First Year

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gfakkema
Commander

Re: First Year

Post by gfakkema » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:44 pm

^^^ x100, 000, 000

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Lake Tanwax is one of my favorite lakes. Lost lake near Shelton has a very good Kokanee fishery. Nice launch too. This all might be repetetive but in Thurston county try Mineral Lake. The south sound area has some really nice lakes. Good luck and wear your life jacket always. I dont care how well you swim. Be careful.

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for the great info everybod! I am about half way through boaters Ed and will be done well before fishing season. And DavidA anyone of those lakes would be great! Pumped for all of these new experiences
Just keep fishing

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Narrows: Having hit each of those in the last month and a half or 2, the action is pretty sparse right now, though we've caught 2 of 3 times, it was 2, 2, 0 fish total. Surface water temp still seems to be 38-39, and so I'm trying to hold off until it warms a little (not sure if I'll be able to stay away though!). Let me know when you're interested and maybe we can schedule something around then.

Oh! One other thing (in addition to the drain plug warning), bring a cell phone if you can, and something to keep it dry in. Many of the lakes may not have cell service, but walking to a place where you get some reception is better than not having any outside contact!

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Alright sounds good! And good call with phone thing!
Just keep fishing

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:22 am

dont know if it was mentioned or not ... best place to learn to bk up a trailer is a mall parking lot ... start out just bk'n it around and get used to driving backwards ... go slowwwww because the 1 thing worse than looking like a moron at the ramp is jack knife'n and damage'n your stuff ... after you figure it out try and park the boat and trailer STRAIGHT !!! in 2 stalls .. then keep bk'n up till you can keep it all in line and bk threw 2 or 3 parking spots stay'n inside the lines ... AGAIN go SLOW .... someone who has their boat/gear loaded and ready to go ... pulls up and gets everything nice and straight and backs rrright down in the 1ST try !!!!!! ... i dont care how slow they do it lolol .... another hint i dont think i saw was to unplug yor trailer lights !!! ... i dont know your rigs but a lot of my old stuff isnt water tight and i blow bulbs or fuses backing "hot" stuff into the water ... just got in the habit and still do it even on all the fancy sealed led 1s i have ... and make'n sure all the lights are work'n is the last thing on my "checklist"/walk around i do before i pull out for home so i NEVER forget to plug 'em bk in .... speak'n off plugs !!! i keep my boat plug in my fish'n coat pocket with my fish'n lic and my lil speedy hook tie'n tool and the remote/fob for run'n the bowmount .... point is it goes in and out of the pocket as part of the walkaround/check lists ... i ALLWAYS do 1 last walk around right after i think i'm done ... all the way around the whole rig ... a guy can be tired after a long day of adventures lolol ...

the last thing is i'll say is .... to go slow and steady while your learn'n and safety 1st ... and once you "learn" how and feel more confident .... dont drive like a (EDITED) .... if that's why you cant wait to get in the boat and go .... nothing but bad things will happen .... a thing to keep in mind is when you sign that card that's says you were train'd to operate a boat .... and when the man is stand'n there with his ticket book ... excuses wont work and being the "SKIPPER" is a big deal .... sooo have fun and GL ... DOG