First time for Kokanee on Lake Chelan tomorrow 3/23

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crestliner14ss
Angler

First time for Kokanee on Lake Chelan tomorrow 3/23

Post by crestliner14ss » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 am

Well after moving to Wenathchee late last year I am finally going to give the Kokanee fishing a shot at Chelan. The fellas at Hook'd on Toys were more than helpful with getting me geared up (they saw sucker all over my face when I walked in...)
I have read a number of posts about areas to fish but they don't translate to someone who has never fished the lake. Can someone tell me in lay mans terms some spots to try? I will be launching at Mill Bay...if you see me on the water say hello...I will be in the fully camo'd boat (so you may not see me at first...hahaha).
Attachments
boat.JPG
boat.JPG (75.71 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

Big D

Re: First time for Kokanee on Lake Chelan tomorrow 3/23

Post by Big D » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am

Head directly across the lake and drop your gear about fifty yards out from the blue roofed condos down lake from the city park. You'll see lots of other fishing boats in the area. We hit the area all the time and usually pull limits quickly.
Don't forget the shoepeg corn...
Also, you can launch from the Chelan side of the lake at the city launch. As you drive into Chelan, follow the signs to the city launch keeping the lake out your drivers side window and you won't have to drive all the way up to Manson. The city launch is up by the dam. Pay close attention to the no wake zone because if you don't you'll end up with a ticket.
They watch it closely...
Two person limit
Silvers.jpg
Silvers.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 2042 times

crestliner14ss
Angler

Post by crestliner14ss » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks Big D...got the corn

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:55 pm

I heard they were deep, too. Also heard they were bigger than Big D's. Maybe it was a fish story.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 pm

gfakkema wrote:There was a recent koke report from Chelan. Pic showed many that looked to be decent size.
I talked with someone on the phone who said they got big ones deep, but I did not get to see pictures.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

crestliner14ss
Angler

Post by crestliner14ss » Thu May 30, 2013 12:36 pm

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. I was successful the second time out and we managed to boat 8 nice Kokes in about 3 hrs. All were off Rocky Point in between 60-90' of water. Lately the fish have moved up lake and they seem to be schooling up more. thanks for the advice

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:37 am

hey Crestliner,
my brother and I are headed over in a couple hours and I've never chased kokes on chelan before, only bass. I see things like Colyar ledge, rocky point, etc. I dont see those names pop up on a map though... where are they?

were you running your downrigger at 60-90ft?

TomD
Petty Officer

Post by TomD » Fri May 31, 2013 10:24 am

Colyar Ledge is a "new" landmark where the new state record laker was caught this year... It's above the Yacht Club...

Rocky Point is on the North shore between Chelan and Manson... just down lake from the Mill Bay Boat launch... when you get on the lake and look at the North shore, you'll see it...