Deception Pass

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Big D

Re: Deception Pass

Post by Big D » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:29 pm

I cleaned up the thread.
Knock it off or you'll be wondering why you earned a suspension. You two know who I'm warning here.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:44 pm

DannyL wrote:I know I put this in the wrong section but I figured it would receive more replies here. Is anyone catching humpies yet at north and west beach? Was thinking of taking a run up there tomorrow if there's a chance at some hump action.
Fishing for "hump action" is illegal at this time at Deception Pass. August 1st...

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Dan Boone wrote:
wolff wrote:
DannyL wrote:Weird Wolff.. Passed it the other day and people are fishing
Is it weird that I quote the Regs??? Fishing for what?
Weird that you said it was closed and people were fishing.
Greenling

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Norm wrote:It is a little early to start getting excited about humpies. Got kings and sockeye to think about first. But if your really excited about mid july they will start to trickle in and mid august will be the time for easy limits at north beach. I'll be sticking to the skagit, half an hour drive is to much for me to bother with humpies
I think you meant to say ANY drive is too much to bother for humpies, LOL. Your right tho, springers till july 15 then baker lake are way ahead of the stupid panks
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Stupid pinks/silvers in salt area 6 and 8-1 are a little different than way up the Skagit. Totally different animal. Fine with me if you guys stay away. I'll take my limit of salt pinks and silvers rather than the same 30-40 miles up the Skagit.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Your right any drive is too much for humpies. I just like to go sit in the boat on the river and C&R till my arms about to fall off or im out of beer. I just wish the river was open again for sockeye, lots of fun last year and did not have to drive an hour in the middle of the night to get them. The things we do for fish.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 pm

I fish the lower river where the fish are fresh from the salt. Im not wasting gas going out to the salt unless its for a king

CRW
Petty Officer

Post by CRW » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 pm

DannyL wrote:Sockeye are already in the Skagit. Open to fish for them, but illigal to keep

Huh?? Where does it say that?? Salmon fishing doesn't even open until August 1st

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

It is open for trout and gamefish, so people are using that as an excuse to target sockeye. I went up last weekend to toss spoons for trout and saw about ten rigs parked off the road going up the south skagit hwy, talked to one guy that I recognized as a poacher and he said he caught a couple and that the day before the game wardens were watching him from the road then a warden boat pulled up and talked to him. He left after I had some words for him and his poaching activities.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm not poaching anything. I was legally fishing steelhead. Didn't wanna drive to cascade. If I get a sockeye I'd put it back.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
Norm wrote:It is a little early to start getting excited about humpies. Got kings and sockeye to think about first. But if your really excited about mid july they will start to trickle in and mid august will be the time for easy limits at north beach. I'll be sticking to the skagit, half an hour drive is to much for me to bother with humpies
I think you meant to say ANY drive is too much to bother for humpies, LOL. Your right tho, springers till july 15 then baker lake are way ahead of the stupid panks
Whatever you say, Danny. Pinks are AWESOME. I have to drive a half hour to get to any river. They're pint sized fighting machines when they're chrome, and they guarantee a good time. Plus, salt chrome they smoke up great. Just because pinks are the rivers version of bluegill doesn't mean I don't like me a fish fry.

But no, I'm not waiting on pins and needles for them. I'm having too much fun with the kings and steelhead in the Sky. I would like to be able to take guys out for sockeye in the skagit though. Dumb river fishery. The lake will be awesome though.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Im already seeing kings in rivers. Im not fishing for them yet cause its not legal, but theyre there.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Im not saying your poaching, im saying that a lot of people up there fishing are using it as a way to get sockeye. Just like the way they use it to get kings. Last year I hooked a 40lb king plunking for dollies and you should have seen how the other guys around me acted when I released that beast. Acted like they havent eaten in weeks.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Sure it's fun hooking into a dime bright sockeye when your fishing for steel, but rules are rules. I love fishing the links Nate! Not sure if that whatever you say was to me.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:38 pm

If I was not fishing the bay next week for kings I would be doing some C&R on some sockeye

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 am

I agree with wolf. This is a pretty pointless A** backwards thread. But just cause your new here doesnt mean you have to watch what you say. He has as much right to say what he wants as you do. As long as he isnt breaking the rules of course.
But with that being said if you hate pinks then your a snob and should move to texas and start bass fishing [flapper] [flapper] 100+ fish days, how can you hate on that? [drool]

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:17 am

100+ fish days sounds like chum and coho fishing in kitsap county.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

DannyL wrote:Wolff just stop. You come in here and start it by saying that. Your pretty new here, so don't ruffle to many feathers
The number of posts you have doesnt mean anything. Your posting about fishing something thats not even open yet till Aug 1. Plus you know your in the river section right? At least Wolff knows his correct regualations and has a valid point. I think its unethical to be fishing for something (for catch and release) thats not open under the impression that your fishing for another species. Since I'm not a game warden or pertend to be, I'll let the real game wardens decide that when they inspect your gear.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 pm

returnofthefish wrote:
DannyL wrote:Wolff just stop. You come in here and start it by saying that. Your pretty new here, so don't ruffle to many feathers
The number of posts you have doesnt mean anything. Your posting about fishing something thats not even open yet till Aug 1. Plus you know your in the river section right? At least Wolff knows his correct regualations and has a valid point. I think its unethical to be fishing for something (for catch and release) thats not open under the impression that your fishing for another species. Since I'm not a game warden or pertend to be, I'll let the real game wardens decide that when they inspect your gear.
I'm a local at Deception Pass and Whidbey. Some of the posts here about fishing out of season are disturbing. DannyL's original post and a few that followed are all about illegal fishing and how to get away with it.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 pm

I think it's time we move on.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".