Placement of downriggers

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: Placement of downriggers

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 am

Mock mounting them works best. By that I mean, while standing inside the boat. Set the downrigger on the top side of the boat were it can be mounted. Boom pointing out as if mounted in that spot. Move it back and forth, using one hand to temporarily hold the dr into place. With the free hand on the handle. You will get a feel for how far back you can go on your boat, and still "COMFORTABLY" operate the downrigger. You will see posistion #3, in your boat does not function well for ease of use. While positions 2, and 3 are comfortable and much safer. Consider (imagine) the cable angle when trolling, and that proximity to the kicker motor.

While doing this. Most importantly, consider what might have to happen to install the downrigger on the narrow surface your boat has for mounting the downrigger base (from your picture of ol' blue. Top, flat surface of side of boat is 3"). That's not wide enough to install a dr base, and use all 4 holes in the mounting plate. 2 of he holes will likely be out in space. How accessible is that spot to reach a hand, for threading a washer and lock nut onto the threaded bolt, from the underside?. You will have to reach your hand, most times blindly because of space limitations.

Many times, the location you choose to mount the DR. Will be restricted to whether or not a nut can be placed on a threaded bolt. When a hole is drilled into the boat at that spot. Accessibility, for proper installation is a major factor!. If not accessible. The only option is 4 screws, and I would not trust a screw for holding on a downrigger!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:19 am

MotoBoat wrote:Mock mounting them works best. By that I mean, while standing inside the boat. Set the downrigger on the top side of the boat were it can be mounted. Boom pointing out as if mounted in that spot. Move it back and forth, using one hand to temporarily hold the dr into place. With the free hand on the handle. You will get a feel for how far back you can go on your boat, and still "COMFORTABLY" operate the downrigger. You will see posistion #3, in your boat does not function well for ease of use. While positions 2, and 3 are comfortable and much safer. Consider (imagine) the cable angle when trolling, and that proximity to the kicker motor.

While doing this. Most importantly, consider what might have to happen to install the downrigger on the narrow surface your boat has for mounting the downrigger base (from your picture of ol' blue. Top, flat surface of side of boat is 3"). That's not wide enough to install a dr base, and use all 4 holes in the mounting plate. 2 of he holes will likely be out in space. How accessible is that spot to reach a hand, for threading a washer and lock nut onto the threaded bolt, from the underside?. You will have to reach your hand, most times blindly because of space limitations.

Many times, the location you choose to mount the DR. Will be restricted to whether or not a nut can be placed on a threaded bolt. When a hole is drilled into the boat at that spot. Accessibility, for proper installation is a major factor!. If not accessible. The only option is 4 screws, and I would not trust a screw for holding on a downrigger!
Steve Ericsson, I hope, will make brackets. He is awesome at that type of stuff...you have seen what he can do for rod holders on those big boats.
I think you meant #1 position not #3 because of the glass? You mentioned 3 twice.

There is a lot of foam under those gunnels.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:44 am

Toni wrote:
MotoBoat wrote:Mock mounting them works best. By that I mean, while standing inside the boat. Set the downrigger on the top side of the boat were it can be mounted. Boom pointing out as if mounted in that spot. Move it back and forth, using one hand to temporarily hold the dr into place. With the free hand on the handle. You will get a feel for how far back you can go on your boat, and still "COMFORTABLY" operate the downrigger. You will see posistion #3, in your boat does not function well for ease of use. While positions 2, and 3 are comfortable and much safer. Consider (imagine) the cable angle when trolling, and that proximity to the kicker motor.

Steve Ericsson, I hope, will make brackets. He is awesome at that type of stuff...you have seen what he can do for rod holders on those big boats.
I think you meant #1 position not #3 because of the glass? You mentioned 3 twice.

There is a lot of foam under those gunnels.
Toni, your right about the position #. I could not go back far enough in the posted message string. To view your picture including the various 1, 2, and #3 mounting positions, and got them cornfused. If position #3 is furthest back, then the first mention of #3, is correct. But the second mention of position #3 should be replaced with #1 in my comment.

How is the boat project coming? Yes, Steve is a awesome fabricator to have as your friend. He might have discussed the dr mounting issue with you already?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:56 am

I haven't talked with him yet. He has been manufacturing. And I just dropped the downriggers off Saturday. Since they are manual I hope that they will only be temporary. I don't want to use them in the sound. Too much cranking.
The red boat and a trailer are gone. I have got a bench seat for the boat in the back. Tomorrow I will have 2 boxes for the driver and passenger to put my swivel seats on.
We are still evaluating the Mariner motor but I have the Evinrude and controllers.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:38 pm

Toni, do you remember my DR mounts on the Seaswirl? I used the slide in variation, which allowed me to mount my riggers on a narrow gunnel. Another advantage is the downrigger is attached to the mount and I can slide the whole thing out and store safe and easily away from the boat, if need be. Just another option, especially for a narrow gunnel.
Attachments
mount.jpg
mount.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 pm

No Mike I don't remember. I remember the fish!

Today was take out seats and look at downrigger placement.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 pm

got mine as far back as i can, although where your putting yours seems like the best place for you boat unless you moved them up close to the cleat.
Attachments
DR placement (640x480).jpg
DR placement (640x480).jpg (189.99 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:58 pm

I will be sitting by the cleat with the kicker there.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 am

sickbayer wrote:got mine as far back as i can, although where your putting yours seems like the best place for you boat unless you moved them up close to the cleat.
More important, the beer placement is perfect. [drool]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 am

Mike Carey wrote:
sickbayer wrote:got mine as far back as i can, although where your putting yours seems like the best place for you boat unless you moved them up close to the cleat.
More important, the beer placement is perfect. [drool]
:cheers: The other side was just as perfect! :cheers: Dragging a line. A good sandwitch, chips and beer, followed up with a tasty cigar and another beer. Doesn't get much better than that!!! [thumbsup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Amen. Man, I can't wait for spring and kokanee fishing again.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:33 pm

I've been watching this thread and decided that I'd add a little food for thought to the downrigger placement question. I have a boat with an outboard motor. My boat does not have an offshore bracket and thus, the outboard motor is hung straight off the transom as is the kicker motor. I mention this as Toni's boat shares these traits and it makes, in my opinion, a difference where you want to place your downriggers. I chose to place mine in what would be termed position 2. On a boat like mine this would place the downrigger mount just aft of the splashwell or just forward of the cleat on Toni's boat. What I've found is that this positioning allows me to access the downrigger without reaching and keeps the line out of the kicker, with my 48" boom. I do use long release clips and a retrieval system for the weights which makes the operation of the system that much easier and safer. If you have the riggers mounted all the way back on a boat with a splashwell, you may encounter difficulties reaching and operating the downriggers, not to mention it being next to impossible to remove the salad that can collect on the lines out in the Sound. I use an extendable boat hook for this function, which also works for clip and weight retrieval if one is so inclined. Also, if you plan to use the downrigger's rod holders, it can be an issue when you have to reach for and remove the rod with a big fish on the other end of the line. This position also places the downrigger in a position to allow solo netting. If you use a separate rod holder, make sure it is of the quick removable type, as you'll want it out of the way when you have a net in hand.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm

So Toni, where did they end up? As you know mine are located somewhere between position 2 and 3. For my boat the set up works out perfect.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:21 pm

rseas wrote:So Toni, where did they end up? As you know mine are located somewhere between position 2 and 3. For my boat the set up works out perfect.

They are in the bench seat eenakok and his dad gave me. The boat has no floor and most of the stringers are gone. I don't know when they will get on the boat.