Float set up

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
kbf1961
Petty Officer

Float set up

Post by kbf1961 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 am

I am wanting to get another spinning float set up....What would be a good sub 200.00 for steelhead

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Re: Float set up

Post by Mordalphus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:50 am

I have a 10'6" Okuma sst rod with shimano Sahara. Haven't had any problems with it, but I also haven't caught a steelhead on it yet!

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 am

calbelas in marysville has some L&G Wright (i got the name wrong i think) poles for $50 right now (normally $100) i have one for steelhead/coho and i love that pole. my buddy just got one for himself last week. i have have also had a lead in the same companies waders and they replaced them for free. since they stand by theere product i always try to buy from them.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:45 pm

I started out with a Okuma SST 10'6" float rod and a Plueger President. Worked great for about $150 total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 pm

SST is a great rod like everyone said, but i would suggest a Shimano Reel, like the Sahara or 80$, or the next step up for 100. Very reliable
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 pm

I dunno about that Shimano reel advice anymore Danny. I picked up a bunch of the Saharas, and they crapped out after 3 weeks of fishing hard. I replaced them with some of the Pflueger reels at the same price point, and the bails died, they got crunchy and couldn't stay out of reverse mode.

I bought a bunch of Tica Cambrias for 10 bucks a piece on sale at Ed's in Lynnwood, and guess what? They're still smooth, reeling great and the bail still closes automatically , even after fishing them hard for a month now. The drag leaves something to be desired, it's not as smooth as say your stradic, but it gets the fish to shore just fine.

I'm really starting to get irritated with Shimano, after the Curado G series garbage. Those reels are trash. The Sahara will cut your line on the bail, it grabs it and frays the line on the connecter area by the roller. I've lost a few fish to that. If you close the bail to reel down on the fish before setting the hook, half the time it won't grab the roller, and you set the hook, your line flies out, opening the bail half way. At this point, odds are you're still reeling down on the fish and it gives you a giant rats nest all over your reel. Either that or you don't even notice that you're line is fraying because of it and it just snapps for no reason.

Right now I'm at a loss, I'd like to be able to have a durable reel that will last forever and perform, but I haven't found one. Get a Tica, at 15-25 bucks even if it craps out, you'll be able to buy 5 or 6 of them before the price comes close to "nicer" reels.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:35 pm

As for rods, an SST is a great all around float rod. Although if I were really going to get a rod tailered to float fishing, I'd want a bait caster.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Ive had 4 saharas for over 4 years and they work like brand new, so i dunno. workin great for me and shimano has always been my number 1 for spinning reels, and abu garcia for bait caster

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Nate, what do you mean about the bail dying on the Pfluegers? I know I've had issues with them with casting, the motion of the cast would spin the reel enough to flip the bail mid cast and snap my line. I took the reel apart and took the little auto-engage pin out (not a big deal) and that solved my problem. You have to manually flip the bail, but I like it better that way anyway.

I've got 4 presidents of different sizes, the newest one being about 4 years old. Never had another issue with them.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Nate, what do you mean about the bail dying on the Pfluegers? I know I've had issues with them with casting, the motion of the cast would spin the reel enough to flip the bail mid cast and snap my line. I took the reel apart and took the little auto-engage pin out (not a big deal) and that solved my problem. You have to manually flip the bail, but I like it better that way anyway.

I've got 4 presidents of different sizes, the newest one being about 4 years old. Never had another issue with them.
The auto close function is the first thing to die on any spinning reel in my experience. Yea, it died, and some of my clients don't appreciate having to close the reel manually. They aren't the presidents, I can't remember what they're called. I picked up four of them for 50% off at cabela's.

My reels get a lot of bank rash, and dunks in the water as you can imagine. I'm in the market for something that can take a beating and keep going. At 15 bucks, the Ticas are winning right now. I just wish they could hold more line in the smaller sizes, I have to put braid on them to get a good amount. But for now, I'm steering clear of Shimano, I haven't been impressed with their ability to hold up over time and lots of use. It seems that the reel companies make toy reels at the bottom, and anything with longevity is super pricey. If I could, I'd swear off spinning reels forever and run BC for every rod. Something bulletproof like the old ambassadors.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 pm

natetreat wrote:As for rods, an SST is a great all around float rod. Although if I were really going to get a rod tailered to float fishing, I'd want a bait caster.
Hey Treaty no love for the CP? Whats up with that?

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Post by kbf1961 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Hell with it. I just bought the bullitt on a new Stradic and Ill go get the Lamiglass at BiMart tomorrow

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:30 am

jumpinjim wrote:
natetreat wrote:As for rods, an SST is a great all around float rod. Although if I were really going to get a rod tailered to float fishing, I'd want a bait caster.
Hey Treaty no love for the CP? Whats up with that?
Treaty? What's up with that? 8-[

I've never used a center pin. Functionally, a good smooth bait caster works better than a center pin for float fishing. Example: my quantum smoke lets the line off of the reel effortlessly, as smooth as a bait caster, can cast weights very light, and the 7:1 retrieve ratio makes for a quick and efficient fight. However, I cast with the magnetic breaks and spool completely loose, with the brake on, it will sacrifice the free spool and affect your drift.

However, I do pair it with a center pin rod. The TFO center pin is a perfect float fishing tool, as well as great for free drifting eggs, or casting jigs for twitching. When I'm bobber dogging, I prefer a 9'6" drift rod over a float rod, they have a faster action, which allows for greater sensitivity when you're feeling the bottom and the strike.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 am

Treatsie,

I won't say if you haven't tried it you shouldn't comment because someone could easily suggest a few things I have never tried as fowl as they might be. Stuff like Lunker Lotion on a Pink Hoochie, I'm a smelly jelly guy, I won't ever try anything else, but I won't say Smelly Jelly is the best either. But yea, I get where you are coming from, I don't exactly agree but that's cool too, I like the CP. If you like the TFO check out the Echo Pinner, that is a sweetheart!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:59 pm

kbf1961 wrote:Hell with it. I just bought the bullitt on a new Stradic and Ill go get the Lamiglass at BiMart tomorrow
GOOD call. Best reel out there IMO

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 pm

fishenfreak wrote:SST is a great rod like everyone said, but i would suggest a Shimano Reel, like the Sahara or 80$, or the next step up for 100. Very reliable
I've been really abusing my Shimano Sahara for about a year and a half now. Fits like a glove. Spends most of it's time on salt water. The bail clicks smoother than most. Drag is really nice. Casts nice with 10-12 lb.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:51 pm

fishenfreak wrote:SST is a great rod like everyone said, but i would suggest a Shimano Reel, like the Sahara or 80$, or the next step up for 100. Very reliable
+1