Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Steelhead Reports and Pics 2012-2013

Post by racfish » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 am

The Vedder has probably the finest runs of salmon and steel. Even when I went to WWSC it was bar none the best fishing river around. You can claim BS on Freak but if you never fished the Vedder then yo should keep quiet. JMO The same on the Umquah in Oregon.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Metal wrote:6000 divided by 50 is 120 freak. I wish each spawning pair of broodstock created at least 120 adults. LMFAO!!

God you just wont shut the hell up huh, i was in contact with the broodstock program on the vedder one year because i was thinking of catching broodstock wild fish for them. They take between 50 and 75 pairs a season. The return of 6000 hatch fish IS OBVIOUSLY NOT ALL ONE YEAR FISH, you think the 5 lb hatch fish and the 19 lber that won the derby are all from the same year? LMFAO!!! Like i said before, broodstock on the vedder is INCREDIBLY successful and every year they have 1 salt 2 salt 3 salt 4 salt and 5 salts mixed in with most being 2-3 salts. So the 6000 is split between 5 generations, meaning probably 1500 fish return from 60 or so pairs, putting it at 25 fish per pair. Totally reasonable, wanna know why its so good? They release the smolts at 12-16 inches, increasing their survival 10x compared to releasing at a much smaller size. I have talked about it directly to the guys running the program many times, but your middle school math is probably more reliable! :-({|=
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:58 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
Metal wrote:6000 divided by 50 is 120 freak. I wish each spawning pair of broodstock created at least 120 adults. LMFAO!!

God you just wont shut the hell up huh, i was in contact with the broodstock program on the vedder one year because i was thinking of catching broodstock wild fish for them. They take between 50 and 75 pairs a season. The return of 6000 hatch fish IS OBVIOUSLY NOT ALL ONE YEAR FISH, you think the 5 lb hatch fish and the 19 lber that won the derby are all from the same year? LMFAO!!! Like i said before, broodstock on the vedder is INCREDIBLY successful and every year they have 1 salt 2 salt 3 salt 4 salt and 5 salts mixed in with most being 2-3 salts. So the 6000 is split between 5 generations, meaning probably 1500 fish return from 60 or so pairs, putting it at 25 fish per pair. Totally reasonable, wanna know why its so good? They release the smolts at 12-16 inches, increasing their survival 10x compared to releasing at a much smaller size. I have talked about it directly to the guys running the program many times, but your middle school math is probably more reliable! :-({|=

FF owns

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:29 pm

[thumbsup]

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:34 pm

fishenfreak wrote:

Someone sounds grumpy, no fishing today? [flapper] hahaha

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Come on now... you know i dont have skunk days... :tongue: :tongue: . Haha, no but i am kinda tired of all the BS in my pictures thread

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 pm

So any good picks or reports from anyone? Seems like reports are not real bright lately.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Metal wrote:.both of our math is wrong because none of the two if us work at the hatchery.
i dont have to work at the hatchery to know my numbers are correct. Like i said i worked with the program 2 years ago. Next time ya claim BS maybe get a fact or 2!

Prime time, no, reports are not great, lol. low water is killing me, high water isnt gonna help the cascade regardless cause it sucks, but maybe my other rivers if we can get a higher snow level and some serious water, tough right now, some days one 1 or 2 chances a day........ [thumbdn]
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm

have ya saved um to your computer? when you post a reply, right under the submit button, to the left there will be a tab that says upload attachment, click on that and it will take you to your files, pick the photo, it might be too big to start, if it says too big when you try to upload you have to edit it with paint or something to a smaller size! lets see the steel!!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Metal wrote:They're on my iPhone. How does that work? Oh and I'm just trying to ruffle your feathers on the whole vedder deal. Really I could care less because my younger more eventful days prevents me from visiting our brothers up north
Lol, crazy how many of my buddies cant go up either... The deal is i met with them, talked to them at the hatchery did all the stuff to get ready, and ended up not doing any broodstock collection, but i learned all about the program. thats why i am so pro-broodstock, i really have no idea how successful it is down here, but up there... take 50 pairs out of a 10000 strong wild run, and produce 6000 hatch fish a year? THAT UNREAL. Your gonna have to connect your IPHONE to your computer and upload the pics to your files then do what i told ya in the last message

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
Metal wrote:.both of our math is wrong because none of the two if us work at the hatchery.
i dont have to work at the hatchery to know my numbers are correct. Like i said i worked with the program 2 years ago. Next time ya claim BS maybe get a fact or 2!

Prime time, no, reports are not great, lol. low water is killing me, high water isnt gonna help the cascade regardless cause it sucks, but maybe my other rivers if we can get a higher snow level and some serious water, tough right now, some days one 1 or 2 chances a day........ [thumbdn]
Well regardless. I'm still pumped for our trip!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 pm

primetime wrote: Well regardless. I'm still pumped for our trip!
by that time ,we HAVE TO get some rain, if we do, hopefully it will be on the drop when we go and fishing should be pretty dang good! never know with these steelies, but rain will surely help

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:14 pm

I remember last year at my winter break we had no rain. The river was crazy low and clear

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:17 pm

primetime wrote:I remember last year at my winter break we had no rain. The river was crazy low and clear
yep, i remember, but the run was STRONG, i had fish in my low water holes, caught 5-10 a day, it was so easy! this year, they just arent coming, and its been plenty high enough, thats the crazy part, last year it was good in crazy low and this year it sucks in perfect water, BUT, lol, like i said, ive scouted some new water, and if we get some rain, the rods will be bent!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Metal wrote:File is too big on my iPhone. Everyone is just going to have to use their imagination for now
Lol, you can try to click on it in your files and click edit, and resize, but its a tough process, for now ill imagine a 19lb hatchery buck and a 14lb chromer hen on the stringer

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Metal wrote:I'm not grumpy I got 2 today. Not a banner day but hey what the heck. Nate this is a very difficult situation that involved politics tribes and other entities. I have some ideas but the whole situation is garbage. They should have just used stock from the fishes natal streams from the get go. Whoever thought that spreading skamania and chambers stock all over the place was a good idea was probably going mad at the time. And FF my post might have been a bit snide and I am sorry for that but u didn't insult you and I guarantee you wouldn't try to bring up some sarcastic remark about my math skills in person. Anyways back to the subject of the veddar.....both of our math is wrong because none of the two if us work at the hatchery.
lol I can tell you are talking about the bogy/calawah, I think it is stupid that they use chambers for winters and skamania for summers. I bet rivers would get better runs if they did not bonk everything that comes through and takes eggs from a river that is nowhere even near. That is probally why returns are so low because the genes are not adapted for that certain river thus not very good survival.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 am

Come on now... you know i dont have skunk days... . Haha, no but i am kinda tired of all the BS in my pictures thread

Image I know I know! You are just testing a couple new lures and they aren't working.

ImageImage
Tom.

Interests: living

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:33 pm

I think I need to find a bigger cooler...
Attachments
IMG_2869sm.jpg
IMG_2869sm.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Nice fat steel gringo, Pig!!!!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Ilike your highlights on your tail... [wub] nice lil ms piggy plus 5 pounds of eggs egual big success good job [thumbup]