The Anti-Pink Thread

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
countryboy87
Lieutenant

Re: The Anti-Pink Thread

Post by countryboy87 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 am

i have to say i agree and disagree. i love seeing the 1st timer catch that 1st ever salmon. perfect example happened last weekend. had a friend with his young daughter fishing i hooked up and instead of landing my ten billionth fish i let her reel it in. now im gonna break this down so anyone can understand.... if you have a problem about launches being busy then dont go to those launches. if you see garbage lining the banks grab a damn garbage bag and fill it up. i take one fishing everytime. if you see people violating gear rules give em a friendly reminder about what the rules are. if they blantantly refuse CALL FISH AND GAME and to simply fix it for you if you dont like pink salmon DONT FISH ANY SYSTEM THAT HAS THEM. that is the great thing about the pacific nw.. theres a trillion different lakes with anything from trout to muskie, theres south sound rivers with chinoook and summer run steelhead theres creeks with trout and even crawdads. guess what... pinks will be gone soon enough then u have about 20 months to be picky and not deal with this mess. now lets all quit bitchin and whining on a internet forum and go kill some fish... whatever it is we choose to go for.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:20 am

tnj8222 wrote:I'm not huge on eating any salmon at all. I do but not my favorite fish. .
i prefer it raw but I'm afraid to prepare my own sashimi.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:25 am

Any fishery that we get is a good one. Name calling dosent even come to play here. If you dont want to target pinks then dont. Pinks on trout gear are real fun. Pinks are great fresh fish giveaways to people that buy salmon from Safeway and Krogers.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:33 am

Dustin07 wrote:
natetreat wrote: The look on a 10 year old kids face when he's reeling in his 6th or 7th fish of the morning and his arms are burning but he won't hand off the rod to dad, that's why I love humpy season. .

or how about a 45 year old guy who LOOKS like a 10 year old kid catching his first salmon? :cheers:
Hell yea! That's the best part about my job. I was out with a couple last season that was so green they had trouble casting. I had them letting out a plug under a log along the bank. Of course her rod got slammed by a giant steelhead when she wasn't looking, ripped the rod out of her hand and started to drag it down stream. She actually screamed out loud she was so excited! Luckily her guy grabbed it for her before the rod ended up in the water, and she caught her first steelhead at 16 pounds. Later that day she and him had caught about 25 fish, 1 steelhead, 3 coho and a mess of pinks, and never had caught a fish in her life. That only happens during pink years, and these guys were fishermen for life after that.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:36 am

natetreat wrote:
Dustin07 wrote:
natetreat wrote: The look on a 10 year old kids face when he's reeling in his 6th or 7th fish of the morning and his arms are burning but he won't hand off the rod to dad, that's why I love humpy season. .

or how about a 45 year old guy who LOOKS like a 10 year old kid catching his first salmon? :cheers:
Hell yea! That's the best part about my job. I was out with a couple last season that was so green they had trouble casting. I had them letting out a plug under a log along the bank. Of course her rod got slammed by a giant steelhead when she wasn't looking, ripped the rod out of her hand and started to drag it down stream. She actually screamed out loud she was so excited! Luckily her guy grabbed it for her before the rod ended up in the water, and she caught her first steelhead at 16 pounds. Later that day she and him had caught about 25 fish, 1 steelhead, 3 coho and a mess of pinks, and never had caught a fish in her life. That only happens during pink years, and these guys were fishermen for life after that.
and I bet in 10 years they still will remember that time the steelie ripped the rod out of her hand! that's a story you tell on your death bed :salut: :nemo:

I believe we should all learn some of the basic "how to survive without a grocery store" skills, but look at how much fun it is for kids 1 to 100. just awesome. =D>

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 am

I know! That's what pink years are all about. Camping out on the bank of the Skagit plunking with a barbecue, hanging out with friends on the carbon and dodging bayliners in the lower snoho in a kayak. It's a circus, a zoo of people, but the fact is people pay good money to go to the circus, and everyone loves the elephants! As for eating, pinks are great. I eat and catch more fish than 95% of the folks on this board, all six species of salmon, steelhead, dollies etc. and I like pinks. Take it however you want, but that's the fact. If you don't like humpies, there are plenty of rivers to go to that don't get them, and they have awesome runs of kings steel and coho at the same time as pinks are here. I'll take a break from humpies myself when the Hump and Queets get good, so give me a call and we can take the Pavati out and catch some 50 pounders!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:16 am

natetreat wrote:, so give me a call and we can take the Pavati out and catch some 50 pounders!

I actually plan to later. I"d really like you to get me into some Steel!

BTW, my wife cooked up some salmon the other day and it was pretty good but I knew the flavor, I asked what kind it was and when she pulled out the safeway package, "Pink". :salut:

Kobe Beef may be best, but that doesn't mean other steaks aren't darn good.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 am

Almost everything is good if prepared properly.Ive eaten some doozies but "if it looks good eat it" as said by Andrew Zimmern.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:07 am

Ha! After a while of experimenting you get really good at cooking fish. I have come up with an excellent humpy recipe. Pine nuts, greens and truffle oil. Bake it and eat, it's sooooooo good. Smoked they have a delicate flavor, it's not overwhelming like sockeye. If you want the dark red you'll have to fish baker or load up on kokes.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 am

gfakkema, your signature reads:

"I got 99 problems... but a fish ain't one!"

I spose in this case, one fish is many of those 99 problems....lol!

Spose your glad Pinks are not a "every year" fish?

Of the Salmon species available to us, as far as eating goes. Pinks have the least flavor. Coho are better. Kings are the bomb!
Same comparison for fighting ability: Pinks on Salmon gear, with a flasher, are just okay. Coho not much better, throw in a few jumps, rarely a drag pulling run, do pull the line out of the release. Kings, play tug of war!

Now take the weak fighting fish, and lighten the gear. Pinks on trout gear, is close to a King on Salmon gear. Since I like catching more than eating. For that reason, I like pink years. The weather during pink years, has to be a major fish magnet.

Hate the extra boat launch traffic. Do not notice extra garbage on beaches or at the boat launches. So, that must be on the river banks where the added garbage is noticed?

Another note, on the salt I have caught pinks with pale red meat. And white meat ones. The white meat ones are pretty disgusting, even after smoking they are not appetizing to look at. People who do not fish, but enjoy eating "smoked fish". Gladly except that smoked up pinky.

I am not so sure Pinks are the problem. It might be the population of people nesting around you. Pinks are the scapegoat! Pinks bring the masses to one general location. For 6-8 weeks. Maybe scratch fishing from the calender, during that time period, every other year. Or, get creative in avoiding the crowds.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:33 am

I'm actually fond of pinks, as eating fish they're in my top fish. I enjoy the milder flavor that makes them more versatile when cooking. They make great smoked salmon ball, canned they are fantastic. I make a mean salmon burger too. Kings are my least favorite to eat. They are over rated IMO because they're more fun to catch. When you give some salmon side by side to non anglers they pick the pink over kings and coho more often than not. Half of the reason there is a stigma for pinks is because of anglers being elitist as far as I'm concerned

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:17 am

natetreat wrote:Half of the reason there is a stigma for pinks is because of anglers being elitist as far as I'm concerned
snow geese are like that in the midwest. they call them skycarp and some people shoot (unlimited limits) then stack the piles high. they taste like any other goose though and to me they are like eating steak (I even cook them like steak, rare, medium rare, with steak pepper on the grill), and there was a time when a Christmas Goose was considered pretty special.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 am

Admittedly, taste is of personal nature. As noted, is Nate's favorite eating salmon. When looking at the table fare from a more broad aspect. Such as the per lb purchase price a Pink commands at the super market. It is clearly "not" the preferred Salmon of the majority. But is by the minority. This is not a blemish for the Pink, just is. A red meat pink, freshly salt water caught, and BBQ cooked is not that bad. Probably as good or better than a Sockeye that has been in fresh water for any length of time.

I am not sure what the meaning of "elitist" is referring to? Is that anyone that disses the Pink Salmon?

As far as catching goes. I plan on fly fishing for them in the Salt, and continuing to catch them using lighter gear. Caught one, many years ago at the Hoodsport Hatchery. But could not properly play it out. Do to the "combat" style of fishery. Guys would not move once a fish was hooked. So, the fish had to be horsed behind the line of fishermen, through the open space you had occupied. Then horsed to the beach to keep the fish from tangling around the fishermen in front of it.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:57 am

MotoBoat wrote:Admittedly, taste is of personal nature. As noted, is Nate's favorite eating salmon. When looking at the table fare from a more broad aspect. Such as the per lb purchase price a Pink commands at the super market. It is clearly "not" the preferred Salmon of the majority. But is by the minority. This is not a blemish for the Pink, just is. A red meat pink, freshly salt water caught, and BBQ cooked is not that bad. Probably as good or better than a Sockeye that has been in fresh water for any length of time.

I am not sure what the meaning of "elitist" is referring to? Is that anyone that disses the Pink Salmon?

As far as catching goes. I plan on fly fishing for them in the Salt, and continuing to catch them using lighter gear. Caught one, many years ago at the Hoodsport Hatchery. But could not properly play it out. Do to the "combat" style of fishery. Guys would not move once a fish was hooked. So, the fish had to be horsed behind the line of fishermen, through the open space you had occupied. Then horsed to the beach to keep the fish from tangling around the fishermen in front of it.
Oh yea, no doubt taste is preferential and individual. Ass far as "elitist" maybe that's the wrong word. I don't mean to put any negative connotation in there. Pinks are numerous and easy to catch, they are milder and when humped up they don't eat well. Those are the fact. But any salmon that is spawning tastes like garbage. A red coho is just as nasty as a green humpy, and a brown king is even worse. They tend to turn faster than a coho, so the fact that there are a ton of dark fish in the fresh will lead a lot of folks to conclude that they're nasty.

It's like the economy as a hole. Once supply goes up, the price drops, and it no longer becomes a luxury, it becomes Dinty Moore beef stew. Which is DELICIOUS, but low class because it comes in a can for $.49. I love me some fried spam, sardines or hamburger helper. Give me my Kraft dinner and I'm happy as a clam. It's like lobster, check out this article -

http://www.psmag.com/business-economics ... ncy-59440/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they used to think it was only good for the servants. And even the servants protested if they got it too much. I guarantee you that if the pink numbers were as small as our steelhead runs, it would be a different story. There is a lot of fun to be had chasing pinks on a 5 weight, running pink bunnies in the salt! I love it! It's super fun.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:59 am

Dustin07 wrote:
natetreat wrote:Half of the reason there is a stigma for pinks is because of anglers being elitist as far as I'm concerned
snow geese are like that in the midwest. they call them skycarp and some people shoot (unlimited limits) then stack the piles high. they taste like any other goose though and to me they are like eating steak (I even cook them like steak, rare, medium rare, with steak pepper on the grill), and there was a time when a Christmas Goose was considered pretty special.
Exactly! It's like the guys that always make the long drive to eastern washington to get their deer. When there are tons of tasty elk right in our backyard. My wife loves her some west side duck, personally I find it nasty, and that's just it. Different strokes for different folks.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 pm

countryboy87 wrote:i have to say i agree and disagree. i love seeing the 1st timer catch that 1st ever salmon. perfect example happened last weekend. had a friend with his young daughter fishing i hooked up and instead of landing my ten billionth fish i let her reel it in. now im gonna break this down so anyone can understand.... if you have a problem about launches being busy then dont go to those launches. if you see garbage lining the banks grab a damn garbage bag and fill it up. i take one fishing everytime. if you see people violating gear rules give em a friendly reminder about what the rules are. if they blantantly refuse CALL FISH AND GAME and to simply fix it for you if you dont like pink salmon DONT FISH ANY SYSTEM THAT HAS THEM. that is the great thing about the pacific nw.. theres a trillion different lakes with anything from trout to muskie, theres south sound rivers with chinoook and summer run steelhead theres creeks with trout and even crawdads. guess what... pinks will be gone soon enough then u have about 20 months to be picky and not deal with this mess. now lets all quit bitchin and whining on a internet forum and go kill some fish... whatever it is we choose to go for.
its not my job the get into conflict with people who cant/wont follow the rules. Nor do I have the time clean up all the trash I come accross, I do pick up what I can carry out in my pack. All of the launch's are busy during pink season. I love to cat h fish and pink season is blast, it is sad that the rivers get abused through the season [flapper]

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 pm

fresh chrome pink rubbed down with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and garlic butter on the grill... damn fine eats to me! And now my big arse is hungry...

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I dont really think it matters what fish are running or what time of year it is. The Everett Coho derby brings out some winners when it comes to boat launching and I see it everywhere in fresh water lakes as well like Lake Stevens. Maybe get out and help instead of cuss them from the truck/car. When I go to the rivers or lakes I pack out trash even though it isnt mine. People need to drop the attitude "Its not my job". I like to pink fish and love to grill it up much better than trout I would have to say. I have taken family from Idaho salmon fishing for there first time including my Dad. Best times ever for them. I cant wait to take my 5yr old daughter for her first time this year. She has done great with Kokanee and cant wait to put her into some bigger fish. Even if there pink a salmon is a salmon. Teaching someone how to drift fish is easier during pink runs for there is more fish to get a feel for what a bite will feel like. Ive fished for steelhead at riter ponds and thats combat fishing as well summer or winter. The last time I fished there I watched a guy pull a gun over a fishing spot. Im for guns just not for stupid. Just saying theres combat fishing with other than pinks. I like Natetreats Idea what not to do during Pink years. DONT be a grump butt and lend a helping hand. Tight lines and happy humpy fishing.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:29 pm

"Its not my job" is completely correct. I shouldn't have to deal with peoples trash and no one else should either. Pick up after yourself, its that simple. Sure it helps to clean up after others but that gives them room to continue to ruin the rivers, lakes, ect. So rather then teaching people to pick up after others the focus should shift towards picking up after ones self. Seems like a better message to me?

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 am

fear_no_fish wrote:"Its not my job" is completely correct. I shouldn't have to deal with peoples trash and no one else should either. Pick up after yourself, its that simple. Sure it helps to clean up after others but that gives them room to continue to ruin the rivers, lakes, ect. So rather then teaching people to pick up after others the focus should shift towards picking up after ones self. Seems like a better message to me?
THANK YOU!