Gardening Season is Here

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: Gardening Season is Here

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Do any of you fellers had luck with growing plants from seeds saved from purchased fruit? Like, roma tomatoes, cantelope, honey dew melon, large bell peppers as well as the mini variety? Or are all your seeds purchased?

I need help with pumpkin plants. First time ever growing that plant was last year. Started to late, August I think. Then, had no idea there is a male and female flower needing pollination. Anyway, I now know what each sex of pumpkin flower looks like. That I need to start those plants way earlier. And I get to pollinate when both flowers are mature at the same time.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 pm

MotoBoat wrote:Do any of you fellers had luck with growing plants from seeds saved from purchased fruit? Like, roma tomatoes, cantelope, honey dew melon, large bell peppers as well as the mini variety? Or are all your seeds purchased?
I think some seeds will take, but most are sterile hybrids nowdays. I wouldn't chance it, but I know that you can grow trees from some tree fruits, such as peaches. I remember reading an article about that in some magazine.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Most fresh tom seeds will pop. Did that last year. Getting peas going tomorrow.

afk
Petty Officer

Post by afk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 am

MotoBoat, unless you know the variety or source of the fruit or vegetable in question, chances are it is a hybrid. That being said, chances are 1 in 1000 the strain will remain true! But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you have the garden space, give it a try!
If you know the seed came from an heirloom or open pollinated fruit or veggie you'll be in good shape.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Only seeds I find that sprout are pumpkin,squashes,and avocados. Every seed should sprout but not usually bear fruit. Every year I plant Sweet 100's and they sprout from year to year just off what falls down. I prefer to use Territorial Seeds out of the Northwest made for northwest gardening. My peas are about 1" tall now,second row just starting to show. This year Im using a pea innocculent. We'll see how much better theyll do. This weekend inbetween fishing will be Turnips,radishes and onions. Good luck all.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Whipped out the wife's b-day gift and churned her Veggie garden with it. Oh, by the way. The gift was a pawn shop purchased tiller. She was thrilled when she saw it. Even more thrilled to see it in action.

So, it is not to early to start planting seeds? Is speculation of whenever the last freeze occurs, when it is time to plant? Last year was her first veggie garden, and planting of nursery bought plants started in July, i think!

What do you plant from boughten plant starts, and what is planted as a seed. Seed seams like a way more reasonable way to go.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 pm

I bought a Mantis tiller back in 2001. What a wonderful tool that is. To my suprise it just keeps working year after year. Its a much smaller tiller toi be able to reach tight areas. As if its not enough my great nephew called me to help him plant a garden at his house.So now Im split between their yard and mine.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 pm

racfish wrote:I bought a Mantis tiller back in 2001. What a wonderful tool that is. To my suprise it just keeps working year after year. Its a much smaller tiller toi be able to reach tight areas. As if its not enough my great nephew called me to help him plant a garden at his house.So now Im split between their yard and mine.
I was leaning toward a Mantis or Troy built cultivator after a exhaustive, fact finding mission. Learned from that search, about tillers, and cultivators. One with and without wheels. Gas vs electric. I have always leaned toward gas powered yard equipment. Until reading the reviews, and there a a lot to read. To damn many! Next, I looked for a Mantis or Troy built dealer. Closest to Shoreline was Monroe! I'm not driving to Monroe, just to look at a cultivator. On a walk, I happened by a Lightly used, electric Troy built. I was pleasantly surprised to see how highly it was rated, and how dang popular they were with gardeners. Took a chance, and purchased it for a song!

Wow! For a small tool, the little thing does not come close to stopping the tines during use. Spits out large potato sized rocks. Bounces off the big ones. Pretty happy with it. Was on a walk, when I heard the sound of a chainsaw. As I got closer, I could see it was a Mantis churnin up the soil. Doing a good job, although a bit on the noisy side compared to the electric.

Anyway, it sounds like. If I grow the plant from a packaged seed. I could use a seed from the fruit or veggie produced from that plant, to produce another fruit or vegetable bearing plant? It's when fruit is purchased, those seeds are likely hybrid, and those plants rarely bare fruit?

I am so fed up with tasteless, store bought tomatoes. The one exception is the Roma. With the garden grown, pesticides aren't used, and hybrid crap is not a worry. Taste is fresh, and..........Mmmm good!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Thats what home gardening is all about in my opinion. Its not cheaper in a long run. What makes home gardening so rewarding is cutting a fresh grown tomatoe and it smells like a tomatoe. Cukes the same thing. I can buy most veggies from Yakima way cheaper but the flavor lacks compared to what I grow on my own. Seeing my lil nephew pick fresh cukes and eating them is a reward on its own. I grow alot of onions cukes and tomatoes along with parsley. Those few ingredients make a Mediterranean salad. Olive oil and lemon juice put in and you get a thirst quenching salad. Try it later in the summer. Even the few corn that I grow. Its so sweet its like candy. Youre right about Romas. I love them. I dont get late evening sun so growing beefstakes for me is a waste. I use those for fried green tomatoes.Romas in general are a great tomatoe full of flavor.
I was worried about the electric tiller in the beginning. I was worried about blowing the breakers with every rock. Im gonna look into one next time.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:24 pm

I've got a little Mantis and I wouldn't give it up for anything. It's a vicious little beast and it's a one hander unless you have the throttle pinned. With my bad back it's even doable.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Bodofish wrote:I've got a little Mantis and I wouldn't give it up for anything. It's a vicious little beast and it's a one hander unless you have the throttle pinned. With my bad back it's even doable.
I hear ya. If I happened across a gas cultivator instead of the electric. I would have bought it. Either would have been fine, and would likely have a positive review for either.

But, by chance it I happened across a electric. The reviews I read were positive for most models. The one exception was the gas powered models with no wheels, for depth control. Also, carb replacement, and carb problems due to the ethanol gas.

Having a cord to deal with is not the easiest, but after a short time that becomes second nature. After all your back and forth in a organized, compact, usually square area. It's not like a weed whacker, where your all over the front and back lawn. Covering the perimeter of lots of ground. That I would hate with a corded model.

I do appreciate not having to wear a ear protection when running the elec cultivator. Can clearly hear the radio while running it. Real damn quiet, and power full. Another member on this site. Saw the little red garden tilling impliment, and remarked "hey, that is the exact one I rent every year". Work good I asked? Member remarked "yea, does just fine!"

Feel like I am doing a small step toward cleaning up my carbon footprint.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Not much of a carbon footprint when I might burn a qt of mix in a good year. I thought no wheels might be troublesome but the darn thing is so light I just pick it up by the little handle behind the motor and it's good to go. For the cold start I just rest it across my knee and give a few tugs. I don't worry much about the gas, it all gets the green stabil and the 2c oil now has stabilizers too. I never leave gas in it, empty the tank and run it dry after each go.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:37 am

Actually, having wheels for transport is only one use. The other is depth control of the spinning blades. Gives a pivot point to use as a depth gauge. Wheels are adjustable for greater or lesser depth. Also, when changing directions after reaching the end of a row, spinning around on the wheels vs picking up the cultivator to turn it 180. Another thing noticed, is the wheels allow for speed control. These are small benefits, but advantages non the less.

Oh, and the wheels made the several block, walk home much more pleasant than carrying. These machines are very light. But the more than occasional blade scrape against the leg, when carrying is real, and something to watch for.

Admittedly, I have not taken the wheels off to give that a go. Although, from having wheels. I could see removing them, only advantageous when aggressive, deep digging is needed throughout the garden bed. I tried the wheel adjustment all the way up for least depth, that is good to say 3". Dropped the wheels down 3 of the 4 notches, and went for it.

Was down 8", almost to the deck of the machine. Which, full depth would be 8"-10" depth. Found 3 very large rocks down there, requiring a shovel to remove them. They ended up being 12" around. Bent a tine, but the machine blew no breakers, or the internal fuse by the safety button. Another note of interest is, by using an adjustable wrench, adjusted down to the thickness of the blade. Makes for easy tuning or bending back of any tine.

From the size, and light weight. I expected the tiller to be kind of a joke. Was considering renting a fulls size tiller. But after using it twice now. Once for shallow 3-6" soil scrapping. Second time for 8" to 10" depth, including cutting through some sod. These little machines are the real deal.

Another item of mention, 2 pins (one on the left and right side of the axle), each holds two sets of blades. When removed, each blade slides of the axle for easy clean up of dirt, wound up grass and roots, or wedged rocks. It is a pin, with a ring attached. Fold the ring up and pull, fold the ring down, it folds under tension over the round axle. Locking in place. The hub is a split case, has grease, no oil. So, no need to change out oil for service. Looks like the mantis is similar.

For anyone in the market, the lower cost range of either machine mentioned. In new condition is:

Mantis gas: (amazon) 330.00 (Ebay) 300.00.
Troy elec: (amazon) 219.00 (Ebay) 199.00, (Lowes) 179.00

Plus there are many other brands of elec or gas tillers. Ranging less in cost, not sure about more.

What is the main purpose of the stabil? I had read fuel stabilizer does nothing to prevent Ethanol from phase separation? I think that has to do with the moisture Ethanol attracts?

Your saying 2 stroke oil has a stabil product too? What is the purpose?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm

It's all about the phase separation. Stabil's main claim to fame is stopping it. I had gas that was a good two years old in a small OB tank and thought I might have to dump it. Poured some off in a big glass jug and it looked like the day I filled the tank. I used it in the mower, it doesn't care what you put in it as long as it burns. Phase separation is very easy to see if you have a clear container, it's kind of a gelling nastiness floating around in the fuel. For those that don't know it takes sitting in an unsealed environment for over 6 months for gas to start separating, the fuel companies also put stabilizer in the mix or they would never get the ethanol to mix (it's the whole water and oil thing.) but they'd also rather have you dump the gas and by more for some reason.......

renpeg
Petty Officer

Post by renpeg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm

:sunny: Yeah with the help of my nephew 9, we started getting the garden bed ready for planting. Spreading steer manure and tilling it in, as well dried shredded maple leaves. (wish I would have done a cover crop... maybe this year). Something that normally we get done in a few hours ended up taking 2 day because of my shoulder/ arm injuries. Im too young for his ****! [cursing]

Planted some raspberry starts got from a friend. Looks like red potatoes again (already growing) , Yukon gold and blue potatoes. Thinking zucchini see how big I can get them this year!!!. maybe english cucumbers. Not really sure what else we will be planting. but with 210 Sq feet more than enough room.

Im thinking of trying to grow some potatoes in a garbage can. ciscoe morris talked about doing it.
as well as carrots and another root vegetable in some 5 gallon pots. see how well it works.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 am

I need to ask this again, since it had not been addressed. What is the timeline for planting seeds in relation to frost?

Some of you have been planting seeds since early March. There has been more than one frosty day since March. Are some plant varieties more frost resistant than others? Is it frost or a hard freeze, that is concerning in the germination/early growth stage?

Last year we planted. Zuccini, carrots, pea pods, corn, squash, lettuce, cabbage, radishes, and beets from a seed. I have yet to plant anything, this year. Is there a certain order, based on winter temp, these should be planted?

A special note. The radishes turned out more like Horseradish, than the mild variety I was anticipating. Was not the variety causing the heat. Apparently, slow growing radishes will be hot? Must be timing involved for the planting of the Radish!

From plant starts were store bought: Roma and cherry tom's, sweet and hot peppers, strawberry's, and blueberry's. Planted in June or July.

Lastly, the "Great Pumpkin". Garden was full last year when it was planed to grow Pumpkins. So, did a outside, potted plant start from seed. After 6 weeks or so. There was room in the garden, pumpkins were transplanted. Must have started too late in the year. No pollination took place, and the pumpkin (female) bulb was way to small at the end of September, if pollination took place anyway!

When do you plant Mr pumpkin, from a seed? Is pollination from bees, or is a manual method required? (Keep yer pants up!) I had heard Cisco (the amped up) Morris suggest the job be completed, via (kids go get your parents) male to female flower, using a paint brush.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 pm

I planted peas first week of March. They are 2-3 inches tall now. They will tolerate the light frosts of the NW. I planted beets and turnips 3rd week of march along with a second row of peas. All my onions are in the ground. I wont plant tomatoes,squashes,cukes till mid may at the earliest.Carrots go in this weekend. I start early on my seeds. If they dont grow youre out a couple bucks only. My lettuce has been in for 1 week now and growing nicely. I grow my lettuce from starts not seeds.I dont do cabbage or brussel sprouts. They get ravaged by aphips all summer. Living so close to the lake limits my poisoning chemicals I can use. For the same reason I limit my roses. My dahlias come up every year and really give the yard nice coloring. Right now the tulips are opening and really putting out some hot colors this year. It should be a banner year for home gardening because the mild winter. Also there will be alot of slugs and snails.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Rac thanks for the timing of the various plantings. What is the reason for lettuce starts, instead of by seed? Ever had hot radishes instead of mild?

Any suggestions for Mr Pumpkin?

Oh, where do you get your fertilizer?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:34 pm

I use horse manure compost. I find it works best for me. I help some friends clean stalls and have multiple stacks of horse compost. I take the oldest first then work up to the fresh. My soil is black with hundreds of red worms per shovel full.Horse is nice because you can plant pretty much fresh . It dosent burn or need lots of ageing like steer or chicken.
I used to do seed all the time. I find that as I get older I seem to have less time then before. So I use starts. As I ve written before I use Carpinitos Bros in Kent on Central Ave. to buy my starts. Lettuce seed are miniscule and I shake a lil bit. LOL. I do seed for peas corn squash and zukes depending on our weather. I seed carrots ,turnips, beets, radishes. Lettuce and tomatoes I buy as starts. Between my house,my parents and now my great nephews garden I plant a good 10 to 20 plants. I dont get great sun so for me its sweet 100's or sweet 1000,also Romas and early girls. I cant grow beefsteaks. At moms house I plant her and dad the larger varieties. They get sun all day.Between the three gardens I plant we all share in our bounties. Right now my shoulder is tweaked from the rototiller . LOL. Good time to fish.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Rac, that is a bunch of gardening responsibility! The mini tiller hurt ya? I could see that happening, they have more power than there small package looks to be possible.

Do your Radishes ever turn out Hot! I have a neighbor that eats store bought radishes raw, whole! We gave him some of our hot ones. He could not believe how hot they were. In order to eat them. I had to darn near mince them with a knife. Then mix in a salad to dilute with other flavors. Then and only then were those hotties edible.

I am going to talk the wife into planting some this weekend. She is the green thumb, I help. But the garden is just not my thing. She always starts around june or july. I have incouraged the early start this year. Due to the post in this thread.