Need A New Boat Cover

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
FishingFool
Captain

Need A New Boat Cover

Post by FishingFool » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Suggestions?

Got a Cabela's Ratchet cover. Lasted just about 2 years. Was decent for what it is. Bought it on sale. Anyways, it's been destroyed by birds or some sort of critter. 99% sure it's birds. I can tell by the holes/tears.... I think they are using it to build nests.

This was a month ago.

I ordered some repair tape that I was going to use on it. Went to check up on it today and it's basicly trashed. The birds ripped up where my trolling motor presses against the cover. Completely destroyed. Also, my pole support now just punched through the cover. Along the driver side gunwale, little rips all along that edge. FFFUUUUU. Should have taken some new pics. Very sad.

Now, I'm thinking maybe I should get a cheap cover instead? My thinking is, if a cover only last a couple of years, what's the point in spending lots of money on 1.

Or maybe just usen a tarp and just cover up the front area of the boat for now.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Need A New Boat Cover

Post by Amx » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Ya, just thow a tarp over it for this winter. Order a good new one, or maybe go to your local college and see if they have a class on making stuff like that, like upholstery or some such, and they can make you one. Sometimes they can make boat covers to fit, and it'd be a little cheaper than cabellas, and might even be better material.
Tom.

Interests: living

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:24 pm

My cover is a less expensive one and has lasted 9 years and going strong. Sun and waether are your worst two enemies then the animals. Buy a good cover and then cover it with a cheap blue, green or brown tarp. It has made mine last.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Have a marine canvas or tent and awning company make one from Sunbrella or Topgun. Sunbrella is a little more breathable so your boat can dry out without mildew. Sunbrella is marine fabric and guaranteed for many years. Topgun is too but it's more for making a new top as it doesn't breath much. You do need to take care of it, wash it and re-treat it every year or two and it will take care of you. You really get what you pay for. Buy off the shelf and get off the shelf quality. My towable cover is 7 years old and going strong. Couldn't live without it.

This will give you a good rundown on how the different fabrics preform;

http://canvas-fabrics.com/TopGun/index.htm
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:57 pm

Well, I decided to buy a cheap cover instead. Only comes out to $62 shipped. Hopefully it fits. The measurements are a little bit larger, since it's a universal type cover. But it is 600d fabric. Which is the same as my Cabelas cover. If it lasts 2 years, I'll be way ahead.

Just dont want to spend $400+ on a cover and have it get ruined.... even if it'll last 7+ years. I will still be way ahead with the cheap cover.

I dont plan on towing it much with the cover on. I did have to do it last year while driving to Banks and back. Only reason was because it was raining the whole time. [sad]

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:20 pm

FishingFool wrote:Well, I decided to buy a cheap cover instead. Only comes out to $62 shipped. Hopefully it fits. The measurements are a little bit larger, since it's a universal type cover. But it is 600d fabric. Which is the same as my Cabelas cover. If it lasts 2 years, I'll be way ahead.

Just dont want to spend $400+ on a cover and have it get ruined.... even if it'll last 7+ years. I will still be way ahead with the cheap cover.

I dont plan on towing it much with the cover on. I did have to do it last year while driving to Banks and back. Only reason was because it was raining the whole time. [sad]

Put a plastic tarp over it and it will last for years.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 pm

lol. I may put a small tarp over the bow area on top of the new cover. I think the birds have claimed that area as their territory.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am

That's pretty destructive for birds. Do you know what species is doing this?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am

Raccoon, possum. No way a bird will peel away a big square like that.

Kids dragging something along the side.

Wind whipping the cover.
Tom.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm

I bought a heavy nylon one from Wall Mart and its lasted 5 years so far. Nylon wears better then a store bought canvas. Store bought canvas tears at the windshield points and along stress points. I like the nylon cover with rings so I can hold it down well with bungies. It came in various sizes for different legnths of boats.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Amx wrote:Raccoon, possum. No way a bird will peel away a big square like that.

Wind whipping the cover.
I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with kids.

I wonder if it's a combination of birds and squirrels. When I went back to look at it, i found a couple of small acorns underneath the bow deck area.

I know for sure it started off with birds. The holes were perfectly pecked and you could see the fuzz/strains pulled out a little bit.

Dont think it's wind, since it hasn't been that windy lately. But then again, maybe the side damage could be. Maybe once the pole support slide past the tarp. It created lots of slack on the cover.

I wish I could sit there all day and watch to see what kind of animal it is. Reduce the population a little.... 8-[

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Ya, squirrels will do that. Find the holes made by birds and make them bigger to find shelter. Then a wind can peel back a flap.
Tom.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 pm

If its critters put some moth balls in the boat. Squirrels and small critters shy away from the smell of mothballs.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm

FishingFool wrote:
Amx wrote:Raccoon, possum. No way a bird will peel away a big square like that.

Wind whipping the cover.
I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with kids.

I wonder if it's a combination of birds and squirrels. When I went back to look at it, i found a couple of small acorns underneath the bow deck area.

I know for sure it started off with birds. The holes were perfectly pecked and you could see the fuzz/strains pulled out a little bit.

Dont think it's wind, since it hasn't been that windy lately. But then again, maybe the side damage could be. Maybe once the pole support slide past the tarp. It created lots of slack on the cover.

I wish I could sit there all day and watch to see what kind of animal it is. Reduce the population a little.... 8-[

You should get a security camera system. That's how I caught the perps that were digging around in my aluminum can recycle. Them possums are always causing trouble. [scared]

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:09 pm

So I got my new cheap cover today. Went to go put it on and look at what I encountered.....

Hundreds and hundreds of them. Also, I determined, there was no squirrel. I inspected the acorn I found. It had a little pit in it from a pointed beak I imagine. Not your normal gnawing from critters.

Also, the old boat cover. I cut it with a box knife so I could salvage parts from it. Right after I made my slit, it was able to tear along the slit like it was proforated.. :-k In a perfectly straight line. The fabric seems very week once cut. No wonder the birds rip it so easily.

Now, onto the new cover. The fit sucks. Think of your grandmas underwear. If this cover lasts just 1 year, I will be happy. My next cover may be another semi-custom fit instead.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 pm

"Granny panties" and great photo! I love it. Sorry that you are having such a hassle.
I have been contemplating buying a quality boat cover lately, as well. I saw cover at Bass Pro shop recently that was rated for my size boat. It came in at $160.00. I thought it seemed a bit pricey for what it really is....
but for me the benefit is that I could load all kinds of gear and luggage, etc. into the boat, and be legally a covered load while going to Eastern WA. It would make a huge difference in the space in the car while towing on a long trip.
Curious what you have come across on prices for boat covers in your searches? I think we have similar size boats... I am a 14' aluminum deep hull runabout.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 pm

The Quadfather wrote:"Granny panties" and great photo! I love it. Sorry that you are having such a hassle.
I have been contemplating buying a quality boat cover lately, as well. I saw cover at Bass Pro shop recently that was rated for my size boat. It came in at $160.00. I thought it seemed a bit pricey for what it really is....
but for me the benefit is that I could load all kinds of gear and luggage, etc. into the boat, and be legally a covered load while going to Eastern WA. It would make a huge difference in the space in the car while towing on a long trip.
Curious what you have come across on prices for boat covers in your searches? I think we have similar size boats... I am a 14' aluminum deep hull runabout.
Mine is a 16.5' deep v. The prices I found, ranged from $60-$400.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:24 pm

So I got this setup. Think it will work? All together, it came out to about ~$35 or so. I also got hawk, lol. I originally wanted to hang both birds up. Or have them sit on those mailbox post. But I saw this bird feeder stand and decided to give it a try...

$1 cinder block from Home Depot. A tube of JB Weld that I had lying around. I'm gonna put some red ribbon around the top of the arm to let it flutter in the air and hopefully prevent birds from landing on it...

I'm also thinking of hanging a small wind chime right next to the bird with a eye screw onto the arm....

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:21 pm

FishingFool wrote:So I got this setup. Think it will work? All together, it came out to about ~$35 or so. I also got hawk, lol. I originally wanted to hang both birds up. Or have them sit on those mailbox post. But I saw this bird feeder stand and decided to give it a try...

$1 cinder block from Home Depot. A tube of JB Weld that I had lying around. I'm gonna put some red ribbon around the top of the arm to let it flutter in the air and hopefully prevent birds from landing on it...

I'm also thinking of hanging a small wind chime right next to the bird with a eye screw onto the arm....
Crows are incredibly smart and territorial. How often have you seen them buzzing a perched hawk on a light pole
beside the freeway, or chasing after an eagle or hawk in mid flight? Crows are one tough bird, and their strength
usually comes from numbers. I hope your Owl doesn't ATTRACT a "MURDER" of crows. [scared] [scared]

You would be better off bringing a BB gun and shooting a few. Leave a couple dead ones laying around for a couple
days, they won't go near your boat.
Cast first, worry later.