Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

Post by natetreat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Well, I fished the Stilly today, hit three bucks and some coho, and showed up late to the cascade, and ya'll must have caught all the fish out of it, because nothing wanted to play by then.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
OFFDAAHOOK wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:Hit number 70 today. Id have more info for ya but i lost 4 other steelhead. Saw them all. All over 10 lbs one was close to 15. Lost them all. So. Im a little pissed i landed A tiny hen and lost those [thumbdn]
freak look like u got some catching up to do me and a buddy landed 16 one night alone hahaha [flapper] . ya that sucks loosing fish i know first hand i almost threw my rod in the rocks [cursing] ,i changed brand of hook and size my ratio went from [thumbdn] 30% to 80% [thumbsup] something to think about :tongue:
i use the best of the best, black gamakatsu octopus hooks, my fish today i lost of beau mac jigs, they usually pin the bastards super good, they were chrome, hard fighting and just pulled the hook during crazy acrobatics, kinda cool, still would like to have brought at least one pig to hand
Last year and part of the coho this year I used those hooks.....lost my share of fish. Since I have switched to those new mustad 32833 hooks I don't even worry about them coming unhooked anymore. Rarely have I had them come loose. Tim spent the beginning of the year unable to land a fish, If you remember Danny, I was telling you in the beginning of the season about Tim loosing so many fish. I started supplying his jigs and he has not been loosing fish. These hooks are by far my favorite and not overpriced....though not cheap either, but fair price for the quality! people that use them, usually swear by them!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:13 pm

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:
fishenfreak wrote:Hit number 70 today. Id have more info for ya but i lost 4 other steelhead. Saw them all. All over 10 lbs one was close to 15. Lost them all. So. Im a little pissed i landed A tiny hen and lost those [thumbdn]
freak look like u got some catching up to do me and a buddy landed 16 one night alone hahaha [flapper] . ya that sucks loosing fish i know first hand i almost threw my rod in the rocks [cursing] ,i changed brand of hook and size my ratio went from [thumbdn] 30% to 80% [thumbsup] something to think about :tongue:
ODH- what brand have you gone to?

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:43 pm

those mustad ultras are bad arse hook btw. i went to eagleclaw lazer 1/0 i can get a pack of 45 for 5 buck i know they are cheap hook but they have thin diamiter which is perfect combo with my lami 8-12# 10' . i notice fish throw hook for reason hooks need to be matched with rod power . stiffer the pole thicker the hook lighter the pole lighter the hook.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:50 pm

OFFDAAHOOK wrote: i notice fish throw hook for reason hooks need to be matched with rod power . stiffer the pole thicker the hook lighter the pole lighter the hook.
Never would have thought of that.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Takes more power to sink a thick hook dia. so a more powerful rod is needed.
Tom.

Interests: living

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Theory all sounds good but, I use a sst 9 1/2 ft light action pole 4-10lb, along with mustad 32833 2x hooks(NOT light wire requires special jig mold due to heavy wire) and I don't have a problem at all with light pole heavy hook scenario. Howver, when I set the hook, I set the hook. If there is no fish on the other end.....my float and jig are way back behind me! Sometimes nearly being hit by my own gear!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm

my only problem when I loose fish is having too heavy of a drag and horsing fish with 6lb line, I had the case of crackers at the cascade too, except I lost 2 really nice jigs to fish. Are you guys getting them from the raspberry hole or down lower, nice fish btw FF and good times.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm

i had the same probs freak had i was using custom 11'3 10-20 bait caster fetastyx i lost almost every fish when they jumped and went acrobat. then something had to be done cuz it was pissing me off .i decided to lower the power on rod to midium light 12# and same hook size 1/0 but a thinner diameter hook the landing rate came up 80% . this was tested about 100 steel hooked this winter between me and a buddy . he did same as me with simular result . there was no probs with salmons last yr just steel cuz they can be really acrobats and put slack on your line. then again this was just my exp im sure it varies by condition and species
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:my only problem when I loose fish is having too heavy of a drag and horsing fish with 6lb line, I had the case of crackers at the cascade too, except I lost 2 really nice jigs to fish. Are you guys getting them from the raspberry hole or down lower, nice fish btw FF and good times.
6# lol bonker were u fishing for planter trouts again :scratch: =D>
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 pm

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:6# lol bonker were u fishing for planter trouts again :scratch: =D>
nope just trying to do my best at irradicating the steelhead brat jacks like what FF has there haha, biggest fish I have landed with 6lb test is a 9lber so it is all good, now I am going to start using 8 or 10lb leaders with native fish now entering the rivers.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 pm

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:my only problem when I loose fish is having too heavy of a drag and horsing fish with 6lb line, I had the case of crackers at the cascade too, except I lost 2 really nice jigs to fish. Are you guys getting them from the raspberry hole or down lower, nice fish btw FF and good times.
6# lol bonker were u fishing for planter trouts again :scratch: =D>
HAHAHA 6# is ridiculously unnecessary, lol

Nice fish Marc and bentrod! good day on the water!
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 pm

ok we have already gone through this argument about me using 6lb line before, I did a test with it in the cascade this winter and the fish would not hit 8 but would hit 6, so it makes a little difference or it is just me. I only use 6 on a couple rivers, everywhere else I use 8 or 10lb.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:15 pm

It's just you! 6# test is just asking for trouble. If that is what it took to hook fish that would be one thing but they are not leader shy in the cascade. No reason to go below 8# and 10# works just as well. 6# test is for people that like to break off fish.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm

well I guess I like to break off fish I have hooked like 15 fish with 6lb test and have only broke off 3. I know the cascade fish are not leader shy but for some reason the last time I was there I could only get hits on 6lb test but the river was running like 200 cfs and was sunny out so I do not know if that makes a difference or not.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm

You can judge better when there are more fish biting. Most of the time at the cascade this year you might only get hit a couple times a day, so that makes it hard to accurately judge the difference in say 6# vs 8# vs 10#. Now say you are fishing and not getting bit and the guy next to you keeps hooking fish. You ask what # test his leader is and he says 6# and so you go from 10# to 6# and start getting hit, well that is a pretty sure thing that the leader was the cause. Or say you are fishing and you can see there are fish but can't get a hit, you change to lighter leader and start catching fish(not just a fish or 2) then the leader may be the problem.
Not trying to give you a bad time, just would hate to see you loose a big steelhead just because you think you need 6# test. There have been some huge steelhead in the cascade this year, if you hook one, you want to be able to land it. Not that it is impossible to land one with 6# but just not needed, so why take the chance.
Hope you get the big one!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:ok we have already gone through this argument about me using 6lb line before, I did a test with it in the cascade this winter and the fish would not hit 8 but would hit 6, so it makes a little difference or it is just me. I only use 6 on a couple rivers, everywhere else I use 8 or 10lb.
i think your freakin crazy! Haha, i hooked 5 today on cascade, and over 80 last year, all on 12lb test, not even flourocarbon. Broken off some fish on 12 that would have lasted less than 3 seconds on 6 lb test

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 am

I fish light drags too so the fish can run better with the 6lb and it is more fun fighting a 5-7lb brat on 6lb test than 10. And don't get me wrong I have hooked fish there with 10lb too, I only use 6lb at the cascade and anywhere during the summer for steelhead, other than that it is 10lb fluorocarbon.
Was there other people catching fish at the cascade too yesterday?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 am

Brat Bonker wrote:I fish light drags too so the fish can run better with the 6lb and it is more fun fighting a 5-7lb brat on 6lb test than 10. And don't get me wrong I have hooked fish there with 10lb too, I only use 6lb at the cascade and anywhere during the summer for steelhead, other than that it is 10lb fluorocarbon.
Was there other people catching fish at the cascade too yesterday?
Only saw one other than marcs. It was pretty slow after first light. Really wasnt that great

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 am

Hen this mornin
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (208.44 KiB) Viewed 1691 times