2012 Rule Change Proposals - Walleye & Bass

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TroutSnipr
Commander

Re: 2012 Rule Change Proposals - Walleye & Bass

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Bodofish wrote:I suggest a remedial reading course. Last post.
The California hatcheries raised catfish which are definitely not trout. I have anecdotal evidence from a trusted family member that the issue has occurred with other large state run programs. I am just trying to add some information and not taking one side or another nor have I felt the need to try to discourage anyone else's views. I will bow out of the matter at this point. Please resume discussion.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Sorry guys, my apologies, I've been a bit crabby lately for an unrelated issue and for that I apologise to everyone, none of you deserve any of it. Sorry.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Hey we all have our moments. At work the level of stupid this holiday season has been off the freakin' charts...
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:13 am

Bass and walleye are stupid, ugly fish that don't belong in the big river. Go fish the potholes or above cheif Joe. Salmon and steelhead have been spawning in the river for possibly millions of years. And yes there are lots of reasons that they are in decline, but why let them be slaughtered wholesale buy some invasive crappy fish from back east, dropped into the river by some jackass with a bucket of fish from some nasty swamp somewhere.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 am

Bodo, If a fish is manipulated by man it is a hybrid.
With that being said I would like to point out that with all the prey items you mentioned I expected you would leave out the fry and smolt they consume. I would also like to remind you that just a few years ago there was a very large number of Triploids that made it over Chief Joseph Dam. This promted a higher limit to anglers.
Trout feed on Walleye and Bass as much as Walleye and Bass feed on Trout.
I also saw were you accused bucket bios for the Walleye being here.
Noone seems to know for sure. Some say they came from back east, some say they came down from Canada. Until a DNA study is done on them we will not be sure. If they did come down the river they belong there as much as the Salmon and Steelhead.

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas and I wish you all a very happy and safe new year.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 am

YellowBear wrote:Bodo, If a fish is manipulated by man it is a hybrid.
With that being said I would like to point out that with all the prey items you mentioned I expected you would leave out the fry and smolt they consume. I would also like to remind you that just a few years ago there was a very large number of Triploids that made it over Chief Joseph Dam. This promted a higher limit to anglers.
Trout feed on Walleye and Bass as much as Walleye and Bass feed on Trout.
I also saw were you accused bucket bios for the Walleye being here.
Noone seems to know for sure. Some say they came from back east, some say they came down from Canada. Until a DNA study is done on them we will not be sure. If they did come down the river they belong there as much as the Salmon and Steelhead.

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas and I wish you all a very happy and safe new year.
Wrong that is not what a hybrid is and Triploids are still not hybrids.

Hybrid (biology)
In biology and specifically, genetics, the term hybrid has several meanings, all referring to the offspring of sexual reproduction.[1]
1.In general usage, hybrid is synonymous with heterozygous: any offspring resulting from the mating of two genetically distinct individuals
2.a genetic hybrid carries two different alleles of the same gene
3.a structural hybrid results from the fusion of gametes that have differing structure in at least one chromosome, as a result of structural abnormalities
4.a numerical hybrid results from the fusion of gametes having different haploid numbers of chromosomes
5.a permanent hybrid is a situation where only the heterozygous genotype occurs, because all homozygous combinations are lethal.

From a taxonomic perspective, hybrid refers to:
1.Offspring resulting from the interbreeding between two animals or plants of different species.[2] See also hybrid speciation.
2.Hybrids between different subspecies within a species (such as between the Bengal tiger and Siberian tiger) are known as intra-specific hybrids. Hybrids between different species within the same genus (such as between lions and tigers) are sometimes known as interspecific hybrids or crosses. Hybrids between different genera (such as between sheep and goats) are known as intergeneric hybrids. Extremely rare interfamilial hybrids have been known to occur (such as the guineafowl hybrids).[3] No interordinal (between different orders) animal hybrids are known.
3.The third type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:26 am

for the sake of (lack of) argument.... lets call triploid and hatchery fish "farm raised trout".

Lundegard
Angler

Post by Lundegard » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Then there sure are alot of farm-raised salmon and farm-raised steelhead in the Columbia River. On the other hand, are there any farm-raised walleye or farm-raised bass in the Columbia River?