Picking a new rod, need help

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bcalvert
Lieutenant

Re: Picking a new rod, need help

Post by bcalvert » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Amx wrote:That sucks, I still have a couple more Dobyns rods to get.
I get my Dobyns rods at Valley Sports and More - they are a local online outdoors store based out of Burlington, WA.

http://www.beatthebigboxboys.com

As Wholesale Sports looks to be closing some stores, this is a great place to shop.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Great rod choice. You will not be disappointed.

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:36 am

fishingmachine wrote:Great rod choice. You will not be disappointed.
I have no doubt and I am really excited to get it and go try it out.

Thanks for everyone's input [thumbsup]

John Mark
Petty Officer

Post by John Mark » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 am

You should have called me Arnie! Even though I'm betting you will be happy with what you got, I could have given you some other options, without paying retail. But dont tell anyone else I said that...
Dobyns are good rods, but they aren't made in America, which is why I dont buy them. If I remember correctly, their blanks are made in Korea.
But, like I said, I'm betting you will be happy with what you ordered. I love new fishing gear!!
Call me! Let's go wet a line!
JMM

arniejl wrote:Yeah, I drove all the way up to Auburn Sports to find out they had none. So, I just went ahead and ordered up a Dobyns Extreme DX 744C along with one of those Abu Garcia Revo Winch reels in 5.4:1 retrieve left hand, :-$ don't tell my wife, haha.

Actually, wife is fine with it, it is a bunch of these that I just ordered that she may have a problem with:

http://www.powerteamlures.com/ProductDe ... ctCode=DSL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh well, such is life [flapper]

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:14 pm

John Mark wrote:You should have called me Arnie! Even though I'm betting you will be happy with what you got, I could have given you some other options, without paying retail. But dont tell anyone else I said that...
Dobyns are good rods, but they aren't made in America, which is why I dont buy them. If I remember correctly, their blanks are made in Korea.
But, like I said, I'm betting you will be happy with what you ordered. I love new fishing gear!!
Call me! Let's go wet a line! JMM

Hey John, yeah, I am ready. Thinking about Saturday, calling for 54 off the heels of a 60 degree Friday. About time those big ol greenies move up a little and hoping I can pick one off. Not positive yet as a friend of mine is picketing me to go blackmouth fishing with him, but I really want to stay close and hit a lake.

Interested?

John Mark
Petty Officer

Post by John Mark » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 pm

You got my number.
I was born on a green light!

JMM

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Just picked up a Champion 705c for flipping/pitching/punching into the thick stuff. Will be my first time trying that out and using braid too actually. Got my rod for $200 shipped from TackleTrap. Have to contact them to get the better prices though.

I have another Dobyn Rod. Don't remember which model it is. But it's their "Shakey Head" Champion spinning rod. I like it. I'm still trying to get use to the split grip feel though. I use it mainly for light swimbaits and jigs.

At the moment, it just feels more natural to me with the full cork grip.