Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
king killer
Warrant Officer

Re: Skok

Post by king killer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 pm

bugmasta wrote:i fished the skok yesterday and there are fish being caught but i will never return to this river as the people fishing there are anything but accommodating. i can handle combat fishing, as i frequent the puke, but the skok is just a joke. some of the guys i stood in line with were pretty good, but for the most part the river is full of inconsiderate jerks.

it may have just been the section of the river we were trying to fish, but i can't say i will be interested in driving 2 hours again just to put up with a bunch of combat bullies. casting out of order and down river and then bitching about get tangled up is not what i am in for.

to those of you who enjoy fishing this river, would love to know where you go and why you love it so much. i had anything but a positive experience out there yesterday. i have no idea what the hole was called that we were fishing, but it was pretty much at the end of the campground and there was a large log sticking out of the far side of the river.

the natives were standing across the river from us snagging fish with their weighted hooks. they would just throw into the stack of fish and start ripping as hard as the could. literally site fishing with no regard to ethical fishing techniques. they would then just horse them up onto the bank and start beating the fish profusely. i am not talking 1-2 bonks to stun the fish, i am talking 10-15 whacks. watched one indian yank out 10 fish in less than 30 minutes.

so between the jerks in the river and watching the indians and their unsportsman like methods, i can't say i have any interest in this system.
Sorry about your experience, but this is a actually a very productive and not too crowded if you find certain spots. Just today me and Hunter hooked many fish with not many people around us, and the people who were fishing by us were cool guys !

donater
Warrant Officer

Post by donater » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm

bugmasta wrote:i fished the skok yesterday and there are fish being caught but i will never return to this river as the people fishing there are anything but accommodating. i can handle combat fishing, as i frequent the puke, but the skok is just a joke. some of the guys i stood in line with were pretty good, but for the most part the river is full of inconsiderate jerks.

it may have just been the section of the river we were trying to fish, but i can't say i will be interested in driving 2 hours again just to put up with a bunch of combat bullies. casting out of order and down river and then bitching about get tangled up is not what i am in for.

to those of you who enjoy fishing this river, would love to know where you go and why you love it so much. i had anything but a positive experience out there yesterday. i have no idea what the hole was called that we were fishing, but it was pretty much at the end of the campground and there was a large log sticking out of the far side of the river.

the natives were standing across the river from us snagging fish with their weighted hooks. they would just throw into the stack of fish and start ripping as hard as the could. literally site fishing with no regard to ethical fishing techniques. they would then just horse them up onto the bank and start beating the fish profusely. i am not talking 1-2 bonks to stun the fish, i am talking 10-15 whacks. watched one indian yank out 10 fish in less than 30 minutes.

so between the jerks in the river and watching the indians and their unsportsman like methods, i can't say i have any interest in this system.

the skok is always a joke. redneck snagger paradise

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:39 pm

I saw a Confederate flag flying there last year, at the clay banks at Hunter's Farm, next to the campers.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:54 am

donater wrote:

the skok is always a joke. redneck snagger paradise
If it's not your bag, it's not your bag. I love it, but I expect the flossers and the crowds. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a redneck. I grew up in the country, trucks, fish and busch lite. But it's an acquired taste, if you fish for solitude, you're going to want to stay away from the Skokomish.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 am

There is a huge difference between redneck and flat out disregard for anything or anyone around them.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 am

ResQ wrote:Is that the spot above te bridge during the week Brat? :) Lol I will be back to the Skok, but really disappointed in people today. [unsure]
8-[ maybe.... :-$ :-$ :-$
lmao conferderate flag haha wouldn't doubt there is always something funny going on at the skok. once I saw a dude hook a fish stringer with a fish on it, it was soooo funny!

TheChucklehead
Angler

Post by TheChucklehead » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 am

Brat Bonker wrote:
ResQ wrote:Is that the spot above te bridge during the week Brat? :) Lol I will be back to the Skok, but really disappointed in people today. [unsure]
8-[ maybe.... :-$ :-$ :-$
lmao conferderate flag haha wouldn't doubt there is always something funny going on at the skok. once I saw a dude hook a fish stringer with a fish on it, it was soooo funny!
Hahah I remember seeing that last year at the cedar hole! Super funny!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:40 am

ResQ wrote:There is a huge difference between redneck and flat out disregard for anything or anyone around them.
Hahaha, I guess. The line is always moving around, everyone jockeys for the spot. I always just get in wherever there is a spot. If you just elbow back into your spot, nobody is going to mind, they'll just scoot over a little bit. In my experience, it's the guys that go out there and are a little bit uneasy with combat fishing that get the feathers ruffled. Take everything with a grain of salt and the majority of folks will be cool. If someone slides up into my spot, I just get in between the guys that are there. It's not like any spot is better than the other one, the great thing about having a line of guys is that it keeps the fish moving up and down.

When you head out to combat areas like this, you're just going to have to expect flossers, snaggers and everyone in between, and when you show up with the assumption that it's going to be a madhouse and crazy it's no big deal. That's what makes these fisheries so fun for me, it's a free for all. There are going to be fish in front, behind and all over the place and it's just part of the game. The Skok, Minter, Nisqually, Barrier Hump hatchery all have the combat atmosphere, but there are tons of fish to go around. If one gets knocked off, there's another one waiting around the corner. The majority of fish that are foul hooked get thrown back, folks are really quite good about that there, in spite of what most people think. Everyone out there wants to be friends, just take everything in stride. If you don't enjoy the company of some of the folks you're fishing with, slide on down to the next hole to find some folks more your style. Most guys, myself included, have favorite spots that attract like minded folks. I like the cedar hole, the guardrail and the bridge, the guys that are there are chill. I stay away from the tidal area with the bobber guys, they tend to be more grumpy and territorial, just my experience. Honestly, I've never had any problems at all at the Skok, as long as you show up easy going and chill, bring a cooler of busch to go around (not when I'm working, of course) everyone's happy. There are quite a few places that are under fished as you get further upstream too, but I also find that those spots can attract the snagging crowd seeing as they are out of reach of the binoculars from the road. There are tons of fisheries that don't attract the crowds, and they are going on right now, so if you want to avoid them, hit the Wynoochee or the Satsop for summer run, the Cowlitz has pretty much zero pressure right now, even at blue creek. But with the amount of rivers with hatchery fish dwindling, and the amount of people fishing increasing, there are obviously going to be more crowds. Each time the WDFW cuts back on it's plants, like how they killed off the early winter run on the Cow, it moves more anglers into a smaller area. For the most part, if you want solitude and lonliness, you'll have to either drive a ways, or take up searun fishing in the unplanted areas. Or get a drift boat, or book a trip with me :-"

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:58 am

The reason the bobber guys are so territorial, is because they have little refuge from the snaggers. A good egg bite can be turned off pretty quick, by some knuckledragger ripping through the hole. I actually find fishing with fellow bait fisherman, to be more relaxing.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Skok is fun. I usually show up with enough family to take over a lil sec of river. Me and my cousins usually hooking up a lot. We get people talking in the line. Watch what they are doing. You see where they are casting. Man they are hooking up again crap they got doubles. Its fun. We flip crap expect it flipped back and enjoy the day. You got 5 sec to cast when its your turn. 2.5 if your friend or family. If you cast into known snags expect to get harassed. But again its all fun.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:I saw a Confederate flag flying there last year, at the clay banks at Hunter's Farm, next to the campers.

That's my Beltucky Buddy Tristan yeehaw.

But sorry to hear your guys bad experience. The hole youre talking about is im guessing at the Y where the river splits?

I fish at the hole with all the logs piled up next to the bank. I love it not just cause of the fishing but because of all the guys out there, we are all buddies and fish year round together, were like a family. That's my favorite thing about the river. We even camp out there together when its not fishing season.

But then again, im sorry to hear your guys experience wasn't well, but people post bad stuff about the skok all the time, I don't see why people go there then expect it to be a calm fishing hole.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:06 pm

also thought id add- 7 days, and 7 limits.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm

losaturn wrote:The reason the bobber guys are so territorial, is because they have little refuge from the snaggers. A good egg bite can be turned off pretty quick, by some knuckledragger ripping through the hole. I actually find fishing with fellow bait fisherman, to be more relaxing.
I really don't like the name calling of other fishermen. I've been called a snagger for drift fishing, and it's just a dumb idea. There is not really a bite on that river during the afternoon, at least not a bait bite. I've found the elitist "egg" fishermen to be the most crabby, rude, irritable and disrespectful people on the river. And there are more of them up north. Just today I had a guy start a fist fight with me over a rock at reiter. There were only 3 people there, and he comes at me.

He first called me a snagger because I was drift fishing. I can tell you for the most part, on the Skok, I'd rather fish with the rippers than the egg and bait guys. It's no fun. Every time there is a thread about "flossing" or "snagging" who are the ones calling fellow anglers "knuckledraggers"? Who are the folks getting physical because of tangles? It's the folks that go to a hatchery expecting to find lonely, secluded Field and Stream BS. You will NEVER have the river to yourself fishing hatchery brats. We have two runs of salmon of the caliber of the Skok. The Skok and the Samish. No where else do we have a large number of chinook in a readily bank accessible area. GET OVER IT.

Honestly, I am SO fed up with all the name calling, the drama over snagging, flossing, low holing, nymphing, swinging blah blah blah blah blah! I had to have a sit down with the sheriff today over this crap. And it's not the first time! I've been nothing but helpful on here, I give tips and tricks and teach people to fish, and the elitists on here are assaulting me on the river, trying to fight me, and giving me grief while I'm trying to run a business. I would rather fish with the line, a bunch of guys that are happy to be fishing with a bunch of guys than bait slingers. You want to sling bait? Go to the cowlitz and catch springers. They're still there! Drive to the OP, fish the nooch, satsop or any number of rivers. DON"T GO TO THE SKOK. Quit whining because you can't share. If you're so worried, bring a trash bag. And stay away from the humpies if you can't get along.

I don't back down. I'm fed up with this drama, on here, it's just a debate. But it's not just on here, folks read this, they get it in their head that baities are so much better and holier than dentists and then they go out and cause trouble. This stupid Field and Stream dream that steelheaders have of their ideal day on the water needs to stay in Alaska. Seriously, I'm tired of it. ARGH.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:04 pm

natetreat wrote:
losaturn wrote:The reason the bobber guys are so territorial, is because they have little refuge from the snaggers. A good egg bite can be turned off pretty quick, by some knuckledragger ripping through the hole. I actually find fishing with fellow bait fisherman, to be more relaxing.
I really don't like the name calling of other fishermen. I've been called a snagger for drift fishing, and it's just a dumb idea. There is not really a bite on that river during the afternoon, at least not a bait bite. I've found the elitist "egg" fishermen to be the most crabby, rude, irritable and disrespectful people on the river. And there are more of them up north. Just today I had a guy start a fist fight with me over a rock at reiter. There were only 3 people there, and he comes at me.

He first called me a snagger because I was drift fishing. I can tell you for the most part, on the Skok, I'd rather fish with the rippers than the egg and bait guys. It's no fun. Every time there is a thread about "flossing" or "snagging" who are the ones calling fellow anglers "knuckledraggers"? Who are the folks getting physical because of tangles? It's the folks that go to a hatchery expecting to find lonely, secluded Field and Stream BS. You will NEVER have the river to yourself fishing hatchery brats. We have two runs of salmon of the caliber of the Skok. The Skok and the Samish. No where else do we have a large number of chinook in a readily bank accessible area. GET OVER IT.

Honestly, I am SO fed up with all the name calling, the drama over snagging, flossing, low holing, nymphing, swinging blah blah blah blah blah! I had to have a sit down with the sheriff today over this crap. And it's not the first time! I've been nothing but helpful on here, I give tips and tricks and teach people to fish, and the elitists on here are assaulting me on the river, trying to fight me, and giving me grief while I'm trying to run a business. I would rather fish with the line, a bunch of guys that are happy to be fishing with a bunch of guys than bait slingers. You want to sling bait? Go to the cowlitz and catch springers. They're still there! Drive to the OP, fish the nooch, satsop or any number of rivers. DON"T GO TO THE SKOK. Quit whining because you can't share. If you're so worried, bring a trash bag. And stay away from the humpies if you can't get along.

I don't back down. I'm fed up with this drama, on here, it's just a debate. But it's not just on here, folks read this, they get it in their head that baities are so much better and holier than dentists and then they go out and cause trouble. This stupid Field and Stream dream that steelheaders have of their ideal day on the water needs to stay in Alaska. Seriously, I'm tired of it. ARGH.

You sir, are my hero.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:07 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:
natetreat wrote:

You sir, are my hero.
Sorry about that, I was really angry. I had to re-read that to see if I would regret anything I said. I don't.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Sorry about that, I was really angry. I had to re-read that to see if I would regret anything I said. I don't.[/quote]

I don't blame you. Someone needed to say something like this.

woady
Petty Officer

Post by woady » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:
Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:I saw a Confederate flag flying there last year, at the clay banks at Hunter's Farm, next to the campers.

But sorry to hear your guys bad experience. The hole youre talking about is im guessing at the Y where the river splits?

I fish at the hole with all the logs piled up next to the bank. I love it not just cause of the fishing but because of all the guys out there, we are all buddies and fish year round together, were like a family. That's my favorite thing about the river. We even camp out there together when its not fishing season. .
the people at that spot are cool. lots of joking around and hollering, took me a minute to figure out they were dropping king of the hill lines.

fishbait i'm going to hang out at that hole more, no need for waders :) Wish I could camp out.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Only prob with that spot is the illegal removal of fish from water to remove hooks. Also too much tangle from people fishing both sides of river. I floss. Its the way to go if you know how its done. Its not cast jerk cast jerk. Huge difference.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:44 am

woady wrote:
FishBaitThe2nd wrote:

I fish at the hole with all the logs piled up next to the bank. I love it not just cause of the fishing but because of all the guys out there, we are all buddies and fish year round together, were like a family. That's my favorite thing about the river. We even camp out there together when its not fishing season. .
the people at that spot are cool. lots of joking around and hollering, took me a minute to figure out they were dropping king of the hill lines.

fishbait i'm going to hang out at that hole more, no need for waders :) Wish I could camp out.
. Im not even camping, I just drive out every day only 30 minutes away.
Its a lot of fun, were rednecks and we just like to have a good time. Not hard to get along with us! Come on over, if you see me say hi, ill more than likely be wearing a cut off reflector shirt tucked in to my jeans, with a camo Remington hat

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:23 am

Wow! I don't expect rants like that from you Nate. You must of had a horrible day. Dont let it get under you skin. Take a deep breath and say, "gooz-fra-ba". Tight lines. [wink]