PAY ATTENTION! LIVES ARE AT RISK!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: PAY ATTENTION! LIVES ARE AT RISK!

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 pm

I had seen that you had already blown off the incident as an isolated one, despite the brainless fool trolling and not watching, probably hammered too (one more violation). I hate to see anybody get any ideas about taking the law into their own hands, it turns out badly every time!

And a much needed belated welcome to WALakes! Lots o good stuff here. We love the details if you haven't figured that out yet..... [razz] So where are you stationed, what kind of fishing do you do most and would like to do? My son is stationed a Bangor without giving too much away, shshshshshshs....
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Yeah anything more than some harsh words would have been a bad idea. Well that and turning them in of course.

Haha Well thanks for the welcome! I am Navy however, I try to leave work at work and the only reasons it was brought up was beacuse Amx started it... (Good guy though no hate here)

I will say I am stationed At NAS Whidbey Island as an Instructor.

I fish for bass. That is my obsession.. I have been trying to find a washington state bass for a while now and have yet to get any but have been looking in all the wrong places. I dabble in fly fishing and all other kinds of fresh water fishing.

I have been using this site and the fishing reports for a while and will continue to. This is shaping up to be a good comunity and I am glad to finally be a part of it.. I figured I would stop being the creep guy in the back and contribute a little..

I fish for anything really but I like to eat what I catch. (unless its carp that I bowfish for, I have a strong hatred for the common carp [angry] )

And finally I am a vollenteer for Fishing Access Network based out of lower Whidbey Island. [thumbsup] http://fishingaccessnetwork.org/Home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A great group of guys tring to make a difference. They are just geting up and running but they will do great things.

And thats about it.. those good enough details... wanna know my favorite color... Or my dogs name.... I could go on! [woot]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Sure, all that's awesome! My son is Navy too but obviously he fly's in the other element, our Camano place is right under one of the flight lines so we see everybody coming and going. :) For bass stuff, I'm not a bass guy per se but I have caught a bunch over the years, never really liked them to eat. Lots of Bass clubs around and tourneys galore if that's your thing. Post a question about clubs and were to go in the Bass Forum and they'll go on for hours. Best of luck and thanks!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:51 pm

There have been other Navy guys posting here now and then, but they don't get on the web site too often. I've mentioned to them that they should find a spot to post a notice so other personnel who like fishing can get in touch with each other, and maybe even start a club of sorts so they can keep in touch. There are good lakes in that area of the coast/peninsula etc. Long lake is one but I don't remember any others. Long is the only one 'over there' that I've fished. South a ways is Duck Lake by Ocean Shores. Cambell of course I think some people have done good for Bass. Might even be a club over there someplace.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm

A couple web sites for Bass Fishing, look under 'clubs', there is a couple you could look into;

http://www.wabass.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.washington-state-bass-federation-nation.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Now you mentioned about your boat being older then some of us,remember one of this sites mods used a dugout when he was younger.Trailers were horse drawn. Right AMX? (not to mention names). Hahahaha. Yes he was a navy man on the old Ironclads. [flapper] :^o

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:21 pm

BEFORE the Ironclads. [flapper] [flapper]

And yes this smilie was made just for me by a guy in New Jersey. [laugh]

Tom.

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm

The traditional way to alert and signal other boats in situations like this is with a horn. Those loud little handheld air horns usually wake people up pretty good..... bigger boats like my 21' Skagit have built-in twin air horns, high/low......and lemme tell you, they WORK !

There wouldn't be a need for horns if everybody just paid attention ....but , like so many things in our society (think:driving a car) , paying attention is pretty low on some people's list of priorities !
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:11 pm

a handheld horn - I like that idea. My boat horn isn't that loud, and the backup whistle even less.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed May 01, 2013 6:11 am

I've thought about getting one of the hand held horns for my cataraft, thinking two fold - on the bigger rivers as a "hey! I'm here, don't run over me!" signal and in other cases a "Hey I'm stranded!" signal. Now it is back on my shopping list.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 01, 2013 6:31 am

Hand held horn, I haven't had one since my sailly boat days..... It always seemed to conjure up some "JackAss'ian stunts" I can remember replacing the air cartridge a couple times because it was used in rather inappropriate situations but I can say one thing for sure, they will get your attention like no other. [laugh] [laugh] I'd better go get a couple, I wonder if Costco has a 2 pack or better.........

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:13 am

HA I love the dino smilie. I've seen you use it before. [woot]

My Boat is a 60's something, the outboart is a 55 evenrude, and the trailer is a 50's something or older. So it might not be that old but its pretty old (young compared to AMX...haha) I got the boat out of someones back yard scrap pile for free,(few patches later it floats!)the trailer I found in pieces and put back together and the outboard was free I just had to get it running again. It runs now but doesn't like going slow.. It only really likes being at full trottle but that is only like 10mph so we are good. Whole fishing boat was i think a grand total of $200.. and most of that was for the deep cycle battery for the trolling motor that my parents gifted me..

Thanks for the bass links I will check them out. And I am not anti military or one of those guys who hates the Navy or anything I just don't take work home with me.. I can turn off my "Navy" where so many other guys in can't. I don't want to talk about work when I'm having a beer or out on the lake. I save that for work. No offence to anyone who is like that I will talk navy any time you want I just like to keep it at work mostly. (I'm saying this sitting at my work computer... :scratch: )

But yeah glad to meet all y'all and hope to have more interactions down the road. I don't know why more people don't get on here this place is packed with tons of info. and tons of people willing to give tip, tricks, and a few good jokes every now and again.. A lot better here than that guy at the lake who will tell you they are not biting on anything as he loads his limit into his truck. But thats a whole different discussion. [thumbsup]

I think I'm going to post a few threads in the near future about bowfishing and Fishing Access Network so plan on seeing me around. :salut:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 am

Nuttin wrong wid an old boat, if it floats, it's good. Some day I'd like to get a small 12 footer so I can fish the bass rich small lakes that don't allow gas motors. Getting closer, maybe next summer. 2 or 3 more things to upgrade on my current boat, and trailer.
Tom.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Just as an FYI on horns is I have a hand held buts good for a few blasts. I also carry a police type or gym teacher whistle. They are loud and they will get someones attention.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm

I keep my whistle in the pocket of my life vest. Along with a compass, which I used once on a FOGGY morning on Lake Washington, got right about where I was going too. [laugh]
Tom.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:07 am

I found a good horn at the local Walmart for 15 dollars that should "alert" anyone within a 5 mile radius.

I sounded it IN the walmart and pretty much everyone in there was pissed. Mission accomplished.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 03, 2013 8:09 am

Hahahahahaha Good one. :cheers: "Waking Up Wally World"

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:45 am

More like "top story today, multiple heart attacks at the local walmart... More at 11.."

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 am

Attachments
laughing hitting ground.gif
laughing hitting ground.gif (5.72 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
Tom.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 am

You know... I've said it before and I'll say it again... so much of boat safety is just having good manners and respecting the other boaters around you. two weeks ago we were jigging near the narrows and a bonehead flies through between us and one of the beams. dangerous, illegal I believe, and rude. waking us out as we are just sitting there drifting and jigging. He waves. I wave back, but with less fingers.

Last weekend cruising back from Bainbridge to Pt Defiance as the seas started roughening up I encounter two kayakers inbetween Seattle and Blake Island. They are small enough on the water that I dont even see them at times when the waves and wind kick up. I am always watching the water around me, and my depth sounder. I have an electric horn, air horn, whistle, and flares onboard, but when it comes to safety I am much more worried about potentially hurting someone else than getting into trouble myself. I wish others saw it that way. they might be more respectful on the water.