Wynoochee Drift

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kbf1961
Petty Officer

Wynoochee Drift

Post by kbf1961 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Im pretty new to drift fishing. How is the drift from 7400 bridge to White bridge

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Wynoochee Drift

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 pm

It's pretty straightforward. There is a boulder garden that can get dicey in lower water, but the rest of the way is smooth sailing and shouldn't give you much of a problem. The garden is a straight shot between some rocks, I go left and ride straight through. There are rollers in higher water that are fun, and two more to aim between at the bottom.

It's probably safer than white bridge to black creek in my opinion. Less wood, for one thing. It's long, and in low flows be prepared for a long day, lots of boon dogging water. Bobber dog the edges, right up under the trees. You'll lose a lot of gear if you're not careful. If in doubt, fish right.

Stay alert and keep your eye around the corner and you should be okay as long as you're confident on the oars.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Nate, is that the stretch we did the video on?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Yep.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Here ya go. Is the rock garden at the three minute mark? I can't remember if we got it on film or missed it.

Hey Nate - 4,912 views. [omg]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Wow, that's a lot of people that have seen me be awkward on camera. I still can't stand watching myself, I fast forward. That wasn't the rapids, I think it was on the approach though. You'll know when you come up on it, it's noisy. There are a couple of rocks in that section, then it islands out, right is a tiny side channel, left is the fun part.

All in all, it's an easy drift.

@KBF1961 - what are you drifting in, and what rivers have you been down before, I can give you a comparison.

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Post by kbf1961 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for the info. How long did it take ya? Do you remember what the flows where?

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Post by kbf1961 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 pm

natetreat wrote:Wow, that's a lot of people that have seen me be awkward on camera. I still can't stand watching myself, I fast forward. That wasn't the rapids, I think it was on the approach though. You'll know when you come up on it, it's noisy. There are a couple of rocks in that section, then it islands out, right is a tiny side channel, left is the fun part.

@KBF1961 - what are you drifting in, and what rivers have you been down before, I can give you a comparison.
HA ! 15' aluminum drift boat. First drift. In my defense though I have been running boats for many yrs. Im a tugboat captain.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:29 pm

I picked up my driftboat in march in Bremerton and drove straight to the wynoochee to fish and learn to row. Its an easy and safe river to learn to row on. Both drifts are easy in higher flows, and still relatively easy in low flows. When its low you can just get out if you need to. First drift i ever did in my boat was white bridge to black creek and did it with a breeze, second day i did 7400 to white bridge, little tougher but still pretty easy. I think we hooked like 17 fish in those two days as well.

Heres a video i made on the nooch as well!

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Post by kbf1961 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Great vid Thanks. Im going to be getting on that river pretty quick

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:34 am

I have been told that I should look at the Wynoochie to float my toon. I am looking to break in my toon and myself on a river as soon as baseball season is over. My plan is to hit a nice and easy river with other people around just in case I effe it up. I have absolutely no issues on lakes but I know rivers are a different matter all together. I was hesitant at first about trying the nooch, but watching Nate's videos helps some. Anybody thinking about floating it want some company? Would prefer to do this with some backup.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:08 pm

kbf1961 wrote:
natetreat wrote:Wow, that's a lot of people that have seen me be awkward on camera. I still can't stand watching myself, I fast forward. That wasn't the rapids, I think it was on the approach though. You'll know when you come up on it, it's noisy. There are a couple of rocks in that section, then it islands out, right is a tiny side channel, left is the fun part.

HA ! 15' aluminum drift boat. First drift. In my defense though I have been running boats for many yrs. Im a tugboat captain.
It depends on the flows how long it takes, when it's low there are some flat spots that will take forever. It's about 14 miles if I'm not mistaken, but you're boat should handle it just fine. The upper launch is 4x4 necessary, especially if it's muddy.

For your first drift, it's very reasonable, and before it gets anything close to technical you'll have 5 or so miles of rowing under your belt to get the hang of it. Another good beginner drift is to drift from barrier to Blue Creek on the Cowlitz. Not technical, no real hazards and it's also very fishy! If you'd like to get out and learn some of the drifts before you go down yourself, you can book a trip with me and I can show you the ropes. And if you'd like, give you some rowing lessons as well in my pavati.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Always remember, no matter how easy of a run you can always mess up or have something go wrong. Like losing your boat/gear/ect. or even worse.
There is a lot of people who go down in the sillest ways were no one ever should have just because they stopped paying attention thinking it would be a cake walk.

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Post by kbf1961 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:28 pm

How does the Humptulips compare? Would that be a better river to start on?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:30 pm

kbf1961 wrote:How does the Humptulips compare? Would that be a better river to start on?
Not until fish are there. The Hump is more technical, a lot more wood in the corners. I'd wait until fall to do that run, when there are kings in it. Everyone starts on the Wynoochee, bring someone that knows the river your first time out and you'll be fine.

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Post by kbf1961 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:57 pm

natetreat wrote:
kbf1961 wrote:How does the Humptulips compare? Would that be a better river to start on?
Not until fish are there. The Hump is more technical, a lot more wood in the corners. I'd wait until fall to do that run, when there are kings in it. Everyone starts on the Wynoochee, bring someone that knows the river your first time out and you'll be fine.

Anybody want to join me?

kieth stone
Petty Officer

Post by kieth stone » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:58 am

7400 gate may be closed. the timber company is going to shut down access here. they are concerned with the increase in traffic here.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 am

Yea I read the thread and saw the picture on WFF. Not a good sign. It's such a popular drift though, I'm finding it hard to believe that they'd close it completely.

kieth stone
Petty Officer

Post by kieth stone » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:03 pm

spoke with the company. they said they were concerned with increased traffic on their PRIVATE haul rd. tons of traffic equals tons of road damage equals tons of maintenance. also the sand shrimp containers and other just basic litter has not helped along with the tons of press and overall disrespect of the place. by winter next year the gate will close and increased haul traffic will begin stemming from increased logging on the far side of the river. since no one seems to ownor use a radio the liability and likelihood some wingnut towing a boat racing the rest of the circus to the put in will meet a log truck is high. company says its not worth it. great job out there to everyone that loved this access to death. :salut:

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:45 pm

I haven't seen that there has been a significant trash problem at the bridge. No more than most maintained WDFW access areas. I'm not saying that it's okay to litter, it's not, but it doesn't seem that significant. The roads on the other hand will see a lot of wear with the traffic that it gets on that put in.

This really closes down 14 miles of river to fishing. This is very bad. If we though that February was crowded last year, think about how crawded it will be when we can only drift black creek. I don't think we can really blame boaters, I'd blame the company for not wanting to deal with them. They don't have to let us use it, but it's a PIA that they won't now.