Placement of downriggers

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Placement of downriggers

Post by Toni » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:43 am

I have seen placements of downriggers in boats and they are always the same (2). But at a seminar last year Gary Mirales said to place them as far forward as possible (1) so that you can get behind them and away from the cable if it isn't up. Then I saw a video of Sekiu coho where the down rigger was at the very back (3).

What I would like to know is why you, who have downriggers, chose to have them placed there?

Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

zen leecher
Commander

Re: Placement of downriggers

Post by zen leecher » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 am

Toni, mark how far back you can stand in your boat. That's the general area you want to mount downriggers.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 am

zen leecher wrote:Toni, mark how far back you can stand in your boat. That's the general area you want to mount downriggers.

How far back at the rear of the boat? I can go all the way to the splash well in front of the transom.

Actually, I don't know where I stand as I haven't fished in it yet. But I have fished in others boat (#2) and thought that #1 placement would be better but they have bench seats at the side where #1 would go and they have a top and curtains. Their boats are longer too.
I don't think I will ever have a top and curtains so I won't have that as a concern.
The kicker will be at the back on the transom on a kicker bracket.

Also, that picture isn't of my boat. It is just for orientation. #1 means at the back of the front seats, #2 would be about 12 inches from there and #3 as far back as possible.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 am

You want them as far back as you can place them and still work with them. Farther back = Less chance of catching the line in your prop. Less issues turning too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:38 am

Bodofish wrote:You want them as far back as you can place them and still work with them. Farther back = Less chance of catching the line in your prop. Less issues turning too.

When you say as far back as possible are you indicating toward position #3?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 am

Toni wrote:
Bodofish wrote:You want them as far back as you can place them and still work with them. Farther back = Less chance of catching the line in your prop. Less issues turning too.

When you say as far back as possible are you indicating toward position #3?
If you can still operate the downrigger at position 3 then yes. Another consideration is if you put the downriggers in position 2 or 1 you will need the longer booms to get the lines away from the kicker.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 am

On my boat I have them located at position 3. The layout of the boat dictated that but I have had no problem with fowling and they are quite easy to work with. Mine also have the shorter arms but tight turns have not been an issue if needed.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 am

Racer wrote:On my boat I have them located at position 3. The layout of the boat dictated that but I have had no problem with fowling and they are quite easy to work with. Mine also have the shorter arms but tight turns have not been an issue if needed.
Position 3 is without question the best place to put them.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:21 pm

when i boat my sled it came with down riggers, they were all the way foward (1). after one season of losing gear due to the prop i moved them all the way back. problem solved. a little stick with a hook on the end to grab the clips helps a little.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:when i boat my sled it came with down riggers, they were all the way foward (1). after one season of losing gear due to the prop i moved them all the way back. problem solved. a little stick with a hook on the end to grab the clips helps a little.
[wink] yep, I keep a stick with a hook and I also use the Scotty line pullers, I have the long booms and it takes both.

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:18 pm

I agree with Racer. If you have them set up at position #1 and your fowling your prop the rigs are set too shallow. Simple, one would think. Position #1 is for ease of grabbing the pole and setting the hook of course. I run Scotty 1050"s on both sides of my Lund 1625 Rebel and haven't had any problems and I'm a totally novice salmon fisherman!! Just sayin'.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Mine are about position 1.5 on the boat. You don't want them too far back such as position 3 as you will have to climb on the seats to use the downriggers. Boat turns aren't as big an issue as it would seem. The biggest problem is having the two lure tangle together on turns if they are 20-30 feet behind the clip.

The best tip I would give is to to a place that does downrigger installations and ask what placement they recommend.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Position (2) is the best. I've used downriggers for 30 years and I'm on my 4th boat with DRs mounted on it. My current boat is a 2005 North River Seahawk. Position (1) is vulnerable to a severe cross current like you get on the west side of Possession in a strong tide or even a strong crosswind that tends to push the boat sideways over the cable. Very possible to get the cable crosswise under the boat near your prop. (3) may make it hard to reach the cable release, you'd have to lean way back over the transom, not good in rough water. I have got the cable cut and tangled in the prop twice. Both in the 80's when I had an 18' Glas Ply with an I/O and the mount at (1).. both times in a cross current. I now use (2) and I have one of those circular prop guards on my T8 kicker. Good investment!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:44 pm

As far back as you can safely reach and operate them. If that's position 2 or 3, that's where they should be. I've got mine at the equivalent of position 3 and installed one of these for bringing weights or quick release to the side without having to lean over the gunwale, works great too. [thumbup]

Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I have those pullers on my Scottys too. But I replaced the black rope with another one that is thicker and softer and not so hard on my fingers!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Toni, I have a boat very similar to your boat floor plan. Splash well, with the vinyl curtain to hide gas tanks, battery in a plastic box, fuel lines, electric wires and such. Because of the splash well, my downriggers are at position 2. The downrigger base is about 1 foot in front of the splash well, toward the bow. Another reason to mount them as far back as possible is so the downrigger cable on the outside of the turn, has a harder time rubbing against the side of your boat. Which could, after hours of fishing wear a weak spot in the cable.

I run two downriggers, both have short booms on them. You have to be aware of how sharp a turn you can take before cables get close to rubbing on the side of the boat or close to the kicker prop. It takes too sharp a turn in my opinion for either to occur with the downrigger posistion of #2, on my boat. I like not having to reach way out to grab the cable or need a rope to aid with reaching the cable. A couple less things to catch hooks on, or get tangled up in. I find having swivel bases on my downriggers are invaluable. Because no mater which of the three posistions, you choose. The downrigger boom is always in the way of the net! But if the boom swivels parallel with the side of the boat, it is totally out of the way!. Plus, with a swivel base, one can take advantage of swiveling the boom forward or aft, to place the cable closer to side of the boat. For less reach, or no reach at all.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:07 am

Swivel base [thumbsup]

No swivel base [thumbdn]

Only way I'd have a downrigger without a swivel base would be on a 10' - 14' open boat with a clamp on style d/r.

If you want mounting flexibility, use a track, then you can put the downrigger mount anywhere you want. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:34 am

hewesfisher wrote:As far back as you can safely reach and operate them. If that's position 2 or 3, that's where they should be. I've got mine at the equivalent of position 3 and installed one of these for bringing weights or quick release to the side without having to lean over the gunwale, works great too. [thumbup]

I made a homemade version of this using a clip, rope, and pipe insulation to float it (which is what the yellow piece does). Doesn't look as pretty but works great and only cost a couple bucks.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:27 am

zen leecher wrote:Mine are about position 1.5 on the boat. You don't want them too far back such as position 3 as you will have to climb on the seats to use the downriggers. Boat turns aren't as big an issue as it would seem. The biggest problem is having the two lure tangle together on turns if they are 20-30 feet behind the clip.

The best tip I would give is to to a place that does downrigger installations and ask what placement they recommend.
The main reason I'm against getting the downriggers too far aft is you will be bent too far over when fishing bumpy conditions in salt water and can end up overboard. I favor an upright position around the 1.5 location, about as far back as your feet go when coming up against the rear seat positions.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 pm

The placements on my boats will only be a few feet apart. I don't think I will be able to put them in the #3 position.