CohoFlies

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

CohoFlies

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:06 am

Will be heading to Neah Bay on a salmon trip for Labor Day and am curious if anyone has advice on pulling Coho flies? I have fished the area a bit but have always used squid/flasher on a downrigger, Coho killers, or cutplug herring. Found some pictures online and copied the fly pattern, just not sure how to use them. Thought I would troll fast enough to keep them on the surface? 4-5 MPH?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: CohoFlies

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am

Coho flys go back to my youth. 3 oz of weight herring dodger and a coho fly trolled about 10'down 20' behind the boat. Almost in the wake of your motor. Silvers use to slam them.I havent used one in years. Usually made from Polar bear or horse hair.

sjrose24
Petty Officer

Post by sjrose24 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 am

I've never trolled them before but when the tide is low I have had success wading out in shallow water using pink flys that imitate a shrimpy thing. Not sure if that helps in your case, but id definitely try to tie something with a weighted head, some pink and white hair with some silver tinsel to add a little flare..

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:11 am

Fish'em the same way you would a squid. I've used BucktaiL Flys for many years. They work for kings too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 am

thanks all for the info. Brother-in-law said they just used flies right on top, just behind the motor wash. No weight or anything and that they hammer the fly hard, sounds like a hoot!

trollingflies.com
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by trollingflies.com » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Re:Coho flies

You might take a look at the "Salmon Series" or "Deceiver" on my web site: http://www.trollingflies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Denis aka: trollingflies
http://trollingflies.com/default.html

My goal is to offer a quality fly at a reasonable price. You will be able to find flies at lower prices on other sites but if value is your standard I believe you will find high quality at a fair price.

Official Northwest Fishing Reports Sponsor

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:42 pm

I've never fished the flies on the top of the water but I know my dad and his friends have in Sekiu. We started fishing flies for salmon when we had a bunch that we brought over with other fishing gear from a store my grandpa used to own in Vermont. We've just trolled them like any other lure, on the downriggers behind a flasher and dodger and have caught kings and coho on them.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:51 am

Find baitfish up top with Salmon below them. Troll flys about 3-5' deep @3-4 mph. get ready for some air time!