How are the high energy prices effecting you?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

How are the high energy prices effecting you?

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 am

Is the rising cost of gas putting a pinch on your household or business budget?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:How are the high energy prices effecting you?

Post by Toni » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:56 am

Yes
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:47 am

More than I'd like to admit. I normally commute via motorcycle, but once the frost hits the ground I'm done for the season and will start using my 6/9mpg truck. That's really going to hurt the old pocketbook.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:10 pm

Not for me for the last few weeks. I came to college without a car so I haven't had to put money into a pump for 2 months...Can't understand how some people can make the 1 hour drive through rush hour every day with a gas guzzler. That's a hurting at the pump
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 pm

Not yet. The reason is because I recently took a part-time job that has turned out to be more like full-time. Prior to this I was on a 18-month vacation after my military retirement. With my wife on active duty with the Air Force, I stood in as a "Mr. Mom" and full-time fisherman! With mama at work and the kids at school, I fished 4-5 days a week in Washington, Idaho and Montana....now that was expensive!!! Now that I'm working I burn very little gas compared to this past spring and summer.

My wife has been feeling the pain due to the non-availability of the van(s) at the Fairchild Inn. Those vans are so heavily tasked that she is forced to drive her car all over base to attend meetings and such. She burns twice as much gas while on base as she does getting to/from base! So I've recently gotten into the habit of filling her Liberty for her in an attempt to alleviate some of that pain.

I wonder if the "experts" will be right about gas going to $4 this winter. Only time will tell.

Has anybody else noticed a drastic decrease in MPG when gas is switched over to the winter blend?

crappie007
Warrant Officer

Post by crappie007 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:13 pm

Not yet, I only drive 22 miles round trip to work each day.
I have a friend who mentioned car pooling during the winter.
I do hear lots of complaints at work from people who are
feeling the pinch at the pump.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:21 pm

I wish that most gas stations did not have the $50 transaction limits when you fuel up. When I take my F250 Super duty in for fuel, it doesn't take alot at $3.50/gal diesel to hit the $50 mark. Now I only do two transactions and go because it eats up my time at the pump.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Up until January '07 I was driving from Vancouver, WA to Silverton, OR to work...54miles one-way. Gas prices started concerning me alot.

Now I have a new job, making more money, getting a lot more respect and it is only two and one-half miles from home. My biggest gas expence is going fishing!!

Seriously, the price of gas does not keep me home. I still drive when and where I want.

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:36 pm

It has not kept me home, but my fishing/hunting trips are more thoughtout. When gas was cheap I was always up for "where does that road go" or I am setting off North and will be home in a couple of days... that no longer happens. I have been spending more time fishing local lakes.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:39 pm

cavdad45 wrote:I wish that most gas stations did not have the $50 transaction limits when you fuel up. When I take my F250 Super duty in for fuel, it doesn't take alot at $3.50/gal diesel to hit the $50 mark. Now I only do two transactions and go because it eats up my time at the pump.
Hey Cav, not sure about this, but I think that if you go inside the station and pre-pay, you can avoid the transaction limits that gas stations make. Like I said, I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but the Safeway where I always go to to get gas does that...
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

Post by Basshunter046 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 pm

I'm saying a big fat YES!!! I work 2 jobs now just to make ends meet. Plus was just told this week were cutting down to a skeleton crew at my primary job (shipping and receiving in a sawmill). I'm still lucky that I am working but will be loosing alot of benefits, bonus, and overtime. My second job won't be enough to cover all that I have lost here. At 13.00 and hour here and 8.00 on my side job. It's not going to be good. With having to cover Rent, Power, CHILD SUPPORT, plus lot's of little odd and ends bills,, the top ramen better stay flowing. With food, power, comodities and gas prices are just going to keep rising. The poor man has no chance. My 2 cent's worth. Needless to say anybody wanna buy a boat, motor, and trailer LOL can't afford to use it.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Basshunter046 wrote: I'm saying a big fat YES!!! I work 2 jobs now just to make ends meet. Plus was just told this week were cutting down to a skeleton crew at my primary job (shipping and receiving in a sawmill). I'm still lucky that I am working but will be loosing alot of benefits, bonus, and overtime. My second job won't be enough to cover all that I have lost here. At 13.00 and hour here and 8.00 on my side job. It's not going to be good. With having to cover Rent, Power, CHILD SUPPORT, plus lot's of little odd and ends bills,, the top ramen better stay flowing. With food, power, comodities and gas prices are just going to keep rising. The poor man has no chance. My 2 cent's worth. Needless to say anybody wanna buy a boat, motor, and trailer LOL can't afford to use it.
Brother, I hear where you're coming from and I really feel for you. Years ago, I was there in a job making $14 and hour and averaging about 20 overtime hours/week. My take home was less than minimum wage because of Child Support and with two boys at home we had a time of it getting by.

I wish I could give you some advise better than hang in there, but things will get better in time. I really empathize with what you are going through. It sucks and I know it.

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14 pm

I live in Spokane and work in Seattle sometimes and the gas is a killer it is 1 1/2 what it was 2 years ago. And Avista wants rate hikes too. It is a consideration to go fishing far away too. I remember as a kid mowing yards ,I am 49, I was upset that gas went from 20 to 22 cents a gallon. Whats the cheapest you guys remember it?

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:30 pm

JimLyons wrote:I live in Spokane and work in Seattle sometimes and the gas is a killer it is 1 1/2 what it was 2 years ago. And Avista wants rate hikes too. It is a consideration to go fishing far away too. I remember as a kid mowing yards ,I am 49, I was upset that gas went from 20 to 22 cents a gallon. Whats the cheapest you guys remember it?
In the late 60's in Spokane, there was a gas war in town. I was running around in a '65 Volkswagen and once filled up the empty 10 gal. tank for a dollar. For about two weeks, it was going for $0.10/gal. but went back up to the regular price of $0.28/gal

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:32 pm

raffensg64 wrote:
Has anybody else noticed a drastic decrease in MPG when gas is switched over to the winter blend?
Raff, I think as of last year, Spokane Co. quit requiring the winter blend.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
raffensg64 wrote:
Raff, I think as of last year, Spokane Co. quit requiring the winter blend.
Ethanol is 30% less efficient than gas... so if you are using 10% ethanol you get 3% lower gas mileage.

My way around gas prices is I vanpool to work for what's now $72 a month. I get a $30 subsidy so my net is $42. Other than that it's enough gas to drive the 3 miles to the park and ride lot. The vanpool $$ should go to $80 in 2008 if it follows past patterns.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:38 am

Only working part time and still managing 1 to 2 trips a week has definitely been hard since gas prices continue to rise. Starting to think AMPM gas would be the best choice since 76 is 12cents more per gallon, But I dont want any goop storing up in my filter. Everyone knows AMPM is cheap for a reason!

Kill a Carribou, Send a few men fishing!
If in doubt set the hook!

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:51 am

I still have to pay for fuel to get back and forth to work...I gripe and moan to myself when I pay for it, but it hasn't stopped me yet. Although, I have cut back on the running around I used to do. I am starting to plan trips a bit more...make the most out of the trip. My biggest fuel expense is like a few others around here...getting back and forth to work...and running to those fishing holes.
the1fishingpro wrote:Starting to think AMPM gas would be the best choice since 76 is 12cents more per gallon, But I dont want any goop storing up in my filter. Everyone knows AMPM is cheap for a reason!
People can say what they want about Arco gas being cheap...I have been using it for some time and have noticed no difference in horsepower or mileage as compared to using any of the others. I get the same whether I fill with Premium at Texaco, Chevron, or AM/PM. About the only time I really notice a boost in mileage...is when I wash and wax the truck. If you're worried about clogging fuel filters...just keep up on your services, stay away from the lower grade fuels and you should be alright.

No warranty expressed or implied...opinions and mileage may vary! :-P

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

sgpwayne
Petty Officer

Post by sgpwayne » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:49 am

I know that you guys won't believe this but the gasoline is the same. I used to drive a gasoline truck and we would constantly trade gas back and forth. If you delivered gas and there wasn't a terminal close by to reload you would load at whatever terminal had a working agreement with yours. Ever notice that Chevron used to advertise an additive they called Techronn now its in Texaco and Shell Gasolines. Arco AM/PM is British Petroleum and they have to meet the same quality standards as any one else. If your vehicle is rated for unleaded regular you are just wasting money by putting in higher octane gasolines. WAYNE

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:00 am

sgpwayne,
Not doubting you but do you have any other proof that AMPM or other "cheaper" gasoline is the same as more "expensive" gasoline? Again, not to argue, but I'd like to find out as some of my friends will only fill up with the pricy stuff, and think the cheap stuff is bad for your engine. I'm not sure but would like to know some facts cause it's nice to see an Arco station across the street from a Shell selling gas for 15 cents cheaper.....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....