", how about you pitch in and spread the word?
Since i'm so off base, please inform me on how I can properly "pitch in and spread the word".
grab a bag and pick up all the crap u see. is not that hard. my 2 and a half yo nephew can do it so im sure u can. u cant pitch in to preserve and keep resources clean then u have no right in using them

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 pm

I don't know if I could have made my post any clearer, I guess this picture might help.

I don't think picking up trash is controversial, no need to get all bent out of shape. I guess they don't teach about taking care of the earth in school anymore, when I was in school we were taught that if you see litter, pick it up and throw it away AKA "PITCH IN"

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:01 pm

I understand picking up trash is good. Thanks though, maybe you should try teaching someone who actually liters. Instead of me since I do pick up trash others leave along with my own. I'm glad there's other people who care strongly about keeping rivers clean. Thanks for all your hard work.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 pm

I do teach people who litter, by picking their litter up right in front of them and making them feel like an ass.
My point was, YOU could do the same thing. Shaming people into picking up after themselves speaks much louder than words.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Mordalphus wrote:I do teach people who litter, by picking their litter up right in front of them and making them feel like an ass.
My point was, YOU could do the same thing. Shaming people into picking up after themselves speaks much louder than words.
when you see the Easter bunny say hi for me, thansk and have a geat day

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Mordalphus wrote:
fear_no_fish wrote:"Its not my job" is completely correct. I shouldn't have to deal with peoples trash and no one else should either. Pick up after yourself, its that simple. Sure it helps to clean up after others but that gives them room to continue to ruin the rivers, lakes, ect. So rather then teaching people to pick up after others the focus should shift towards picking up after ones self. Seems like a better message to me?
Boy, if only the world were a perfect place! Your logic fails you though. Because they're already littering and treating the area like garbage, picking up after them does not encourage them to do it more. I am one of those people who pick up styro containers, plastic bags and beer cans and bring them to the garbage can, and I can't tell you how many times while I'm picking up someones garbage, they say "oh sorry, let me get that" and put it in their bag. You know damn well they weren't going to pick it up if they didn't feel ashamed about someone ELSE picking it up for them.

So instead of being petulant and saying "that's not my job", how about you pitch in and spread the word?

By the way, I picked up more trash at jonkers this year before pinks were even hinted about coming, and that's not a very well fished spot in the spring and early summer, so these people littering are everywhere at all times, not just during pink season!
This was well said...... "Fear no fish" We as good people need to drop the attitude of "Thats not my job" and lead by example. I have no problem telling others leaving trash that there forgetting it and to pick it up but on that same token those kind of people dont share the same values as true sportsman do. Judge the situation to be sure it is safe to say something to some one for there not thinking right I dont want someone to get hurt over garbage yes there are too many wackos out there. We just need to do what we can to protect our fishing holes from being closed due to litter bugs and its a on going process to teach others to stop. Good luck be safe and keep up the good work. Its the thrill of the fight on the end of the line and to be able to pass that on.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:32 am

when i have fished the river bank or edge of the lake I always pick up the trash I see immediately around me I usually have a couple of shopping bags on me. Just makes my bloody boil seeing it all but calms me down after I've cleaned up the area where I'm fishing. Always worried the game warden will blame me lol..doesn't take a min and its not my job but so what karma is real IMO. As for the OP too much hate around already mate. Stay in doors if it bothers you that much.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:04 am

I know I have done it in the past with another board, but instead of everyone griping about who does what and who doesn't, why don't we arrange a WL clean up day... I know we cant keep every river clean but we could arrange a day where North end angler meet for a few hours and walk the banks and clean up trash on a given river, same with south enders.... I know its not our jobs, but in the nature of babysitting our future resources, I do think we need to do something. I would give up a day of fishing and even bring my kids to help . Just a thought , instead of talking about it, here in a month or 2, we should just do it.... Meet new members, get garbage off the river banks and make a difference.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:31 am

I like that idea, let's do it! My 2 year old loves picking up trash, and something like this should probably be done every year anyway

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 am

My kids and I try to do it every few months and I do it at least 4 times a year myself.... If we could get a group together on a planned day, it would be a great way to clean up the banks, meet new members and if we wanted, do speed fishing... walk to a hole, fish , pick up trash, repeat...

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:14 pm

I didn't even waste my time reading this thread.

Heading out the door to fish the river.... for pinks!

Matt

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Matt wrote:I didn't even waste my time reading this thread.

Heading out the door to fish the river.... for pinks!

Matt
:cheers: