Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Skok

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:07 am

Or maybe I wasn't even at the Skok maybe I am talking about a cedar hole on another river, haha now I really have people confused.

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:42 am

You wouldn't be on the skok topic then lol.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:16 am

Touché haha

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Tribal enforcement are out trying to bully everyone into buying a permits for $30. They say you cant have any of your gear on land or walk to river without a permit.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Yah I have one it is $25. I want to know if you have one of those tribal permits is if you can use gill nets too or if we can drive on their land

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:12 pm

They are full of it. There aren't any permits needed to fish the Skok other than the standard licenses and catch card. As far as I know, they don't own the land or the waters. And we are entitled to HALF the fish that we paid for through purchasing licenses.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 pm

If you fish on the north side of the river you're on tribal land.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I just stayed in the water and they left me alone but everyone that walked to land to tie gear they told them they had to get permit.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:52 pm

Wouldn't the north side be the mouth? I can see how they can own land, but not the water.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Thats why they hit you up when your on land not in water .

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 am

i fished the skok yesterday and there are fish being caught but i will never return to this river as the people fishing there are anything but accommodating. i can handle combat fishing, as i frequent the puke, but the skok is just a joke. some of the guys i stood in line with were pretty good, but for the most part the river is full of inconsiderate jerks.

it may have just been the section of the river we were trying to fish, but i can't say i will be interested in driving 2 hours again just to put up with a bunch of combat bullies. casting out of order and down river and then bitching about get tangled up is not what i am in for.

to those of you who enjoy fishing this river, would love to know where you go and why you love it so much. i had anything but a positive experience out there yesterday. i have no idea what the hole was called that we were fishing, but it was pretty much at the end of the campground and there was a large log sticking out of the far side of the river.

the natives were standing across the river from us snagging fish with their weighted hooks. they would just throw into the stack of fish and start ripping as hard as the could. literally site fishing with no regard to ethical fishing techniques. they would then just horse them up onto the bank and start beating the fish profusely. i am not talking 1-2 bonks to stun the fish, i am talking 10-15 whacks. watched one indian yank out 10 fish in less than 30 minutes.

so between the jerks in the river and watching the indians and their unsportsman like methods, i can't say i have any interest in this system.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Today I had a very similar experience. Every time I would stop to re tie, 2-3 people would walk in like they own the place and start casting. Basically got pushed out of the same spot I had been standing in since 7 am and I was still standing there! My buddy and I just bailed and went to the puke where we actually were able to fish. I can honestly say that I understand how this fishery could be closed to sporties (if you call most of them that).

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:38 pm

@bugmasta, thats why I always carry, leaving an imprint through you waders will make them think twice.
never had a problem with other fisherman, they've been considerate thus far

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Why is a fish or someone cutting fishing line worth making it known you have a gun?

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Yep, fished the Skok for the first time last weekend. Place was packed with drunks, snaggers, line cutters, and litter. This river will be shut down sooner or later as goes with the Samish.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 pm

I watched a news coverage on it on YouTube this morning while waiting for my buddy, it was about fishermen pooping in the river to the point of contaminating the shellfish at the mouth. That was only in 2009. I just don't get it.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I normally have good experience where I fish but I have been fishing my spot since I was 8 years old so everyone knows me there but when you fish with the crowds that is normally happens

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Is that the spot above te bridge during the week Brat? :) Lol I will be back to the Skok, but really disappointed in people today. [unsure]

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Sad, sounds like the skookumchuck.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm

bugmasta wrote:i fished the skok yesterday and there are fish being caught but i will never return to this river as the people fishing there are anything but accommodating. i can handle combat fishing, as i frequent the puke, but the skok is just a joke. some of the guys i stood in line with were pretty good, but for the most part the river is full of inconsiderate jerks.

it may have just been the section of the river we were trying to fish, but i can't say i will be interested in driving 2 hours again just to put up with a bunch of combat bullies. casting out of order and down river and then bitching about get tangled up is not what i am in for.

to those of you who enjoy fishing this river, would love to know where you go and why you love it so much. i had anything but a positive experience out there yesterday. i have no idea what the hole was called that we were fishing, but it was pretty much at the end of the campground and there was a large log sticking out of the far side of the river.

the natives were standing across the river from us snagging fish with their weighted hooks. they would just throw into the stack of fish and start ripping as hard as the could. literally site fishing with no regard to ethical fishing techniques. they would then just horse them up onto the bank and start beating the fish profusely. i am not talking 1-2 bonks to stun the fish, i am talking 10-15 whacks. watched one indian yank out 10 fish in less than 30 minutes.

so between the jerks in the river and watching the indians and their unsportsman like methods, i can't say i have any interest in this system.
Yea, don't get me started on the natives! I haven't had a bad experience on the Skok, even fishing the ghetto holes up by the bridge. It's better to fish on the weekends, when the upper is open, it spreads everyone out so the holes aren't so packed. I always have a blast fishing there, and I meet new people all the time. I can see how it can be a mad house, and there may be the odd crazy, but in my experience I've always had a grand ol time.