BBQ Grill recommendations

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
Augwen
Lieutenant

Re: BBQ Grill recommendations

Post by Augwen » Tue May 01, 2012 5:23 am

Congratulations on your choice!!! Now start experimenting. I see a Pork Butt in your future...keep your pellets dry and good smokin'!!!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 am

I love the versatility of my pellet grill.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue May 01, 2012 7:34 am

I am now looking for a new pellet smoker/bbq. Ive been using a Traeger for 4 years . Their servicing is poor. Theres some jerk in Ballard that called me a poacher who fixes them. Theres no place to have them serviced. Im looking for a new grill now too.Quad? Is there anywhere close by that services the Green Mountain Grills?
I use my Traeger alot. Ive had to change the hot rod 6 times in a few years. Thats my only gripe with Traegers is servicing.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 am

A poacher? As in almost boiling? Sounds like you're pretty close to a rolling boil to me. [razz] For outdoor cooking I like to really sear my steaks and start out really hot amd drop the temp. So far I haven't found any smoker grills that get hot enough to do a proper steak. So I just stick with a smoker and a BBQ. If I want smoke flavor I just smoke is on low for a little bit then toss it on the grill. :cheers:
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue May 01, 2012 8:55 am

I was trying to get a feel where this guys business was, He said right near the HC locks. I said "Oh where we fish for steelhead" He went off. So I just hung up the phone thinking he musnt be hurting for business.
Steaks???? Must be cooked on fire. Pellet anything will ruin a steak. I get the coals red hot. Drop Filet Mignon on hot grill. 6 minutes one side flip 6 minutes again. When I put my fork to it it Moooos . I love my steaks blood rare. Not pink but red. I buy my filts from Western Meats in Tumwater. They are bacon wrapped and good to go. They are 7 bucks a steak and worth the drive and every penny of that 7 bucks.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 am

yep yep yep, hot hot hot for the steaks, black on the outside blue in the middle. I'm good as long as they only fight back a little. The table is no place for a brawl.
Last edited by Bodofish on Wed May 02, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm

racfish wrote:I was trying to get a feel where this guys business was, He said right near the HC locks. I said "Oh where we fish for steelhead" He went off. So I just hung up the phone thinking he musnt be hurting for business.
Steaks???? Must be cooked on fire. Pellet anything will ruin a steak. I get the coals red hot. Drop Filet Mignon on hot grill. 6 minutes one side flip 6 minutes again. When I put my fork to it it Moooos . I love my steaks blood rare. Not pink but red. I buy my filts from Western Meats in Tumwater. They are bacon wrapped and good to go. They are 7 bucks a steak and worth the drive and every penny of that 7 bucks.
good old texas style nock the horns off, wipe his butt bring it on
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

Beeler5
Petty Officer

Post by Beeler5 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:01 pm

I have a huge Texas smoker I love. You can cook a whole hog in it. I hate gas BBQ just not the same.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 pm

I love my Texan Its at its perfect state for grilling or smoking ,well seasoned. They (Traeger) wont sell me a new hopper for it. They said fix it or get a new one. I might have to CL Traeger. Besides I have a pallet of pellets.

As a FYI to Traeger owners . You can get bags of any pellets from Cash N' Carry for 10 bucks a bag. Even the Grape was 10 bucks a bag.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 am

Okay Ive been convinced.The "Green Egg" is my next investment. What an awesome BBQ/smoker.They were doing demos yesterday at Coastal Farm store in Auburn.Out with the Traeger and in with the Egg.They are pricey but the quality of meats I tried yesterday makes it worth it.

saltycdog
Angler

Post by saltycdog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:14 am

One thing I can not stress enough is to brine your chickens and turkeys . :-$ I have some some AWSOME citrus brines that work great on birds. Treager Turkey is the best you will ever have.

If anyone e wants the citrus brine recipe let me know.

saltycdog
Angler

Post by saltycdog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:33 am

I go with my Weber for any grilling . Use a chimney to start the coals drink 2 beers and they are ready I have smoked pork buts on the Weber all day long and the flavor you simply can not beat. It takes a lot of attention but it's worth it . I do like the teager for large roasts and turkeys just for the simple fact that you set it and forget it . I use a wireless meat thermometer so I can work around the house while she smokes. I do not like the green mountain pellets massive amount of dust and I've had it burn out even, stick to bear mountain from cash and carry or teager brand pellets. For the upcoming 3 day weekend rub your 20 pound brisket , let rest 24 hours,start smoking at 9pm smoke till around 1pm the next day turn up the heat till it reaches 190` remove from smoker and let rest 2 hours wrapped in foil in a cooler cut across the grain

U must take 3 beanos before consuming !

saltycdog
Angler

Post by saltycdog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 am

racfish wrote:I am now looking for a new pellet smoker/bbq. Ive been using a Traeger for 4 years . Their servicing is poor. Theres some jerk in Ballard that called me a poacher who fixes them. Theres no place to have them serviced. Im looking for a new grill now too.Quad? Is there anywhere close by that services the Green Mountain Grills?
I use my Traeger alot. Ive had to change the hot rod 6 times in a few years. Thats my only gripe with Traegers is servicing.
I ha e had very good customer service with treager no problems at all

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 am

I own a traeger pellet grill and love it. Costco had a deal on them. I like it a ton better than a gas grill. But you do need electricity. You grill or smoke I have done full chickens, a turkey, pork roast and they come out very juicy. If you go with traeger get the digital temp control feature which I believe comes standard on all but the JR which I have and enjoy got it for 299$ then got the temp control unit. I have also heard great things about the Green egg and reading Rseas post made me very hungry. I think I will have to go visit his house for dinner. Well there is my 2 cents for what its worth. I have not done much smoking as of yet but with pinks coming I will be soon. Good luck

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 am

Idstud wrote:I own a traeger pellet grill and love it. Costco had a deal on them. I like it a ton better than a gas grill. But you do need electricity. You grill or smoke I have done full chickens, a turkey, pork roast and they come out very juicy. If you go with traeger get the digital temp control feature which I believe comes standard on all but the JR which I have and enjoy got it for 299$ then got the temp control unit. I have also heard great things about the Green egg and reading Rseas post made me very hungry. I think I will have to go visit his house for dinner. Well there is my 2 cents for what its worth. I have not done much smoking as of yet but with pinks coming I will be soon. Good luck
Traeger is made in Oregon and there customer service is great. They also e-mail recipes to try out if you sign up for it thats free.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 am

It's been year exactly since I started this thread, and since then I settled into a Green Mountain pellet grill. I am very happy with it for smoking purposes. Would I recommend it, sure. For smoking it is fine, of course it is kind of nice that you can grill on it as well, but it is a different experience when used for grilling.
The grill is like an electronic oven. For either smoking or grilling you set the desired temp. If you set it low, as in smoking temps, then YES, you are smoking. If you set it to 300-400 degrees or better, then you are using it as a grill, (more of a cooking with heat function) pretty much like baking your meat in your home oven.
It is not my preference to grill with the Green Mountain, as it is an indirect way of grilling. When I'm grilling I still use a standard Weber gas grill, it is direct quick heat right from the propane.
One nice function it has is that there is an alarm that goes off if your pellets are running low in the hopper. Last time I smoked in it, I was smoking something all night while sleeping. I had it set low temp, and figured that I had enough in the hopper to take me to the morning. Well... I woke up in the middle of the night. I heard what I thought was someone's car alarm. I layed there in bed kind of bitching about why can't this fool get up and shut his car alarm off.... after about 15 minutes it occured to me that I was the fool, and my smoker was begging for more pellets, LOL.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 am

No offense to the trager but it is not real smoked meats. The plus with those anyone can use it. I smoke in a vertical wood using mainly apple or cherry wood. Brisket, ribs, pork shoulders etc. all turn out great every time. Just takes a little practice. If you get the right smoker and the time this is the way to go!

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

quensimp
Angler

Post by quensimp » Sat May 04, 2013 10:13 am

I got a question for you grill pros out there. I'm new to this but I've recently gotten a little bit more time on my hands and I've started trying to bbq a lot more and I'm loving it! So my wife is allowing me to buy a new grill because she's getting into it too. anyways i'm not sure what to get and I've been looking around a lot. I found this website http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-the-best-bbq-grill and I'm loving the Weber Genesis E-330 model and i've read a lot of reviews and they all seem to be good. what do you guys think? any suggestions?

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 am

quensimp wrote:I got a question for you grill pros out there. I'm new to this but I've recently gotten a little bit more time on my hands and I've started trying to bbq a lot more and I'm loving it! So my wife is allowing me to buy a new grill because she's getting into it too. anyways i'm not sure what to get and I've been looking around a lot. I found this website http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-the-best-bbq-grill and I'm loving the Weber Genesis E-330 model and i've read a lot of reviews and they all seem to be good. what do you guys think? any suggestions?
My buddy has one and he really likes it. Nothing can replace a weber kettle. Not a gas grill fan. But if you get one that one is top of the line.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”