Trolling With Flies?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishingFool
Captain

Trolling With Flies?

Post by FishingFool » Fri May 10, 2013 8:45 pm

I got a new light trolling setup. I typically troll with spinning lures or small spoons on leadcore. I catch some fish.

Anyways, I wanted another setup for the top water column. Will trolling with 10# mono and flies work? Looking at starter kits from Basspro.

This seem decent enough. I don't know much about all the different variety though. Like Nymps, streamers and whatever else there is.... :-s

Or should I save my money because the flies are too small to see when trolling?

spokey9
Captain

Re: Trolling With Flies?

Post by spokey9 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:07 am

Trolling flies is great way to catch fish when they don't want bigger presentations. Especially this time of year when the fish are hanging around the weedlines in shallower water or lakes like tanwax where the fish usually wont hit a traditional trolling rig.

The main difference is trolling speed, typically you want to go slow when dragging a fly. Use just enough weight to get the fly down, and i like really light line when fishing flies 4-6lb mono on spinning rod(make it a bit easier to get down without a bunch of weight) or a fly rod & reel loaded with an lighter sinking line. Olive & black bead head woolly buggers are my favorite, although any fly that's buggy with a lot a wiggle in it or a sculpin pattern will work too.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat May 11, 2013 7:26 am

I have had stellar fishing days using 6 or 8 pound test mono on a ultra light rod. With a swivel then 4 pound test leader to woolly buggers, woolly worms, or another fly. Some buggers were beaded and weighted.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... lid=63&t=1

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... lid=47&t=1
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Will 10# Sufix Elite be fine? That's what I have on my new reel right now. I could always add like 6# fluoro leader I guess. Will this made the fly sink? I thought you wanted the fly on the surface.

Just how fast do you troll? Is it more like a drifting with the wind?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat May 11, 2013 8:06 pm

FishingFool wrote:Will 10# Sufix Elite be fine? That's what I have on my new reel right now. I could always add like 6# fluoro leader I guess. Will this made the fly sink? I thought you wanted the fly on the surface.

Just how fast do you troll? Is it more like a drifting with the wind?
When I used dry flies you row...real slow because you don't want to swamp the fly.
Use your 10 pound and then the 6 fluorocarbon. I used a swivel most of the time (not for a dry fly) with 3-4 foot of leader to the woolly bugger, or bead head woolly bugger. With the electric, 5 speed, motor I would go 1 or 2. The slower you go the deeper it goes. I tied my buggers weighted (lead wire under the chenille). If you feel you need to go deeper, a very small split shot above the swivel. That may compensate for a fly without weight tied in.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

trollingflies.com
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by trollingflies.com » Sun May 19, 2013 7:12 am

Trolling with flies is a big topic. I have a web site devoted to the topic and flies. The two most important ingredients are the depth at which you fish and the movement t of the fly. Trout are selective about the depth with which they are searching for food, we have to figure that out and present our flies there. Second, you can not just drag a fly like a wet paper towel. To make the fly swim there are a couple of methods. The best is using a "Wiggle Fin Action Disc" ( video: http://trollingflies.com/actiondisc/actiondisc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and the second is a rod manipulation technique pioneered by Jay Fair (video: http://trollingflies.com/fair/fair.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).
I like to troll with a fly rod and sinking lines and long mono leaders. FLIES WORK!
Denis
http://trollingflies.com/default.html

My goal is to offer a quality fly at a reasonable price. You will be able to find flies at lower prices on other sites but if value is your standard I believe you will find high quality at a fair price.

Official Northwest Fishing Reports Sponsor

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:28 am

Hey,

it can be as simple or complex as you want. I fly fish using a "trolling" method almost every time I am in a lake, and there is no reason you can't simply use a light line, and slow speed to do the same. With a fly rod, I just cast out, and slowly kick my pontoon boat around the lake. With a boat and spinning gear, just do the same, except add a flouro leader, and troll real slow. I have always had great success with rainbows, and even kokanee doing this, with both set ups.

Any "wet" fly will work, which is a fly that sinks slowly.

Just experiment...you can't really go wrong.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:14 am

I wrote a book on it. I included my set-ups, trolling patterns, methods on breaking lakes down & more. Covered 38 different lakes from Whatcom County down to Clark County. I think you will find it very informative and help you get started in the right direction.

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am

that is great, what is it called?

I can't wait to get back out there and drag some flies. Had great luck with a white leech pattern on lone lake, whidbey early january.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 am

Had the pleasure of fishing a few weeks ago with Uncle Wes at Patterson. He really knows his stuff and was able to get this musky guy over some good trout. Certainly check out his book and he also has a FB page with plenty of info as well.
http://nwsportsmanmag.com/industry-news ... -wa-lakes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 am

Wow. trollingflies & Uncle Wes too? This thread is great! I guess I'll have to troll a fly or two @ Ross Lake next week...my only additional tip is that I use a drift sock under the boat to slow the trolling speed to below .5 mph when using the motor. Small sep's dodgers have worked for me too to get the fly to move more if desired.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Always wanted to work Ross Lake, just haven't made it yet. Enjoy.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:19 pm

I have seen somewhere people using wiggle discs in front of flies, anyone here have experience with them?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 pm

eat-sleep-fish wrote:I have seen somewhere people using wiggle discs in front of flies, anyone here have experience with them?
They definitely work as advertised. Do they put more fish in the boat than without one? I haven't done any tackle tests, but you would think it has to help, if fish like gyrating flies.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rusty
Petty Officer

Post by rusty » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:46 pm

I have trolled flies with the action disc and have had really good results. I still tip flies with a piece of worm. The wigglefin guys make a kit that has hooks, action discs, and different colored flies. It was money well spent.

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:53 am

Try it without a worm and see how many you can hook and release in a day. You can also be more selective in the size of trout you take home. After you have your first 50 fish day you will never use worms again. I troll at 1 to 1.5 mph using a lazy "S" pattern. Woolley Buggers have been my fly of choice for this style angling. Have never used the disc so I don't really have an opinion on that.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:21 am

In my opinion you don't need a worm. Unless it isn't the fly they want then it really is just a hook with a worm on it.

trollingflies.com
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by trollingflies.com » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:09 am

If you have not seen what an Action Disc can do to a fly here is a link to a You Tube video with under water shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FM_-X1ae0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://trollingflies.com/default.html

My goal is to offer a quality fly at a reasonable price. You will be able to find flies at lower prices on other sites but if value is your standard I believe you will find high quality at a fair price.

Official Northwest Fishing Reports Sponsor

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Funny that I just came across this post. I'm still trying to figure my home lake out and see what the trout want. Was still fishing last night with a bobber, and then a wooly bugger on about 6 feet of leader (4# mono). Was pretty slow, and then as soon as I went to move the boat to try a new spot, a rainbow jumped and took the fly. Unfortunately the hook didn't set on the way down and he spit it out, but it was good to see that they will go for this presentation.

Will be doing some more experiments for sure.