Lake Chelan Jigging for Macks

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
3footvis
Warrant Officer

Lake Chelan Jigging for Macks

Post by 3footvis » Fri May 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Anyone have any pointers for jigging Mackinaw in Chelan? Not looking for any secret spots or anything. I've heard sucker meat works good to tip the jig with... This will be my first time going for Macks & too lazy to use the riggers. Plus...I don't think I have enough cable on them to get deep enough... [-o<

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Lake Chelan Jigging for Macks

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 25, 2013 6:06 am

3footvis wrote:Anyone have any pointers for jigging Mackinaw in Chelan? Not looking for any secret spots or anything. I've heard sucker meat works good to tip the jig with... This will be my first time going for Macks & too lazy to use the riggers. Plus...I don't think I have enough cable on them to get deep enough... [-o<
Good jigging rod, braid 20 lb, and hit it first thing in AM before the wind starts blowing. 2-4 oz jig depending on depth. Keep checking in with the bottom. Sea anchor to slow drift or back troll the wind. Don't jig too erratically. A slice of sucker meat would be a good choice.

I think there are a few videos on YouTube about jigging for lakers out there, or at least a couple articles. It's a successful technique plus gives you a shot at the burbot down on the bottom too.

Please post a fishing report, we'll be interested to read about your experience.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 am

so where would you jig ? isnt the bottom just loaded with trees and what not?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 25, 2013 7:09 am

Bottom is relatively snag free, sand/gravel

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks Mike maybe i can drag bodos arse up there since im still boatless.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Sat May 25, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks for the tips. I'll post a report when I get back. :)

TomD
Petty Officer

Post by TomD » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Look for some of my old posts... Jigging works well on Mack Bar, which is straight out from the Mill Bay Boat Ramp. Also if you look at the guide reports from Chelan, most of the areas they hit can also be jigged if the current and wind cooperate.

Put shrimp salt smelly jelly on your stuff...

Good luck!

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:04 am

No luck on the macks. Spent more time searching and messing around with the finder than fishing for them. Tried around the 25 mile creek area. Used 2-4oz. metal salmon jigs and also some double tail grubs with shrimp scent. Highlight of the trip was a nice wild cutthroat that was released.

TomD
Petty Officer

Post by TomD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 am

Wow... Sorry to hear that, though I am sure the water was nice and you had a good trip!!!

One thing to look for before you go back... If you can pick up a copy of Rick Graybill's Guide to fishing Lake Chelan... it's hard to find now as I don't think it is still in print, but Hooked on Toys in Wenatchee might have it... it has maps of the lower lake in it with spots that have produced lots of lakers and salmon...

I've never went as far up as 25 mile creek to find them...

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks for the tip. Already back on the west side though. I wanted to head down to the south end, but it just didn't work out with a small gas tank and the group of us camping. I think I'll stay at Chelan State Park next time since it is a little closer to the fishing grounds for macks & bass.