Fall Salmon 2013

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spoonman
Captain

Re: Fall Salmon 2013

Post by spoonman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I don't know freak, seems like you're letting pride get in the way of making a lot of money. People love pinks and isn't that what its about?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm

bassplayer17 wrote:OK you fish the upper ill fish the lower... I love it too.... You ever fish next door the clear that's a hot little river too...
Hahaha, okay it's a deal. We'll work it out ahead of time to see who's where when. I love the clear, it's summer run is really fun. And don't forget the hatchery creek the salmon river! The whole system is so much fun.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:04 pm

spoonman wrote:I don't know freak, seems like you're letting pride get in the way of making a lot of money. People love pinks and isn't that what its about?
That's what I always thought...$$$.... Beside pound for pound, it's tough to find a harder fighter. I think they're a kick on summer gear.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Bodofish wrote:
spoonman wrote:I don't know freak, seems like you're letting pride get in the way of making a lot of money. People love pinks and isn't that what its about?
That's what I always thought...$$$.... Beside pound for pound, it's tough to find a harder fighter. I think they're a kick on summer gear.
Danny's not working this month, he's up on vacation in BC catching ocean kings. He'll be back when the kings show up in the Samish.

fish vacuum
Petty Officer

Post by fish vacuum » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm

People can be so funny sometimes.
If I took clients to the Samish, or the Cascade, or Fortson, I wouldn't turn my nose up at guiding for pinks.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 pm

fish vacuum wrote:People can be so funny sometimes.
If I took clients to the Samish, or the Cascade, or Fortson, I wouldn't turn my nose up at guiding for pinks.
Just stop. Danny smashes fish. If he doesn't want to get involved in the pink mess then that means he is slaying kings.

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:39 pm

+1 what prime time says. Danny is one of the most legit and best fisherman I know. If hes not fishing pinks its either because he rather go for kings .

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 am

A guys always gotta have a vacation. It's all about the days off!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:32 am

Danny knows some of the best BIG FISH spots on this side of the state. If i could be out catching multiple 20 pound kings all day on the Samish, or slam limits of silvers in under an hour on the Cascade, I wouldn't be twitching jigs for a 4 pound fish that's for sure. That guy is gonna be booked solid for the next few months. So when Danny hears about pinks, he quote's a great prophet "Aint nobody got time for dat!"

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:20 am

Briefly back from BC for a day or two before heading back! Haha dont worry pinks arent that bad, especially if theres nothing else to do. Although i gotta admit, i think i enjoy ripping on them more than i do fishing for them. Im truely lucky to have the opportunity to fish BC. And, as you said Zac, i aint got time for pinkies! I caught a 40 pound king yesterday with 5 pinks in his stomach!!! [wink]
Hope to see you all on the river in September!
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 am

Bodofish wrote:
Partly true yes, but I care about my clients having a great time and catching quality fish more than I care about making as much money as possible, so when people call about a pink trip, i always suggest waiting a few weeks for coho and kings instead!

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Fair enough, I'll have fun and then catch some fish later too.. :)

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Bodofish wrote:Fair enough, I'll have fun and then catch some fish later too.. :)
Perfect!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm

racfish wrote:Danny that was rude when you put all that blood on someone boat. You should be ashamed. Great video and a super fish. Danny youd better learn "Oh Canada"
I think ive got the first 2 lines memorized. What i need for real is a damn nexus pass. 2 hr border today

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Glad you are having a good time and appreciating it, Danny. In my area we are slogging it out with lowly pinks and silvers from the salt beaches. Having a blast. Fighting a 5lb pink or silver sans flasher or 4oz banana weight from the bank against a current, and trying to land it on light gear is damn fun fishing! Not as much skill and knowledge needed as other fisheries, but once they are on it's as good as or better than other fisheries I've experienced. I've run into a couple Skagit river guys already who caught their 1st salt pink from the bank. They were blown away by the whole experience.

Just made up another batch of pink salmon patties from the 5.5lb buck I got the other day...delicious!!!

That being said, my wife says catch more silvers. With 3 times as many as last year coming through I'm targeting them everyday.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 pm

wolff wrote:Glad you are having a good time and appreciating it, Danny. In my area we are slogging it out with lowly pinks and silvers from the salt beaches. Having a blast. Fighting a 5lb pink or silver sans flasher or 4oz banana weight from the bank against a current, and trying to land it on light gear is damn fun fishing! Not as much skill and knowledge needed as other fisheries, but once they are on it's as good as or better than other fisheries I've experienced. I've run into a couple Skagit river guys already who caught their 1st salt pink from the bank. They were blown away by the whole experience.

Just made up another batch of pink salmon patties from the 5.5lb buck I got the other day...delicious!!!

That being said, my wife says catch more silvers. With 3 times as many as last year coming through I'm targeting them everyday.
i think i may have to come down and try that with you this year!

Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Post by Cozmo4196 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm going to be guiding the Queets this year, for kings and native steel, it's going to be EPIC. My favorite river in the state by far. When I go on vacation, that's where I go!

Fish the Queets? How? Look at that net schedule. They're in 7 days a week. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/#queets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 pm

We'll see. They get by, hopefully the river will blow and eat their nets. That's the only reasons why there are still fish in it, is it's so unreliable in flows. If they aren't there, they aren't there, we fish somewhere else.

slupot
Petty Officer

Post by slupot » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:47 pm

I will fish for Pinks if I am unable to fish for something more exciting. Usually this time of year I am working 7 days a week anyways lol. One of my best times fishing was up in Sitka AK, already limited on Kings and Silvers, so we went to a river mouth and c&r'd Pinks on the fly until arm muscle fatigue stopped us, only one bonked for a potential grizzly bear distraction, (Which did work.)

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 am

I'm new to salmon fishing and caught my first salmon ever yesterday on the Puyallup River. When they get in the middle of the current, Pinks put up a decent fight (to me anyways). They were still silver with that pink band on the side, and when I filleted them, the meat came off in one nice piece. I don't think the meat was mushy. Fillets are soaking in brine and will hit the smoker this evening.

Would love to catch a silver or king...but pinks are fine by me. I realize you guys have way more experience and are more discerning...but as long as I'm out there catching salmon...I'm happy!
IMAG0164.jpg
IMAG0166.jpg