Later Cold Water Period

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spindog
Commander

Later Cold Water Period

Post by spindog » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm

We are in a transition period, coming out of the cold water period of winter, and moving into what I call the
later cold water period - prior to spring. I am not talking about warming surface temperatures.

Cold Water Prior To Spring

The funny thing about the later cold water period is that not many people are fishing for LMB. The bass haven't seen a lure in a while and are easily coaxed into biting when you locate them. Some of these monsters are all-ready shallow. Most people believe LMB are not shallow at this later cold water period.
Wrong- True Trophies, most of the time show first!

Remember LMB are programmed to do only two things and both of them will bring them shallow.
Those 2 influences are the need to Eat and reproduce!.
The later cold water period is a good time to be on the water, a lot of big fish move in and out checking out the flats and docks adjacent to spawning areas. Huge Bass hold on shallow docks even during this later cold water period.

Fish movements are determined by water temp, available forage and the need to reproduce. I fish cranks, jerkbaits and drag football head jig and pork combos around these shallow water areas. I always sneak a peak at the shallow docks, I've caught huge largemouth early in as low as 38 degree water, where big bass are suspending under low docks or floating docks. This is where I shake baits or use an almost dead-sticking approach, key is to cover, and recover, as much water as you can to locate the bass.

By February's end, no matter what the weather conditions are, it is definitively the time to breakout the tackle and rain gear. I have caught some of my biggest bass during this later cold water period prior to pre-spawn.

Looking back through fishing journals from years past, early or late spring, snow on the shoreline or not. Regardless of water temps, surprisingly, lunkers to be had shallow during this later cold water period.

The end of February brings out some of the biggest bass in the lake, don't let the weather fool ya I know different.
See ya on the Trophy page! [thumbup]
Last edited by spindog on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Later Cold Water Period

Post by Amx » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 pm

The number 1 reason the bass are moving is the LENGTH of sun light/day. The temps are still low as the sun isn't high enough to warm the water at all. That is also why the bass will move even if the sky is cloudy, they can sense the length of day and their instincts take over.

The sun can't warm the water if it's cloudy, and certainly not the deep water of 20 foot plus depths, those depths won't warm up until April, or so. And it all depends on the size of the lake, how much water that needs to warm up, 20,000 acre lake vs 1,000 acre lake, and the depth of the lake, those depths need more direct sun light -- a higher sun in the sky.

Too many people think the bass move because the water warms up, not so until March or even April.

The water acually doesn't start to warm up until the rain becomes warmer.

For many years I've caught crankbait fish from the top down to 15 feet in March. And not necessarily a slow crank either.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Also the bait fish and crawfish sense the longer days and move shallower and the bass will follow them. But it's all based on the length of day/sunlight that gets them all moving.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm

There's a bird outside singing, sounds like a Robin. first robin on the year.

SPRING is on the way! :cheers:

edit: now there is a couple of them.
Tom.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Amx wrote:There's a bird outside singing, sounds like a Robin. first robin on the year.

SPRING is on the way! :cheers:

edit: now there is a couple of them.
[woot]

swayner23
Petty Officer

Post by swayner23 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:00 am

That's some great information! :cheers: I've gotton a lot of new gear this off season and can't wait to start chuckin some baits. C'mon Spring!!!