New drift boat ready to rock.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gfakkema
Commander

Re: New drift boat almost done!

Post by gfakkema » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:16 pm

I know right! I've got it locked in a garage, nobody is going to get to it. Geico is a sacrilege! My wife's a State Farm agent, so as far as insuance is considered, I've got everything insured, from the reels rods and bags to the boat and trailer to the Thule rod rack. Believe me, itemizing all my gear for that is a pain.

After a 10 hour drive back and forth to White City, my boat is home at last. We fit in a short float on the upper Rogue, and got our first fish!

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:22 pm

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: New drift boat ready to rock.

Post by natetreat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Apparently it's legal to keep natives down there, so they looked at me weird when I released it. Coming from up here, I just couldn't bring myself to bonk a wild fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm

natetreat wrote:Apparently it's legal to keep natives down there, so they looked at me weird when I released it. Coming from up here, I just couldn't bring myself to bonk a wild fish.
Congrats, that's a good omen - catching a native on your first float. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:11 am

Catching and releasing the first fish will please the Fish Gods. First blood (on the boat) will bless the boat> Congrats on your purchase.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:07 am

Having the open door on the drifter, in the background. Whether planned or by chance, is way cool! Whoever invented that, is genius!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am

lady-in-the-door.jpg
lady-in-the-door.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Yep, I didn't realize how awesome the door was going to be until I actually started using it. It is soooooooo cool. Lady espcially love the thing for easy access.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 pm

I thought that door was the doggy door??? Good luck and may the Fish G-ds bless you with lots of limits.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Lady looks to be camera shy! LOL!!! She also would like to know, if the boat door makes her arse look big?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 am

That was when we were taking out, she was sorta bummed that we were leaving.

afk
Petty Officer

Post by afk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Quality set-up!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Thank you! You know, it's so nice that I'm dreading that first rock that's going to dent it, or the branch that scrapes down the side. It absolutely glimmers in the sun. I know it's gonna get put through the elements, but still.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Hehehe, I remember that feeling, now I go out and p!$$ on the side once a week just to keep it in shape.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Hahahaha! I got a taste of it just today, a rock from the road must have come up and put a ding in the bow. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a cover for it now, to keep it green for as long as I can. I know a guide in Oregon that has a new one made every year so that he can keep it shiny, sells off the old one. I don't know if I want to go through that much hassle in the end, but a bra might ease up on that a bit.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Get a good cover for it one that you can leave on for the road. I had mine made by eastside tent and awning, couldn't live with out it. Less than ten minutes at the launch and when you pull back the cover it's spotless. Gotta do it! Everytime I go somewhere in the weather I get the serious jealous look when the others have to climb into their grimey boats to head out. My cover is going on 6 years now and there is no loooking back. It was like 1200 but a couple hun a year is nothing to save the boat.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Yea, I'm thinking that may be a good choice. Pavati makes them too, with the logo and stuff too, so I'll see how much they run from them. Spent today shopping around for the perfect heater for the boat. I like the three burner mr heater with the tilt, that way one can face up to cook the oven the other two can heat the boat. I'm debating on if I should put one in the back too, I don't think I'll need it from all the rowing, but the guy in the back might. Also, any good reccomendations for a spolight/headlight in case we get caught in the dark?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:07 pm

CREE XM-L T6 LED flash light, with as many batteries as you can put behind it. Some use 3 of the led's for like 3800 lumins, if everyone will excuse the term, they're like God opened his eyes to show the way with 2 18650 rechargables for power. They'll light up a good 100 yrds or more. Very impressive in a small package. For my boat I have a "Thor" that puts out 20,000,000 candle power with a huge reflector but it only runs about 30 min on it's own power, then it needs the 12V system on the boat. It runs an h3 100 watt halgen bulb. It's brutal but too big for a boat with no motor.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 am

I like the price point on the thing, I could get a bunch of them!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 am

Look hard at the multi led ones. Get a single if there's any doubt and give it a try. The Ultra Fires are good bang for the buck and if you want a good self defence piece they're the bomb. They're very small and extremely bright and the strobe feature will incapacitate just about anyone before you have to shoot them.

PS the LED lights work better on water, less absorbed light at the frequencies they operate at.