Sky opening day pics

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kzoo
Commodore

Re: Sky opening day pics

Post by kzoo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 am

Those kings are beautiful! Deserve catch of the day.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:42 am

kzoo wrote:Got my two at Reiter. Big crowds on both sides. Saw the bone heads on Reiter side before 6AM. They were slaying them, no gamewarden like always.

The guy next to me said talked to them and they said they were there overnight. I didn't notice them I got there at 5am and the line was wrapped around the corner. I have never seen the line up that big.
Attachments
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (38.54 KiB) Viewed 1927 times

kromekrusher
Petty Officer

Post by kromekrusher » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 am

fear_no_fish wrote:Okay so there were a few fish to be had, Wheres danny and nate?? How did you guys do?
Sounds like the pit put out a few fish this morning??
If there's one thing I know, it's that when Danny doesn't do well, that means he won't post a report. :-$ I will guess we will see some photos of spawned out steelhead soon! [thumbsup]

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:37 am

what happen to all the crowds down south? guess they went to skycomish :-k ImageImage
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 am

kromekrusher wrote:
fear_no_fish wrote:Okay so there were a few fish to be had, Wheres danny and nate?? How did you guys do?
If there's one thing I know, it's that when Danny doesn't do well, that means he won't post a report. :-$ I will guess we will see some photos of spawned out steelhead soon! [thumbsup]
Saw Danny's steel...he had a pig! No opening day fish KK hahaha

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:27 am

ripsomelip wrote:Ok. went to reiter at 430, of course it was lined up as usual with a ton of cars waitin, so i decided to go hit a spot i havent been in like YEARS, further downstream. Well. here it is. second of my hook spits today. Guess ill have to finish the job tommorow. arrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

mostly stoked on your filming effort!! [thumbsup] [thumbup] [thumbsup] [thumbup]

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Anyone wanna hit reiter with me tomorrow
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

jcn980
Petty Officer

Post by jcn980 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 pm

goodtimesfishing wrote:
ripsomelip wrote:Ok. went to reiter at 430, of course it was lined up as usual with a ton of cars waitin, so i decided to go hit a spot i havent been in like YEARS, further downstream. Well. here it is. second of my hook spits today. Guess ill have to finish the job tommorow. arrrrrrrrrrrrrg.
I don't want to come across harsh, just a piece of advice. Set your drag and leave it. Let your reel do it's job. There is the rare occasion when you might have to adjust it. However when I see people tighten and then loosen and then tighten and then loosen, the next thing I usually see is the line go slack.....fish gone.

Again I am only saying this in hopes to help, not to be an a****** and not trying to be over critical, but when the line gets tight and then extra loose and then tight and you add to that barbless hooks. Well you are going to lose fish. Also with your drag tightened down properly you will get a better hookset.

Why the barbless hook? I though freshwater was anti snagging and salt was barbless? Just want to make sure that I am not breaking any laws. Anti-snagging says nothing about barbless.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Check the regs, some fresh water rivers are requiring barbless hooks this year. The cowlitz is one for example.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:26 pm

I'll be leaving early morning tommorow to be in line. Big rock still the spot to be?
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Barbs ok on the sky, leaving for reiter riiiiiiiight........now [thumbsup]

Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Post by Cozmo4196 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Slow opener for us on the Sky but I had the most for I've had fishing in a long time. Got to take my cousin and a life long friend who have never fished a river prior to this.

I landed an 8lb steelie side drifting yarn and my buddy landed a 15 lb bright king drifting roe. We were running steelhead gear so he was in for one hell of a fight. The guys I took are already hooked and asking when we can get out on the water again. I'm happy to be the one that has helped spark the start of a life long passion. There's nothing better than getting out and chasing some fish with your best friends.

My friend with his king

Me and my steelie

The group of us

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Seems like reiters doing pretty well for steel?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:21 pm

I drifted Sultan to Monroe to scout it out. The action was not good at all. We launched before first light with about 300 other boats and pounded the water. I fished slow and methodically with plugs, bait divers, bobber dogging eggs and fresh sand shrimp, jigs, side drifting, pulling over at the good hole and hitting them hard. We had the same luck as 99% of other boaters. Zilch, nothing but suckers. The chinook are just not there in force yet. We saw one fish roll right under our boat as we were anchored up, and saw one fish come in at the boat launch. Side drifting seemed to be the ticket, unfortunately there are no backsies when you're in a drift boat. I just got in from another trip up on the Cascade, haven't had time to post a report. Sorry guys! But it sounds like steelhead in the upper stretches are where it's at, so that's where I'll be tomorrow. I'd be interested to see if the fishing was better down towards the confluence, because I may drift to Tualco, or down through into the Snoho later this week. But for now, I'm going to focus on steelhead on the upper drift, the lower fish are just moving through to get laid :-" Can you blame them? Congrats guys on the kings you managed to pull out, that is really an impressive feat!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 pm

jcn980 wrote:
goodtimesfishing wrote:
I don't want to come across harsh, just a piece of advice. Set your drag and leave it. Let your reel do it's job. There is the rare occasion when you might have to adjust it. However when I see people tighten and then loosen and then tighten and then loosen, the next thing I usually see is the line go slack.....fish gone.

Again I am only saying this in hopes to help, not to be an a****** and not trying to be over critical, but when the line gets tight and then extra loose and then tight and you add to that barbless hooks. Well you are going to lose fish. Also with your drag tightened down properly you will get a better hookset.

Why the barbless hook? I though freshwater was anti snagging and salt was barbless? Just want to make sure that I am not breaking any laws. Anti-snagging says nothing about barbless.

My apology on the barbed hook thing....I fish the stilly quite a bit and just tend to go barbless for the most part.

Still rather barbless or not same applies.....set your drag and let it do it's job.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:07 pm

wow nice fish guys, cascade was alright saturday where i was fishing, I lost a nice one and saw another 5-10 hook but then the action just died for the rest of the day. funny hearing all these people arriving at the river at 3am but going skunked. we were going up to our cabin the night before and was going passed the lil eddy around midnight and there were already 10 cars there haha, oh and the no trespassing signs are not there anymore. saw some roll out in the eddies and mouth of the cascade so they are out there. heard of nummerous kelt steelhead being released and heard of some poaching as well of over limit springers from the typical snaggers. really want to hook a steelhead with all these pics, maybe I should go to rieter haha

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Wow guys nice fish! Cant wait to get out!

slupot
Petty Officer

Post by slupot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:48 pm

That is some bright chromage Cozmo! I fished on the Sky at the crack of dawn, across the river from the wallace, My friend and I did not catch anything but seen a couple of the boats hook up. It was a good morning to be out though.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:03 pm

natetreat wrote:
I drifted Sultan to Monroe to scout it out. The action was not good at all. We launched before first light with about 300 other boats and pounded the water. I fished slow and methodically with plugs, bait divers, bobber dogging eggs and fresh sand shrimp, jigs, side drifting, pulling over at the good hole and hitting them hard. We had the same luck as 99% of other boaters. Zilch, nothing but suckers. The chinook are just not there in force yet. We saw one fish roll right under our boat as we were anchored up, and saw one fish come in at the boat launch. Side drifting seemed to be the ticket, unfortunately there are no backsies when you're in a drift boat. I just got in from another trip up on the Cascade, haven't had time to post a report. Sorry guys! But it sounds like steelhead in the upper stretches are where it's at, so that's where I'll be tomorrow. I'd be interested to see if the fishing was better down towards the confluence, because I may drift to Tualco, or down through into the Snoho later this week. But for now, I'm going to focus on steelhead on the upper drift, the lower fish are just moving through to get laid :-" Can you blame them? Congrats guys on the kings you managed to pull out, that is really an impressive feat!

I hear you on the report nate. This isnt winter, gotta get up at 2am to get to the river at first light, been super tired. Similar to the sky, the skagit has not seen springers in any numbers yet. A few here and there but the river is so low that they arent up in numbers yet, and from what i hear the cascade is nothing compared to last year. Anyway we did hammer on some steelhead, downriver winters and some fresh chrome summers. All wild fish. None under 10 lbs. i could tell ya where on the skagit, but id have to kill you then [biggrin] . I posted pics in another thread in the river forum.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:36 am

Two of us fished 6 hours with one stick-a- bite,and and one branch-a- bite. We were from Lewis to Ben Howard and saw nada. Asked a lot of folks if they caught. No one was admitting to catching. We got a late start and almost all parking areas were packed.The water was heavily silted. Better luck next week.