Ice Reports 2012-2013

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Ice Reports 2012-2013

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 am

trout-chaser wrote:Any info on ice on Pierre or Curlew??? Thanx
I'm not in that neck of the woods but, unless I've got my elevations out of whack, Pierre and Curlew don't have the ice we need to walk on them just yet, if at all. You're looking at about 2000 ft elevation..... similar to Fish(Wenatchee) Lakes.... I do understand geographical locations and size differences make a difference in ice formation and thickness... Pierre for instance gets less sun and it's a bit further north, tends to be thicker than Waittes, Williams and others nearby.. I got a snipit of a report of ice formed at Bonaparte about a week ago... not clear info if it's fishable yet. That's in the 3000+ ft elevation I think. :scratch:
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 am

This is a good read: Dec WDFW Weekender report>>
Eastern Washington
(Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Garfield, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla and Whitman counties)

Fishing: Rainbow trout are healthy, hungry, plentiful and waiting to be caught during the winter-only fishing season that opens Dec. 1 at four lakes in the region.

WDFW district fish biologist Randy Osborne
sampled rainbow trout at Fourth of July Lake
That’s the report from Randy Osborne, fish biologist for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, who recently sampled the catch at Hog Canyon Lake and Fourth of July Lake near Sprague.

“Anglers can expect to catch rainbows at Hog Canyon ranging from nine to 21 inches,” Osborne said. “The average size of fish we caught Nov. 26 was 16.4 inches. All the fish look great and are in top condition.”

At Fourth of July Lake, the rainbows sampled Nov. 27 ranged from 12 to 23-inch rainbows, with an average size of 17.8 inches, Osborne said.

“With rain in the forecast and temperatures reaching to the mid 40s, it looks like anglers will have open water conditions for the opener,” said Osborne, noting that neither lake had any ice at the time of the sampling effort.

The daily limit on both Hog Canyon Lake and Fourth of July Lake is five trout, but only two fish catch over 14 inches may be retained. Both lakes offer shoreline and boat access, but boaters should be aware that internal combustion motors are prohibited on Fourth of July Lake.

“Also, with the colder water temperatures at this time of year, boaters should make sure that everyone on board wears a life jacket,” Osborne said.

WDFW northeast district fish biologist Bill Baker of Colville also recently sampled Hatch and Williams lakes in Stevens County, which also open Dec. 1.

“Anglers at Hatch Lake can expect to catch 12 to 17-inch rainbow trout that are healthy and fat,” Baker said. “The average size of fish we caught Nov. 26 was 14.5 inches. At Williams Lake you can expect to catch rainbows from 13 to 17 inches, also in good condition. Our test fishing averaged catches of 15.5 inch trout. Catch rates on the opener should be high because these fish are actively feeding.”

The daily trout limit at both Hatch and Williams lakes is five fish. Once that daily limit is caught, fishing is catch-and-release.

Baker found no ice on either lake, and forecasts in the northeast district are also relatively mild for opening day. The season should start, with open water, so both shoreline and boat anglers will do well.

“The usual bait, like nightcrawlers, Powerbait, and marshmallows, or lures like Mepps or Roostertails, or flies like Bionic or San Juan worms, should all be good producers,” Baker said.

Three year-round trout lakes also look promising: Rock Lake in Whitman County, Sprague Lake on the Lincoln-Adams county line, and Lake Roosevelt.

WDFW enforcement officer Doug King said recent catches at Rock Lake are showing more rainbows and fewer brown trout in recent weeks. Boat fishing tends to be most productive, but King said anglers have also been catching fish from the shore at the roadside access site.

WDFW Swanson Lakes Wildlife Area manager Juli Anderson reports trout fishing also has been good at Z-Lake, located off Telford Road on the wildlife area in Lincoln County.

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Just thought I would let everyone know that Silver Lake (Spokane County) didn't have any ice as of last Sunday. With the warmer temps expected this week, I doubt it is coming soon.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks DougW! I just checked the Fish Lake webcam, beautiful day up there, lots of open water, just ice along the shoreline, not fishable, might be a boat winter fishery for a bit longer..... It's gotten colder here on the Wetside Doug, thanks for the heads up on Dryside temps.... and ice conditions.

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:50 pm

dougw wrote:Just thought I would let everyone know that Silver Lake (Spokane County) didn't have any ice as of last Sunday. With the warmer temps expected this week, I doubt it is coming soon.
Dang, Doug. I was really hoping that with this cold snap that is expected to last through the weekend, that we might see the shallows freeze up. There is a brief warm up in the forecast, but long range forecasts are showing cooler than normal weather prevailing for much of January. My one concern is that none of the forecast models are advertising a solid arctic intrusion to the lower 48. Furthermore, most of these forecast models have been overstating the cold up until recently, so no one really has a clue except mother nature.

I know this much: the days are only getting longer from here on out. We're already talking about February small mouth fishing and opening tournaments!

Idahoguy9488
Petty Officer

Post by Idahoguy9488 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Is there a link for the Fish Lake webcam? Wouldn't mind checking it out myself. Save me a trip of checking it out in person

Big D

Post by Big D » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Idahoguy9488 wrote:Is there a link for the Fish Lake webcam? Wouldn't mind checking it out myself. Save me a trip of checking it out in person
Ask, and you shell receive: http://www.zeitcam.com/webcam/fishlake
Fish lake is still showing lots of open water.

Idahoguy9488
Petty Officer

Post by Idahoguy9488 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks! Yeah that's about how it looked when I drove up there two weeks ago :/

Idahoguy9488
Petty Officer

Post by Idahoguy9488 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 am

Fish lake is starting to look a lot better after checking the web cam the last couple days. Still probably not safe but it looks like the ice has almost taken over most of the open water.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Saturday Silver Lake in Spokane Country had 3-4 inches of ice. Reports from other people. Sprague Lake, & Fish trap frozen over, not sure how much ice but people were ice fishing. With this new snow that fell, don't know how long the ice will last.

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Long range forecast is looking really good for continued freeze up.

I also saw Silver lake on Friday evening. It is freezing up well, but I don't know how far out the ice is safe. Looking good though.

fullybuilt2.0
Petty Officer

Post by fullybuilt2.0 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 am

Eloika has 7" as of 1/5/13. Bear has 4" as of 1/5/13. Sliver has 3-4" as of 1/4/13 and buddy said fourth and hog has 3-4" as of 1/4/13. Hope that helps. See ya on the ice. GL and be safe fishing.

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm

January 13, 2012: I fished Fish Lake today-- there were about 20 people on the ice near the Cove Resort-- only two people in the middle of the lake where the ice is thinner. The bite was off, but the ice in the cove was sound! 6.5 inches-- not clear but far from slush-- solid ice. I felt totally safe as far as WA ice fishing standards go. I was at a cabin in Plain Friday night through today-- there were some nights in the mid-teens and it really firmed things up.

YellowSevenPot
Angler

Post by YellowSevenPot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Hey all,

I was out on Hog the last couple of days. Fishing was slow but the ice was great: 5 1/2 inches thick.

- YellowSevenPot
Some like it hot.... Only a few of us know what that really means.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Sprague is iced over as I discovered on a drive to the Spokane airport yesterday. Two intrepid souls were out fishing thru the ice on Moses today at 4PM. Just what I saw.... no other details.

CoyoteCrazy
Petty Officer

Post by CoyoteCrazy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Has anyone checked out Waitts lake recently? I like the lake but it is a long drive and I would rather not tow the boat if I can sit on the ice. Thanks.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Yakima area has a thin crust on the ponds. Does anyone know about the Coffee Pot lake area (Chain of Lakes)?

romanfishing
Warrant Officer

Post by romanfishing » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Good ice on Scootney, Evergreen, and Roses Lake.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:34 am

zen leecher wrote:Sprague is iced over as I discovered on a drive to the Spokane airport yesterday. Two intrepid souls were out fishing thru the ice on Moses today at 4PM. Just what I saw.... no other details.
Seven people out fishing Moses yesterday. I did see a bucket sitting away from the crowd. Later I heard someone broke thru the ice. I have no details on that. I did see two open spots out from the launch. Those bear checking out later in the year for temperature differences. Might be a spring.

afk
Petty Officer

Post by afk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 am

I saw 6 or 7 people out on Moses Lake to the North of I-90 at 7:45 AM Fri. 1-18-13. There is open water at I-90!!