Storm lake, Snoho County Smallies?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dea
Petty Officer

Storm lake, Snoho County Smallies?

Post by dea » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 am

I took my kayak out to Storm lake the other day; late afternoon, evening. I had a great time casting small spinners at the cover near shore and caught a ton of little fish ( as I have said before, I would rather catch 10 little fish in 2hrs than 2 big fish in 10hrs ). I caught 3 out of a handful of fish that looked a bit different than the average largie...my first thought was smallies. But Storm lake? Then after a few minutes some old dude in a kayak asked if I was catching, and I said yes. He then asked, "Smallies"? Well, it took about 2hrs for me to finally put the two together and I realized that maybe those three fish that were sort of different looking were smallies(?) They had patterns that looked more smallie like, eyes were smaller, and I believed at the time the mouth was smaller.

With that, can someone confirm there are smallies in Storm Lake?

dea

ral
Petty Officer

Re: Storm lake, Snoho County Smallies?

Post by ral » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 am

I have never seen or heard of smallmouth in Storm Lake but maybe..... A photo would help if you get a chance for one.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:45 am

rock bass? Image
Tom.

Interests: living

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:42 am

Look like this? If so, then it's a smallie.
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (38.02 KiB) Viewed 4453 times

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I've never caught any smallies there, but I've only fished it once. The water and habitat look like they could support 'em though. I wouldn't be that surprised if they were in there.

BassSlayer1981
Petty Officer

Post by BassSlayer1981 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Maybe he was catching perch??? Never heard of smallies in that lake or near it. Goodwin and stevens has smallies I know. Just a guess.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:06 pm

dea wrote:I took my kayak out to Storm lake the other day; late afternoon, evening. I had a great time casting small spinners at the cover near shore and caught a ton of little fish ( as I have said before, I would rather catch 10 little fish in 2hrs than 2 big fish in 10hrs ). I caught 3 out of a handful of fish that looked a bit different than the average largie...my first thought was smallies. But Storm lake? Then after a few minutes some old dude in a kayak asked if I was catching, and I said yes. He then asked, "Smallies"? Well, it took about 2hrs for me to finally put the two together and I realized that maybe those three fish that were sort of different looking were smallies(?) They had patterns that looked more smallie like, eyes were smaller, and I believed at the time the mouth was smaller.

With that, can someone confirm there are smallies in Storm Lake?

dea
You're the one that was catching them. You confirm it for us. LOL.

Pics would have been great. What size were they?

But if I had to guess, smallies, rock bass or warmouths?

I'm quite the expert at catching small smallies. [crying]

Dink SMB

Rock Bass

dea
Petty Officer

Post by dea » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:49 am

Any idea what kind of fish it was ? Did you figure it out Dea ?

dea
Petty Officer

Post by dea » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 am

Yea. I think I was simply flippin. When that gentlemen mentioned smallies, I got surprised and lost my attention. I went out several times thereafter for 3 hours sessions and caught about 20 more ( no smallies ). Most dinks, but a few 1/2-3/4lb'ers sprinkled in. I'll continue to show up at Storm off and on until start of Nov when the largies start to hunker down into a little deeper structure. I'm not a good winter fishermen, but plan to practice a bit more this year trying to get those weedless plastics in front of their faces.

Dcnv425
Angler

Post by Dcnv425 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 am

I will confirm there are smallies in storm lake. I've caught some in the past including flowing lake.

dea
Petty Officer

Post by dea » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:30 am

Interesting. I was in partial-attention mode when the fella asked me. I was answering him as I was unhooking and releasing the fish when I had just noticed the fish looked a little different than the pile of largies I caught before that. I didn't think - or wasn't paying enough attention to trigger me to look at the eyes.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Dcnv425 wrote:I will confirm there are smallies in storm lake. I've caught some in the past including flowing lake.

I'll have to keep that in mind about Flowing. We tend to stay at the county park a few times during the summer months since my wife's grandparents live in Snohomish. We've done pretty well with the largies,at least in terms of numbers and it keeps the kids excited but I'm surprised they allow pleasure boating on a lake of that size. We've learned to fish in the morning and late evening,allowing the pleasure boaters to have at it during the day.