Skok

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Re: Skok

Post by kingfisher101 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Nice FB! Can't wait to head over there. Thanks for the reports guys :D

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:28 pm

FNG at river fishing here... How is it possible that every guy down the line has a bite on every cast so much they yank their rods back with some major force? Is this what they are referring to as "Flossing"? If so, it is pretty much snagging. I did not see one fish hooked in the mouth. All fish came in backwards hooked in the tail or sideways hooked in the belly. I was there at 0400 and fished two holes til 0830 when I left absolutely disgusted from all the unsportsman like conduct. The two holes I found this morning were full of drunks, litter bugs and snaggers. I am heading back tomorrow to a new spot in hopes to fish with some real fisher people. Oh, Didn't "hook" anything today but several were hooked by others. Any tips where to fish on a line of guys who don''t have a "missed bite" on every cast or is this just the whole river?

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:39 pm

fishindude wrote:FNG at river fishing here... How is it possible that every guy down the line has a bite on every cast so much they yank their rods back with some major force? Is this what they are referring to as "Flossing"? If so, it is pretty much snagging. I did not see one fish hooked in the mouth. All fish came in backwards hooked in the tail or sideways hooked in the belly. I was there at 0400 and fished two holes til 0830 when I left absolutely disgusted from all the unsportsman like conduct. The two holes I found this morning were full of drunks, litter bugs and snaggers. I am heading back tomorrow to a new spot in hopes to fish with some real fisher people. Oh, Didn't "hook" anything today but several were hooked by others. Any tips where to fish on a line of guys who don''t have a "missed bite" on every cast or is this just the whole river?
Almost all river fishing is like that but there is a reason to some of the snagging. Almost ever fish in the river's don't bite maybe they will bite out of aggression but other than that the only way is to floss them. So what these people do is once they feel a little tension on their line they give it a jerk and it might be on the body, tail, mouth, or any other place. You might find a couple of people using bobber and eggs which I find is the style other than doing the flossing. Most people that head there are careless which I find is disgusting. Don't expect them to always bite because they will not.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:09 pm

kingfisher101 wrote: Almost all river fishing is like that but there is a reason to some of the snagging. Almost every fish in the river's don't bite maybe they will bite out of aggression but other than that the only way is to floss them. Don't expect them to always bite because they will not.
Thats not true, saying that will only create more flossers. In most situations, if you are fishing eggs in a hole with a bunch of chinook and you actually know what your doing, you will get them to bite. Maybe not hook as many as a snagger but chinook are very good egg biters if you know what to do. Presentation, fresh correctly cured eggs are all very important. Very few days on the samish do i not get chinook to bite eggs amist a million snaggers. Dont put it in this guys head that river salmon usually dont bite cause thats not even close to true. Chinook love roe. Coho LOVE roe and hardware. Pinks eat everything. Chum love jig and shrimp. If you arent getting them to bite your either doing something wrong or theyre probably spooked as hell by a million skok snaggers [laugh]
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:14 pm

I was mainly taking about corky and yarn. The eggs I know that most fish will attack. Bobber and eggs is probably the best choice if you want to get your fish in the mouth. But yea if you want more information just talk to fishenfreak haha. I am not the best myself but I know some stuff.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:16 pm

kingfisher101 wrote:I was mainly taking about corky and yarn. The eggs I know that most fish will attack. Bobber and eggs is probably the best choice if you want to get your fish in the mouth. But yea if you want more information just talk to fishenfreak haha. I am not the best myself but I know some stuff.
Yea im just saying its prob not a good idea to tell people salmon dont bite cause that will just create more snaggers. And we dont want that!

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:30 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
kingfisher101 wrote:I was mainly taking about corky and yarn. The eggs I know that most fish will attack. Bobber and eggs is probably the best choice if you want to get your fish in the mouth. But yea if you want more information just talk to fishenfreak haha. I am not the best myself but I know some stuff.
Yea im just saying its prob not a good idea to tell people salmon dont bite cause that will just create more snaggers. And we dont want that!
Good point. I can see that happening.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Heading to the skok in less than 5 hours. First time...

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 pm

kingfisher101 wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:
Good point. I can see that happening.
like you said its already a pretty large problem

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:08 pm

The Skok was full of fish today! Spent last night in the kayak trolling the bay, and this morning playing with the chinook. It was great to see all of you out there!

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 pm

natetreat wrote:The Skok was full of fish today! Spent last night in the kayak trolling the bay, and this morning playing with the chinook. It was great to see all of you out there!
That's good to hear! [biggrin] Thanks for the report man! Every report gets me more and more excited :) Heading up there soon

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:16 am

Lots and lots of fish, and we even managed to get whole stretches of river to ourselves! There are some super secret skok spots that I fish that are AWESOME. This is Skok king number 1 of many!
Skok-King-August-3.jpg
Skok-King-August-3.jpg (186.71 KiB) Viewed 2891 times

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:23 am

Nice fish! You should shoot me a pm of where you fished. If you had the whole stretch to yourself then that's a good place.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am

If I told you, then it wouldn't be a secret, now would it? Hahaha!

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 am

natetreat wrote:If I told you, then it wouldn't be a secret, now would it? Hahaha!
I would be secret to you and I :tongue:

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 pm

natetreat wrote:If I told you, then it wouldn't be a secret, now would it? Hahaha!
how about I just ask king killer about the secret spot, hahaha jokes on you now [flapper]
yeah slayed em saturday at the minter creek slot done at 9am, today was a completely different story, minter slot only provided 1 brief hook up so I had to move around and ended up losing a ton inside the mouth and of course the one I did land was a native.
Went 8 for 30 in 10 hours of fishing keeping a 18lb mint chrome buck and a shading 14lb buck. my "clients" slayed em too, 1 got a 24lb and 18lb hens and another got a jack

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:24 pm

I limited, and got a harvester card limit, and then another for another harvest card. It was tougher fishing today. I got a 14 and an 9 pounder today. I think I have an idea of where Nate is fishing.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:28 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:I limited, and got a harvester card limit, and then another for another harvest card. It was tougher fishing today. I got a 14 and an 9 pounder today. I think I have an idea of where Nate is fishing.
No hawgs? I have seen more 20+lb kings caught this year than all previous years combined, like I said this is the year of big salmon too, wouldn't be surprised if a world record was caught this year.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:
FishBaitThe2nd wrote:I limited, and got a harvester card limit, and then another for another harvest card. It was tougher fishing today. I got a 14 and an 9 pounder today. I think I have an idea of where Nate is fishing.
No hawgs? I have seen more 20+lb kings caught this year than all previous years combined, like I said this is the year of big salmon too, wouldn't be surprised if a world record was caught this year.
Maybe state record, not world. But ya never know! And nope, only hawg was a nate. Go figure
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Maybe state record, the world record is pretty darn big. There are big fish out there every year, the hatcheries get to see them.

We'll get some big ones fishbait. Where are you finding all these designated harvesters? I've got to make friends with some of those folks so I can keep fishing! That's a good gig. I'msure you'll be there next time I'm down there, we should meet up.