Ling fishing Puget Sound

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jordanpaulmiller
Petty Officer

Re: Ling fishing Puget Sound

Post by jordanpaulmiller » Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 am

I've gone 3 for 3 so far. Also out fishing the guys that were using live bait in the same area. Those fish are Big, Mean, and Dumb! (If I can catch them, you know they're DUMB! haha) I caught mine on a lead head jig and another on a big shiny metal bar with a hook on it. By the time most people were done trying to catch live bait, I was filleting my catch. 10.5 Lbs of fillet off of the last one.
small.jpg
small.jpg (166.09 KiB) Viewed 1910 times

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Wed May 08, 2013 1:02 pm

what did that fish measure out at? It looks pretty long to be under 36"?

jordanpaulmiller
Petty Officer

Post by jordanpaulmiller » Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Was just under 36. Flattering angle. haha

FinChaserNW
Petty Officer

Post by FinChaserNW » Wed May 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Kudos for getting one just under 36". Very nice fish. We've gone 2 for 2. It's been a fun opener so far. I did the same as you and skipped the live bait. One on plastics and one on pipe jig. Can't ask for better weather than we've had. Happy Fishing.

Scott

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed May 08, 2013 7:12 pm

FinChaserNW wrote:Kudos for getting one just under 36". Very nice fish. We've gone 2 for 2. It's been a fun opener so far. I did the same as you and skipped the live bait. One on plastics and one on pipe jig. Can't ask for better weather than we've had. Happy Fishing.

Scott
Pipe jig? What is that? I mean to say, can you find that in a tackle store? Or are these old school, and best found in Granpa's tackle box or at a garage sale in Ballard?

Are they normally coated in chrome? Seem's to me I have seen one or more of those in Granpa's tackle box! How much do they weigh and how long are they?

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 pm

MotoBoat wrote:
FinChaserNW wrote:Kudos for getting one just under 36". Very nice fish. We've gone 2 for 2. It's been a fun opener so far. I did the same as you and skipped the live bait. One on plastics and one on pipe jig. Can't ask for better weather than we've had. Happy Fishing.

Scott
Pipe jig? What is that? I mean to say, can you find that in a tackle store? Or are these old school, and best found in Granpa's tackle box or at a garage sale in Ballard?

Are they normally coated in chrome? Seem's to me I have seen one or more of those in Granpa's tackle box! How much do they weigh and how long are they?
They're made out of copper pipe with lead poured into the bottom and I think cotter pins stuck through holes and treble hooks attached to those. Never used one though.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Went out Wed. the 8th for trip #5 and was able to get another. Makes it 5 for 5 now, and this time brought a buddy and got him on his first one of the year. Lost several before landing our 2 fish(1 each). He caught a 28 inch and mine was 26 1/2 inch. Interesting part of this trip was that while catching our bait, my buddy hooks into a salmon about 20-22 inch. He uses an ultra ultra light pole for catching the sand dabs. The light pole made for an interesting fight that was fun to watch as the salmon jumped several times. After several runs it finally snapped the light line but had it up to the boat 3 or 4 times. I plan on hitting the water again tomorrow morning...hope I can make it 6 for 6!
May 8th 2013 lingcod 005r.jpg
May 8th 2013 lingcod 005r.jpg (124.44 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 pm

i was out yesterday with my dad and his buddy, we caught a cab and missed a couple.
Probably was a black mouth your buddy hooked, i bet that was fun!
How deep are you catching the dabs at? Next time out we will probably stop and catch a couple. Seems they dont care to much for the jigs, we have never gone this long without a ling.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu May 09, 2013 7:39 pm

The dabs are getting easier to find with the warm weather we are having. I had to go to about 70ft to find them last week and know they seem to be abundent in about 20-30 feet of water. If are not hitting them move until you do and mark that spot or anchor and you will catch them fast, otherwise it can seem hard to catch the bait then the lings.

Your right it was a blackmouth and I was jealous to not be the one with it on my line....it was fun just to watch though. My buddy had his drag light so those first couple runs were awesome. As he tightened it up he ended up snapping his line. Very fun though.

I have yet to get a cab yet this year. I have seen several people fishing with jigs and see them catch lots of rockfish but yet to see any of them bring in a ling yet. I feel that the jigs most are using are WAY to small, if one is going to use a jig I would stick with something on the large size. The other thing I find is most people I see out there do not have there lines vertical??? If you are not able to keep your line vertical, you need more weight(goes back to the too small of jigs again). If the current is ripping....put more weight on and stay vertical! If you are not hitting bottom...put more weight on. When you hit bottom, quickly get off bottom. Just my 2 cents

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Thu May 09, 2013 8:03 pm

goodtimesfishing...great job on the lings!!! I got a couple last year(area 7), and the wife tasted one for the first time and has been asking ever since when she can have some more. Can't show her your posts..LOL

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 pm

goodtimesfishing wrote:The dabs are getting easier to find with the warm weather we are having. I had to go to about 70ft to find them last week and know they seem to be abundent in about 20-30 feet of water. If are not hitting them move until you do and mark that spot or anchor and you will catch them fast, otherwise it can seem hard to catch the bait then the lings.

Your right it was a blackmouth and I was jealous to not be the one with it on my line....it was fun just to watch though. My buddy had his drag light so those first couple runs were awesome. As he tightened it up he ended up snapping his line. Very fun though.

I have yet to get a cab yet this year. I have seen several people fishing with jigs and see them catch lots of rockfish but yet to see any of them bring in a ling yet. I feel that the jigs most are using are WAY to small, if one is going to use a jig I would stick with something on the large size. The other thing I find is most people I see out there do not have there lines vertical??? If you are not able to keep your line vertical, you need more weight(goes back to the too small of jigs again). If the current is ripping....put more weight on and stay vertical! If you are not hitting bottom...put more weight on. When you hit bottom, quickly get off bottom. Just my 2 cents
I am jealous and i wasnt there haha
we have no problem up in the san jauns catching them on our jigs or with angel in our lines. Just different bottom structure so im starting to think the jigs just arent what they want

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Nailed another today making it 6 for 6. Another 35 incher. Caught it in less then a minute of fishing. As soon as I dropped my line, it hit bottom, I reeled up about 10 feet and it was fish on......that fast!!! Great fighter and major thrasher when it got in the boat. Before I measured it, i was afraid it might have to go back but it squeeked in at 35 inches! :cheers: Buddy hooked and landed a 25 incher...but it had to go back.
May 10th 2013 lingcod 006r.jpg
May 10th 2013 lingcod 006r.jpg (116.76 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
May 10th 2013 lingcod 003r.jpg
May 10th 2013 lingcod 003r.jpg (134.88 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm

ahh, hopefully tomorrow morning i will get my chance!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Went out with 3 buddies and got our 4 lings up here out of bellingham today. 27 26.5 30 and 35 inchers on herring. Released 7 undersized as well and put a limit of tasty greenling in the box!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.2 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun May 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Way to go Danny!! Amazing how much bigger they get with every inch in length. I noticed that I double the weight of fillet out of a 35 inch vs. a 26-30 inch. Be good eating. =D>

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 am

Nice catch of multi species! Most definitely personal preference, but what eats better. A greenling, cabazon rockfish or Ling? Or give an order in which you prefer them. I caught various species of rockfish and lings down in California a few years back. The lings had a light "dirty" taste. When compared to the rockfish. Rockfish, hands down were the better eaters out of that batch of fish.

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:50 am

Cabezon is my all time favorite. Rockfish then ling. I wont keep greenlings anymore, they remind me of eating flounder.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 am

schu7498 wrote:Cabezon is my all time favorite. Rockfish then ling. I wont keep greenlings anymore, they remind me of eating flounder.
I have yet to try a Cabazon. Have heard they have a non white colored flesh?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 am

I like greenling the best, then lingcod, i havent eaten cabezon. Lings definetely dont have a slight dirty taste up here however! I just tried greenling for the first time last year and its amazing, light flakey, just delicious.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon May 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Have not eaten greenling myself but I bet it is good.
As for lingcod tasting dirty, sounds like someone didn't take care of their catch. Lingcod is some of the best tasting white fish there is. I prefer halibut but lingcod would be right up there. Any game rather fish or animal is going to taste like crap if you don't take care of your catch. Number 1 bleed your fish immediately!!! 2nd gut fish and then put on ice. Don't go fishing without ice unless you are just catch and releasing your fish.
Just my 2 cents!