2 Rod Rule while Trolling

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Rosann G
Commander

RE:2 Rod Rule while Trolling

Post by Rosann G » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 pm

I agree with bigastrout about trolling 2 poles. I don't think we need it.
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:20 pm

some of you must be too young to remember that it used to be legal to "two rod" out in the Sound. I think it disappeared when the netters cleaned out all the bottom fish.

"Two rodding" is legal up in BC for trout if you are fishing in a boat by yourself.

I personally would like to be able to "two rod" here in WA as it would let me experiment with different lures and/or different depths.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:59 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:
I personally would like to be able to "two rod" here in WA as it would let me experiment with different lures and/or different depths.
Then plunkers would then want to have two rods to experiment with leader lengths and powerbait colors...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:16 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:
Then plunkers would then want to have two rods to experiment with leader lengths and powerbait colors...
And what's the problem with that? Does it matter how a person fishes?

One state I lived in allowed two rods and a separate handline. 3 hooks per outfit too.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:11 pm

Palmer wrote:Is anyone interested in a two rod rule for trolling?
So what we are talking about is TROLLING. Not sitting on the dock with one pole with a bobber and worm and one with a spinner. So if you do not have a boat this rule would be moot. I think it would be unfair to give the people who can afford a boat an advantage over those who can not...they already have an advantage.

Just my $.02
Lewis

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 pm

lskiles wrote:
Palmer wrote:Is anyone interested in a two rod rule for trolling?
So what we are talking about is TROLLING. I think it would be unfair to give the people who can afford a boat an advantage over those who can not...they already have an advantage.

Just my $.02
Lewis
Exactly. You give special permission to half of the fishermen but not to the bankies...
Can you imagine showing up to a lake and everyones fishing with two poles out there? Would be a disaster time come spring trout fishing...Bank access would be slimmed because of double the lines out there, and it would just be a MESS to have idiots with two rods off the shore and not to mention the guys out there trolling who are trying to get lines out or a fish in with two rods...

Then, and I wouldn't doubt this one bit, you'd have people imagining that two rods= double the limits.

Kamloops Chaser
Petty Officer

Post by Kamloops Chaser » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:09 am

[quote="Sam Kafelafish"]Imagine Lake Washington sockeye and some of the trouble it would cause out there...Idiots long lining four rods and four rods off the DR's would equal nightmare for any other boat who has to turn behind them...

LOL to be truthfull an Idiot would not be able to run 8 poles...I guess I'm just lucky to live and fish in a place that has no crowds

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:25 am

why don't a couple of you bankies pony up some money and buy a boat and then you will feel the urge to "two rod".

crappie007
Warrant Officer

Post by crappie007 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:42 am

Two rod trolling, its not for me, too much work.
I've only been on salmon charters and after reading
this thread it sounds like the two rod rule would
cause alot of grief during the salmon runs. However,
I would enjoy having one line overboard for perch while
jigging another line for crappie. Ofcourse limits laws
would still have to be followed.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:21 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:why don't a couple of you bankies pony up some money and buy a boat and then you will feel the urge to "two rod".
I do have a boat, and never have an urge to "two rod..." I catch enough fish on one rod. If you can't catch fish trolling, "pony up" and buy a fishfinder and some DR's for depth control and a way of finding where the fish are holding....

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:why don't a couple of you bankies pony up some money and buy a boat and then you will feel the urge to "two rod".
I do have a boat, and never have an urge to "two rod..." I catch enough fish on one rod. If you can't catch fish trolling, "pony up" and buy a fishfinder and some DR's for depth control and a way of finding where the fish are holding....
Oh... I've been known to catch a fish or two. Maybe I was lucky instead of good.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:33 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote: Oh... I've been known to catch a fish or two. Maybe I was lucky instead of good.
Nahhh don't second guess yourself. It's all skill. And I'm sure you can catch more then just a few fish...

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:15 pm

NOT TO BUMP INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD, BUT, SAM K. IS THERE EVER ANYTHING YOU AGREE WITH. IVE BEEN LOOKING OVER A BOATLOAD OF THREADS, AND YOU ARE NEGATIVE OR DISAGREE 90% OF THE TIME. STATE YOUR OPINION AND THAT IS ALL YOU GET. STRIKING UP A BACK AND FORTH AGRUEMENT ON SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD IS CHILDISH.

now my opinion on the 2-rod rule. ive fished 2-rods in idaho, and it was a benefit to locate fish, and i harvest 90% of the fish i catch, due to being a single dad (save grocery $$), ive never gone over my limit. alot has been said about the sockeye fishery, and i can honestly say, the wf&g would never allow it for a special "rare" fishery. its going to be good for some, not so good for others, this is THE GOOD OL' U.S.A., afterall.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:20 pm

Dilbert told me not to "bait" you about fishing. I do have a lund with a pair of electrics on it and a Lowrance X-25 fishfinder. I like to experiment when trolling so I usually get the other person to do something different until we find the "secret" for catching fish. It's usually not what the majority of people are doing, either.

I have some good methods on catching eastern WA trout trolling rapalas on downriggers.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:24 pm

michaelunbewust wrote:NOT TO BUMP INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD, BUT, SAM K. IS THERE EVER ANYTHING YOU AGREE WITH. IVE BEEN LOOKING OVER A BOATLOAD OF THREADS, AND YOU ARE NEGATIVE OR DISAGREE 90% OF THE TIME. STATE YOUR OPINION AND THAT IS ALL YOU GET. STRIKING UP A BACK AND FORTH AGRUEMENT ON SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD IS CHILDISH.
The WHOLE IDEA OF THIS THREAD WAS TO ASK FELLOW WL.COM MEMBERS WHAT THEY THOUGHT OF A 2 ROD RULE. I disagreed with that and this is my opinion. Opinions are everyones own personal thought. There's no problem with me giving my personal opinions is there?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:24 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I have some good methods on catching eastern WA trout trolling rapalas on downriggers.
Big mackinaw???

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 pm

I meant rainbows. Rapalas get the bigger ones to bite.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:31 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I meant rainbows. Rapalas get the bigger ones to bite.
Agreed. I just figured with a boat like yours you might be into fishing big lakes like Chelan and some walleye fishing over at Banks or Potholes...
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:35 pm

Just throwing my 2 cents in..... but I've really got to wonder how there is the man power to enforce this one. I can't tell you how many times when I go fishing I see people doing things illegal within the waters they're fishing. Mostly I mean not obeying "Selective gear fishing" rules from those type of waters, i.e. Ratllesnake lake. If it is that hard just to have the manpower to make places like Rattlesnake a "Daily drive-by" for the law enforcement people, then I can't imagine having enough enforcement to ask everybody to show their (double dipping) stamp.
I kind of feel like I'm on a soap box...... but when fishing is something that means SOOOO much to me, I REALLY get ticked off with people who don't respect the rules. Talking to you guys is like preaching to the choir I realize. Most people who live without regard probably don't frequent a site like this.
I am throwing a smiley face on this.... because I really am a happy guy! :-)
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:59 pm

quadradomus wrote:...
I agree with you 100%, there is entirely too many anglers and not enough FGO's to be able to enforce/ensure the legal use of multiple rods.

It is much easier to identify those illegally fishing with multiple rods, simply by just driving by, or observing with a pair of binos or spotting scope and seeing only one rod...or in some cases more than one.

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865