Creating Bass Structure

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
algranger
Angler

Creating Bass Structure

Post by algranger » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:11 pm

My buddy and I have been talking about sinking some structure in a lake to create our own bass hot-spot. Something in the form of brush or small bushes with some concrete to hold them on bottom. Does anyone know if this is legal? I think that in a lake with limited structure and a large quantity of bass, it would be a great addition. We just don't want to get into any trouble.

Thanks
Al

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Creating Bass Structure

Post by Amx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Technically it's illegal, so don't get caught. But it's a great idea.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Do you belong to a club? A club can get a permit to sink fish attractors.
Tom.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:53 pm

I have been planting structure for years, nothing like a few "Pickle Barrels" sunk at day break.
Quite effective and easy to make.
LINK
http://www.bassnedge.com/tips/rstip.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cast first, worry later.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:05 pm

spindog wrote:I have been planting structure for years, nothing like a few "Pickle Barrels" sunk at day break.
Quite effective and easy to make.
LINK
http://www.bassnedge.com/tips/rstip.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, make something homemade. The ones they sell at Cabela's and other places I've seen are over $400! You could probably make your own for under $20.

algranger
Angler

Post by algranger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:06 am

Exactly what I needed to know... And just to think I was going to burn that old Christmas tree.
Thanks guys

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 am

it is illegal,as the previous poster said do not get caught.
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 am

Driving 61 in a 60 is also illegal. Im guilty of both. plant near deep water.

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:12 pm

its alright with me,, I will just find them with my lowrance and fish them for you.. [biggrin]
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

algranger
Angler

Post by algranger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:49 pm

It would probably be easier if you knew which lake ha ha. I do expect other bassers to frequent the spot, you just don't miss a Christmas tree in a flat bottomed lake. It's all good though I'm sure that with strategic placement the bass will be settling in one after another

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:20 pm

http://www.luresext.edu/aquaculture/Fis ... actors.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pondking.com/fish-habitat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.probass.net/protips/mdial/md41.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ultimatebass.com/-how-tos-li ... -pile.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ultimatebass.com/-how-tos-li ... -spot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mossbackrack.com/online-store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some good reference links...
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Was out at Alder Lake today looking around at the natural structure and found this:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Looks 'natural' to me. Image

Altho it must not work, no lures stuck on or in it. :scratch:
Tom.

algranger
Angler

Post by algranger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:12 am

Yea there is already plenty of structure out there, seems like a wasted effort. Late last year I spotted an old diesel truck up near the river inlet

algranger
Angler

Post by algranger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 am

By the way, how is the water level for launching at alder right now

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 pm

algranger wrote:By the way, how is the water level for launching at alder right now
Very, very low. I backed down the ramp thinking how easy it would be but past the end of the concrete, which is out of the water, it flattens out. I got my little Basstracker in but had to back up until my front tires were in the water, but I managed. The more to the west you stay, the better. So, back down the west most launch, the bigger one, and then even further from the dock is the best.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:51 pm

How did you end up doing? I've been there a few times. Only time I've had the pole has been in winter.

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 am

rl206 wrote:How did you end up doing? I've been there a few times. Only time I've had the pole has been in winter.
Horrible! I mainly went out there to GPS some of the structure as the lake is so low. I marked some fish and decided to try to catch one, lol. Looked over to shore, up on the road was a gold pickup. I wondered if it may have been a game warden but figured who cares, I am legal. That is when I reached back and felt no wallet in my pocket [angry] .

I packed up and headed home. There was my wallet right on my dresser where I had left it. So, I was only on the water for an hour or so and only about 20 minutes of that was fishing.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:12 am

A new use for Xmas trees. I thought they were only good to float down the river tearing up nets?

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 am

arniejl wrote:
Horrible! I mainly went out there to GPS some of the structure as the lake is so low. I marked some fish and decided to try to catch one, lol. Looked over to shore, up on the road was a gold pickup. I wondered if it may have been a game warden but figured who cares, I am legal. That is when I reached back and felt no wallet in my pocket [angry] .

I packed up and headed home. There was my wallet right on my dresser where I had left it. So, I was only on the water for an hour or so and only about 20 minutes of that was fishing.
Dang,
That's a good idea though, I did the same thing over at Banks during the drawdown, since it's such a big lake.

I took a lot of pics of general areas but decided to pick specific spots that had big flats ad especially steep shorelines so that I could focus on that area and hopefully get the most out of it. We'll see if it paid of here this spring [cool]