salmon on the fly

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
shawn
Commander

salmon on the fly

Post by shawn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:00 am

I was out fly fishing the saltwater yesterday for chum.I had a few hook ups and some lost all but one.Talk about a powerful fish.Has anyone else ever hooked-up with a salmon in the salt on fly?The reason I ask I've tried this for cays and only now have caught a chum.I've caught a couple silvers on the fly.Totaly diffrent kind of fight more in the air with the jumps.But not the brute force or out right power of a chum.Let me know.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:salmon on the fly

Post by A9 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 pm

It's awesome isn't it. I did it up in Canada off a boat and you could get a big silver every 10-15 minutes...That was a kick, it just took the energy out of you after a few hours...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Been about 10 years but was up in Alaska near Glacier Bay fly fishing for coho in the estuaries of the East River
and it was the best I've ever done. Lot's of 10 to 15 pounders. Would run way into the backing 2 or 3 times before I could get them in to pull the hook and let them go.

Been looking for a place to fly fish here but it's kind of tough. If you find a good spot it will be overrun with bait fishers and you are afraid to fish because you will probably hang your fly in someone's ear on the backcast.

Tried working the "tanker truck" coho in eastern riffe lake last weekend with an egg sucking leech to no avail. Could see lots of fish swirling but they wouldn't take the fly. It was kind of nice though because there were only 2 other boats on the water. Definitely not combat fishing.

A close associate has informed me that there's a december run of hooknose coho in the Willapa River. If we have any nice weather this december I may take run out there and get the ol' eggsucking leech wet one more time.

Also i checked out access on the Satsop a couple of weeks back and there are some spots with good flyfishing potential. Just plan on hitting it on a weekday and when the river flow us under about 1500cfs to avoid crowds and high, dangerous water.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

w7co
Petty Officer

Post by w7co » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:29 pm

I also was a local chum fishery yesterday. There were still quite a few chum available but they seemed darker than 3 weeks ago. That was when I hooked my first salmon on a fly. Boy what a thrill. I knew chum were tough customers from prior experience using bait casting equipment.

Yesterday I didn't do quite as well but there were 3 other fly fisherman just down the stream from me and they were killing them. When asked they were using split shot to get the fly down. I was using intermeadiate sinking line and a weighted fly but I guess it was'nt enough. I did manage a few hook ups and landed one. A chum on a fly rod is the ultimate experience around here.

Mike

carl
Angler

Post by carl » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Salt water chums on a fly.Thats awsome I do alot of saltwater fly fishing for Trout
but have not hooked a salmon yet. Except for humpys. What kind of fly for chum?
I use alot of Clouser minnow patterns or even top water poppers.
good luck out there. slamminsalmon24@yahoo.com
passlakefly.com
Attachments
100_0511.JPG
100_0511.JPG (462.62 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
100_0504.JPG
100_0504.JPG (473.13 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”