Spokane people a question for you, any help would be appreciated

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
juicyjay504
Angler

Spokane people a question for you, any help would be appreciated

Post by juicyjay504 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:43 am

I have been looking at some online google maps and notice a lot of lakes I never knew about. Just a few that are in "Lamont,Wa" are Crooked Knee Lake, Sheep Lake and Folsom Lake. And then not far from there is Alkali Lake which is right by 4th of July. Anyone know if any of these lakes have fisheries or open water? Just curious any help would be appreciated.

Jay

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Spokane people a question for you, any help would be appreciated

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri May 11, 2007 6:14 am

Jay,
It's prudent to ask questions about lakes in that area. I drove a ways out of my way to check out a lake in that area (Sylvan if memory serves.) The lake had cattle crazing on the bottom. I guess it had been completely dried up for several years. It looked weird. There was an outhouse, maintained parking lot and a public access leading down to a flat grass field. Looked like a good place to launch a lawn mower.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:49 am

Jay,

Lotech's right, gather some info before making the drive. I've never heard of any of those lakes. Usually if it's not listed on WashLakes.com or the state stocking report then it's not worth the effort....if any fish then probably just sunfish and bullheads. Access would probably be an issue, too.

A few years ago I drove out to Pacific Lake, roughly an hour from Spokane, because I'd seen a stocking report from the previous year where 60,000 trout had been stocked. Found a large dry lake with boat launch and other facilities and a muddy puddle in the middle. The BLM guy who works that area told me that it had dried up over the past couple years.

Raff

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri May 11, 2007 3:34 pm

Most of the lakes you talked about are shallow, private, and I doubt that they have much if anything in them.

Still, there are some sleepers out there. If you feel you need to explore, than go for it, but check to see if the land is private first. I do have one "Secret" lake that I found that way.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon May 14, 2007 6:27 am

Come to think of it, Pacific Lake is where I was. See, my memory elludes me.

\
raffensg64 wrote:Jay,

Lotech's right, gather some info before making the drive. I've never heard of any of those lakes. Usually if it's not listed on WashLakes.com or the state stocking report then it's not worth the effort....if any fish then probably just sunfish and bullheads. Access would probably be an issue, too.

A few years ago I drove out to Pacific Lake, roughly an hour from Spokane, because I'd seen a stocking report from the previous year where 60,000 trout had been stocked. Found a large dry lake with boat launch and other facilities and a muddy puddle in the middle. The BLM guy who works that area told me that it had dried up over the past couple years.

Raff
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Mon May 14, 2007 11:28 am

Those lakes I beleive are on BLM land "Ensure Ranch" just south of Lamont. I have pheasant and duck hunted there. The lakes are about 200 acres and the BLM leases the land for cattle grazing. In the fall they are just huge watering holes. They don't look too deep I better there might be a few waterwater species in there but not worth the drive from Spokane in my opinion.

juicyjay504
Angler

Post by juicyjay504 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:35 am

Thanks for all the replies, anyone know anything about Alkali Lake it appears to be very close to 4th of July and seems similar in size

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue May 15, 2007 1:42 am

Also, keep in mind that Turnbull Game Reserve has land south of Cheney. If you are caught fishing in a duck pond on that land, you will be in Duck Soup!8-[

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Tue May 15, 2007 1:20 pm

i have duck hunted at Cow lake, which is to the southwest of 4th of July and is definitely big enough to hold fish, but i have no idea if it actually does. you can launch a boat there, but its pretty rough, just dirt and rocks down to the water.