Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Re: Skok

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 am

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:its a lot of fun, were rednecks and we just like to have a good time. Not hard to get along with us! Come on over, if you see me say hi, ill more than likely be wearing a cut off reflector shirt tucked in to my jeans, with a camo Remington hat
Might just do that. Thanks.

Do I need to be worried/scared about the guy waving the Confederate flag?

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:09 am

I would be worried about anybody waving a confederate flag.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
FishBaitThe2nd wrote:its a lot of fun, were rednecks and we just like to have a good time. Not hard to get along with us! Come on over, if you see me say hi, ill more than likely be wearing a cut off reflector shirt tucked in to my jeans, with a camo Remington hat
Might just do that. Thanks.

Do I need to be worried/scared about the guy waving the Confederate flag?

Lol nope! Hes a great guy actually, just don't cast over his fish or use braid and youll be on good terms with everybody. [biggrin]
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:56 pm

8 Days 8 limits. Smallest fish has been 14 pounds, 7 fish over 20.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Never thought id say this but it gets annoying catching a lot of fish lol. Every single day Im fishing and I hear people that I have no idea who they are saying 'Yeah this Jacob kid, he catches fish all the time, hes the best down here' or something of the sort. Im a lot better this year than I was last year. Im out fishing every guy in the hole every day with leaders half as long as them. I have every day 6 or 7 people come up to me with harvester cards begging me to help them catch fish, people offer me money to buy fish from me, a guy payed me $50 to help his kid catch a fish cause he couldn't. I got his kid on a fish within 20 minutes. The next day the kid hooked 4 got one in the mouth and landed it, that's what its all about right there. I love catching fish but man people need to give me space lol!

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:55 pm

natetreat wrote:
natetreat wrote:
losaturn wrote:The reason the bobber guys are so territorial, is because they have little refuge from the snaggers. A good egg bite can be turned off pretty quick, by some knuckledragger ripping through the hole. I actually find fishing with fellow bait fisherman, to be more relaxing.
I really don't like the name calling of other fishermen. I've been called a snagger for drift fishing, and it's just a dumb idea. There is not really a bite on that river during the afternoon, at least not a bait bite. I've found the elitist "egg" fishermen to be the most crabby, rude, irritable and disrespectful people on the river. And there are more of them up north. Just today I had a guy start a fist fight with me over a rock at reiter. There were only 3 people there, and he comes at me.

He first called me a snagger because I was drift fishing. I can tell you for the most part, on the Skok, I'd rather fish with the rippers than the egg and bait guys. It's no fun. Every time there is a thread about "flossing" or "snagging" who are the ones calling fellow anglers "knuckledraggers"? Who are the folks getting physical because of tangles? It's the folks that go to a hatchery expecting to find lonely, secluded Field and Stream BS. You will NEVER have the river to yourself fishing hatchery brats. We have two runs of salmon of the caliber of the Skok. The Skok and the Samish. No where else do we have a large number of chinook in a readily bank accessible area. GET OVER IT.

Honestly, I am SO fed up with all the name calling, the drama over snagging, flossing, low holing, nymphing, swinging blah blah blah blah blah! I had to have a sit down with the sheriff today over this crap. And it's not the first time! I've been nothing but helpful on here, I give tips and tricks and teach people to fish, and the elitists on here are assaulting me on the river, trying to fight me, and giving me grief while I'm trying to run a business. I would rather fish with the line, a bunch of guys that are happy to be fishing with a bunch of guys than bait slingers. You want to sling bait? Go to the cowlitz and catch springers. They're still there! Drive to the OP, fish the nooch, satsop or any number of rivers. DON"T GO TO THE SKOK. Quit whining because you can't share. If you're so worried, bring a trash bag. And stay away from the humpies if you can't get along.

I don't back down. I'm fed up with this drama, on here, it's just a debate. But it's not just on here, folks read this, they get it in their head that baities are so much better and holier than dentists and then they go out and cause trouble. This stupid Field and Stream dream that steelheaders have of their ideal day on the water needs to stay in Alaska. Seriously, I'm tired of it. ARGH.

You sir, are my hero.
Sorry about that, I was really angry. I had to re-read that to see if I would regret anything I said. I don't.[/quote]

its all choice on however you wish to fish.
Whether it be bait or gear. It all depends on what kind of person you wish to be. IMO, I believe that with fishing is just like hunting, everything is fair chase, every life has meaning. Every creature wishes to survive. As long as your compliant with the rules you should be fine. Theres also combat fishing with bait fisherman. When I was down there at purdy cuttoff yesterday. There was more bait fisherman near the spawning grounds Than I have ever seen. People standing from the logjam area to people standing on the other side casting. All in all everyone wants to get into fish. I would just like to say, please be considerate of others and show others some respect. If you decide to show up late and try to get into a tight group of fisherman that were there before you, don't, thats your own fault. You came in late. you can wait. or go to the end of the line. And most importanly, if you wish to join, ask. don't just push right in.
As far as the samish goes. please be compliant. we've worked and put in so much effort in getting the skokomish open. The samish will be open but it may close early pending on angler behavior.
We're all sportsman, so show some sportsmanship
and nate salmon do bite bait in the afternoon on the skok, just depends on where you are :)

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:39 am

There's a reason why I wake up at 3am every day, and it's not because salmon bite just fine in the afternoon. Add about 3,000 anglers stomping around in a shallow clear river, do the math. If every angler on the Skok used bait we'd be donating thousands of fish to the tribal nets.

And it is attitude. And the isolationists have a bad one. It's not the combat crowds that wants to fight when I get down to the river, it's the spey casters and jig floaters. I can't afford to have to throw down with every guy who's not happy about sharing the river, nor should I. The rudest and foulest attitudes are found on the OP and the Skykomish, not on the Cowlitz or the Skokomish. From isolationists. Selfish, self righteous, egotistical snobs. Don't complain about the Skok, or pink years, just don't go. This misanthropy towards other fishermen is intolerable.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 am

natetreat wrote:There's a reason why I wake up at 3am every day, and it's not because salmon bite just fine in the afternoon. Add about 3,000 anglers stomping around in a shallow clear river, do the math. If every angler on the Skok used bait we'd be donating thousands of fish to the tribal nets.

And it is attitude. And the isolationists have a bad one. It's not the combat crowds that wants to fight when I get down to the river, it's the spey casters and jig floaters. I can't afford to have to throw down with every guy who's not happy about sharing the river, nor should I. The rudest and foulest attitudes are found on the OP and the Skykomish, not on the Cowlitz or the Skokomish. From isolationists. Selfish, self righteous, egotistical snobs. Don't complain about the Skok, or pink years, just don't go. This misanthropy towards other fishermen is intolerable.

I heartily concur! I've run into more attitude on the Sky than just about any place. Why are you drifting in front of me? and why do you have to run your boat there?..... Because you anchored in the only navigable stretch on the river......
Come on really??
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:26 am

The best part of the Sko is you have all different types of people together with one thing in common fishing. I have never had any problems with anyone up there . If your not good at interacting with other people and overly concerned about what other people are doing the Sko is not the place for you.

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:23 am

Wait, I'm confused. Is flossing legal?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 am

schu7498 wrote:I would be worried about anybody waving a confederate flag.
Hahaha. This entire thread is hilarious but this one is especially awesome. =D>
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 am

fishenfreak wrote:
Banjo music playing in the background......... [scared]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Bodofish wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:
Banjo music playing in the background......... [scared]

Hahaha! That's my buddy Tristan, hes a great guy I promise! [biggrin]

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:35 pm

John Bushmaster wrote:Wait, I'm confused. Is flossing legal?

If you can do it right, yes. If youre ripping your rod as hard as you can youre not flossing youre hoping you get lucky and hit a fish gill plate forward.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:54 pm

fishing most be slow... not for me 4 days 4 limits, 15 for 36 in those 4 days, minter creek slot does it again haha

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 pm

[quoteshBaitThe2nd"]

If you can do it right, yes. If youre ripping your rod as hard as you can youre not flossing youre hoping you get lucky and hit a fish gill plate forward.[/quote]

love this thread lots of good info. going to give it a try this week. how do i rig up to floss? how's it work, and what's the best lure? How's it work?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:27 pm

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:39 pm

John Bushmaster wrote:[quoteshBaitThe2nd"]

If you can do it right, yes. If youre ripping your rod as hard as you can youre not flossing youre hoping you get lucky and hit a fish gill plate forward.

love this thread lots of good info. going to give it a try this week. how do i rig up to floss? how's it work, and what's the best lure? How's it work?[/quote]

what exactly is this world coming to anyways [scared]
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

John Bushmaster
Petty Officer

Post by John Bushmaster » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 am

apparently its come to snaggers and flossers needing to be respected as anglers. i couldn't disagree more, they are poachers nothing more. they should be run off by legit anglers. the skok is where the lowest sub humans go to ply their dirtbag ways. the fishery is a total disgrace. used to fish it as a kid, now i just shake my head. most of those guys should be used for cosmetics testing rather than animals. thing is they seem to be proud to be ignorant filthy uneducated rednecks. sad.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:33 am

John Bushmaster wrote:apparently its come to snaggers and flossers needing to be respected as anglers. i couldn't disagree more, they are poachers nothing more. they should be run off by legit anglers. the skok is where the lowest sub humans go to ply their dirtbag ways. the fishery is a total disgrace. used to fish it as a kid, now i just shake my head. most of those guys should be used for cosmetics testing rather than animals. thing is they seem to be proud to be ignorant filthy uneducated rednecks. sad.
When you start calling folks uneducated, you should start by using proper punctuation and spelling. New sentences begin with a capitalized letter. Don't go to the Skok, you don't belong.